Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love reading anonymously.  I mean, really love it!  And I'm not even reading anything juicy or eyebrow raising.

I'm one of those people who will pick up and read anything that catches my eye.  I always hated my entire personality being judged by what I happen to be reading at that particular moment.  Ever since I received my Kindle not a single person has said.."Why on earth are you reading that???"  I love that!

I had no idea this was going to be such a positive factor for me.  Anyone else feel this way?

Deb

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Absolutely!  I love that no one can tell whether or not I'm reading "A Brief History of Time" or "The Impetuous Pirate".  Also, it looks technical to people who don't know what it is, so they automatically think I'm smarter than I may actually be.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Yes, I agree, this is a major bonus especially since I've been on a tear with "naked torso" books  ;)

L

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree completely! I am in my late 30's and I am reading the Private series which is meant for teenage
girls. I am glad that no one knows what I am reading. Can you imagine the looks I would get if they
could see the cover?

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
When Harry Potter first came out in the UK I heard that there were different covers so that adults could read the books without feeling embarrassed. So I am guessing that the ability to hide what you are reading is appreciated by many.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I am going back and reading (Or re-reading!) many books that could be considered childrens books, Alice in wonderland, through the looking glass, wizard of oz, the Narnia series, etc. I appreciate that this mid-fifties man doesn't have to explain what he's reading.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I am so with you on this one.  I have been known to pick up both trash and treasure as I call them.  I find that I get just as much enjoyment from both.  Sometimes you just can't pick up anything too heavy to read if there is a lot of stress in your life at that time.  Sometimes you just need to escape.  I have some friends that think those books are beneath them so I am glad that they can't see either. 

If you have both kinds on your kindle just pull up the other if they ask to see the Kindle.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Marguerite said:
I am so with you on this one. I have been known to pick up both trash and treasure as I call them. I find that I get just as much enjoyment from both. Sometimes you just can't pick up anything too heavy to read if there is a lot of stress in your life at that time. Sometimes you just need to escape. I have some friends that think those books are beneath them so I am glad that they can't see either.

If you have both kinds on your kindle just pull up the other if they ask to see the Kindle.
lol, that can present some exciting challeneges. My manager wanted me to bring in my kindle so his manager could see it. I had to find a really creative way to arrange the contents so the book at the top wasn't "His Lady Mistress". (What? It was free!)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I don't care what people think about my reading. If anybody raises an eyebrow about it and has the temerity to offer an unsolicited comment, I'll return the favor, and ask 'em what the hell they were thinking when they bought that outfit they got on.

Public scrutiny of my google searches on the other hand, now that's a different story, hehe.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I agree! I really don't care if people see what I am reading to the most extent, but I am working in a somewhat rarefied academic environment and if I decide I want to read some light fluff book, before the Kindle I would get these "looks" from some people that I had to work with and who made some snap decisions about me based off of what I happened to be reading at that time. That did factor into their interactions with me for a bit which impacted my project and was very frustrating.

With my Kindle I can now read anything I want and not worry about it. It is annoying that I have to even think about it but when working with folks who base your worth on silly things and then treat you as intellectually inferior because of it...aarrrggghhh. Without a doubt, a Kindle benefit!

·
Registered
123 Posts
That is a great perk. I don't know if I care or not.  I know I'm guilty of judging what people are reading, I have SOME NERVE!  But I have noticed a lot of people look at me 'oddly' if I am reading a classic.  You know, because I'm black, I should be reading some urban-fiction instead of Henry James.   ::)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
busy91 said:
That is a great perk. I don't know if I care or not. I know I'm guilty of judging what people are reading, I have SOME NERVE! But I have noticed a lot of people look at me 'oddly' if I am reading a classic. You know, because I'm black, I should be reading some urban-fiction instead of Henry James. ::)
Shouldn't you be reading vampire novels? (lol, I think everyone should read vampire novels.) It works both ways, I guess. I got an omnibus edition of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy while in college that was bound exactly like a bible, if you didn't look at the title. I took it on a field trip, and didn't get interrupted for 3. straight. hours. b/c everyone thought I was deeply religious and they didn't want to disturb me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Shouldn't you be reading vampire novels? (lol, I think everyone should read vampire novels.) It works both ways, I guess. I got an omnibus edition of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy while in college that was bound exactly like a bible, if you didn't look at the title. I took it on a field trip, and didn't get interrupted for 3. straight. hours. b/c everyone thought I was deeply religious and they didn't want to disturb me.
LOL! I see everyone and their mother reading the Twilight series. It is like Harry Potter all over again (which by the way I read and didn't care who knew it). :D

·
Registered
493 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Was that the black leather edition with gold leaf and gilt edges? I had that one, it was my favorite book.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Encender Vaquero said:
Was that the black leather edition with gold leaf and gilt edges? I had that one, it was my favorite book.
That's the exact one. Had a satin ribbon in it as a bookmark. People only looked at you funny when you laughed out loud. ;D Coincidentally, there's been a version of Lamb published in the same style.

busy91 said:
LOL! I see everyone and their mother reading the Twilight series. It is like Harry Potter all over again (which by the way I read and didn't care who knew it). :D
I started reading those when I worked at the airport, and everyone laughed at me for reading children's books. So I started reading them out loud during our slack times. By the time the fourth one came out (I think it was the fourth one: Goblet of Fire, in any case), people were asking me to get them copies at the midnight party b/c they knew I'd be going. It was hilarious. I liked the Twilight series for what it was. I also like the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. I'm outside the target audience for both series, but still enjoyed them. Fortunately, however, I read all of Twilight on my kindle, so nobody could tell what I was reading. If I read the next Laurell Hamilton book, it will be on kindle. Too many people recognize the name now to carry her books out in public with the covers on them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You should have seen the looks i got reading the hardcopy version of "The God Delusion". I felt like people were going to attack me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
KindleKid said:
You should have seen the looks i got reading the hardcopy version of "The God Delusion". I felt like people were going to attack me.
LOL, at least you were only going to be attacked. Around here they would try to convert you. Attack only followed if you did not bow to their beliefs after the preaching.

·
Registered
115 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Absolutely! I love that no one can tell whether or not I'm reading "A Brief History of Time" or "The Impetuous Pirate". Also, it looks technical to people who don't know what it is, so they automatically think I'm smarter than I may actually be.
LOL!

I've never really noticed that people judge me based on what I'm reading. But I also must admit I'm not much of a public reader.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That reason was one of the things I used to justify the purchase of my Kindle.  There were books I wanted to read, but didn't want to be "seen" reading.  I like reading things I disagree with, perhaps I might actually LEARN something.  I doubt it will change my mind, but the last thing I would want is to get into a fight with some stranger.  Politics and religion are not topics I want to debate with strangers.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts