Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a bummer!! On the positive side, I called Kindle customer service this morning and they are sending me a replacement. Unfortunately, the new unit will probably not get to me until Friday.

I received my KDX on Friday. Plugged it in. Turned it on. Used Whispernet to transfer about 350 books. Put it to sleep. We had a trip this weekend so didn't get to play with it. Got home late last night and went to bed. Got up this morning and grabbed the KDX, wrapped it in a towel and brought it to work with me. On my first break, I slid the button on top to wake it up and one side of my screen was black and the other side white. I tried resetting and everything I could think of and nothing happened. After I stopped crying, I called customer service. The rep I got was very nice. I explained the situation and she said she would send a new one, but that it wouldn't get to me until Friday. This caused a few more tears, but oh well, at least they are replacing it.

Now, I just have to hope UPS does better than last time. We are leaving on Friday to go to Denver for the weekend. I guess we will sit here and wait for UPS and hope they get here by 6:00pm.

So, all in all, I would have to say customer service rocks. I just wish I didn't have to wait another week.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hope your replacement is a good one.  I'm so thankful my K2 has not had any problems since I received it on 2/24/09. I'm surprised you have to wait all week to get your replacement, I thought they usually sent those out overnight.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kevin63 said:
Hope your replacement is a good one. I'm so thankful my K2 has not had any problems since I received it on 2/24/09. I'm surprised you have to wait all week to get your replacement, I thought they usually sent those out overnight.
I also thought they sent them out overnight. I asked if they were out and the rep said she did not have that information. She said her computer just showed 6/19 as estimated delivery date. So, maybe I will get it sooner, but I am not going to hold my breath. I'm just happy they are replacing it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you get a UPS tracking number, be sure to track it on the actual UPS site instead of Amazon. You will get more accurate information directly from UPS.

·
Registered
921 Posts
They might go out overnight, but I notice the new *instock date* is the 17th, so it's possible they don't have one to send until then.

I'm very sorry yours isn't working.  I hope they get it replaced soon for you!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
love2read said:
If you get a UPS tracking number, be sure to track it on the actual UPS site instead of Amazon. You will get more accurate information directly from UPS.
I always track directly on the UPS website. Problem is UPS never shows up where I live until 6:00pm at the earliest. If they don't get here by 6:00pm, the gate to our community is locked and UPS has to try to deliver again the next day. (I don't like UPS...lol.)

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
JetJammer said:
They might go out overnight, but I notice the new *instock date* is the 17th, so it's possible they don't have one to send until then.

I'm very sorry yours isn't working. I hope they get it replaced soon for you!
That is what I was thining. You are probably going to get one sent over night as soon as they are restocked.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking they had to wait for stock also. The KDX was my birthday present. I was excited to get it early, but as long as it gets here Friday I will still have it the day before my birthday...lol.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
That is terrible. I really hope your replacement gets to you before you leave for your vacation.

I wonder what the problem was with the screen. It was obviously no fault of yours so I wonder if the black/white screen will be a recurring issue on other Dx's as well?

Either way I hope your new one gets there fast and in perfect working order.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think trying to download 350 books broke your KDX.  Why do you need 350 books at one time?  Just download 20 that you might want to read or only the one you want to read then download from Amazon another from your list?  I do feel that downloading a large amount of books was the cause of the screen hanging.

Also, why is everyone checking UPS?  I am due to get my KDX via USPS.  Is there a reason why you get your Kindles by UPS and I have to wait for USPS?

Some of the things I have been reading about re the new KDX are common sense usage problems.  Everyone should read their manuals before beginning to do anything BUT charge the new unit.  I get my new KDX this Thursday and will let you know how mine turns out.

Sorry you are having such a bad time.  I think it could also have been a dud.  Hope you get it in time for your trip.  :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the support.

I don't think the problem with my screen is a frequent problem. At least not yet. If I can believe what the rep told me, mine was the first case she had of this particular issue.

I do need to call Amazon back. If they are going to have the KDX in stock 6/17, I paid for overnight shipping on my first one. They should overnight the second one as far as I am concerned. They may not see it that way, but I think I will try to convice them that would be the right thing to do. If I could receive the replacement by Thursday, I wouldn't have to sit and wait for it before we can leave. Hmmmmm. Worth a shot.  ;D

·
Registered
469 Posts
WolfePrincess73 said:
I always track directly on the UPS website. Problem is UPS never shows up where I live until 6:00pm at the earliest. If they don't get here by 6:00pm, the gate to our community is locked and UPS has to try to deliver again the next day. (I don't like UPS...lol.)
We get UPS delivery very late here too. But I don't live in a gated community. I think I would take a lawn chair and wait on the other side of the gate. Would he stop if you flagged him down? :)

Oh, I feel bad that you may have to wait. They don't come back again until Monday.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
legalbs2 said:
I think trying to download 350 books broke your KDX. Why do you need 350 books at one time? Just download 20 that you might want to read or only the one you want to read then download from Amazon another from your list? I do feel that downloading a large amount of books was the cause of the screen hanging.

Also, why is everyone checking UPS? I am due to get my KDX via USPS. Is there a reason why you get your Kindles by UPS and I have to wait for USPS?

Some of the things I have been reading about re the new KDX are common sense usage problems. Everyone should read their manuals before beginning to do anything BUT charge the new unit. I get my new KDX this Thursday and will let you know how mine turns out.

Sorry you are having such a bad time. I think it could also have been a dud. Hope you get it in time for your trip. :)
I did ask about the download. I downloaded each book, one at a time. Customer service rep said that should not have caused any kind of problem, other than I would have needed to leave it charging while it indexed, which I did.

As far as why would I need 350 books, because the KDX is supposed to hold 3,500 books and one of the reasons I like having an ebook reader is to have all my library on it. 350 is just the beginning. I have another 400 to 450 ebooks from other sources that will be added to the 350 from Amazon.

The reason my Kindle was shipped UPS is because I paid for overnight shipping. I know they use USPS when you use slower shipping methods.

Thanks, I hope I get it in time for my trip too!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
love2read said:
We get UPS delivery very late here too. But I don't live in a gated community. I think I would take a lawn chair and wait on the other side of the gate. Would he stop if you flagged him down? :)

Oh, I feel bad that you may have to wait. They don't come back again until Monday.
I told my DH that was what I was going to do. He said we were going to have to leave by 3:00pm at the latest and if UPS wasn't here by then, I would have to wait to get it until Monday anyway. So, I am going to cross my fingers for an early delivery!!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Nah, if anything, downloading might somehow cause a crash, and that would be an odd glitch, not something to be expected or feared, and that wouldn't kill the actual screen.

Really hope you get your Kindle in time for your trip!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I got an email from USPS stating the Kindle was shipping today; however, they have the incorrect zip code.  The order is right, so not sure how the zip code is incorrect.  Oh well, it will be fun to see if the KDX EVER arrives.  Anyone else have a zip code problem from shipper to carrier?  Checked my order.  All is correct.  Must be a USPS incorrect zip code entry.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.

WolfePrincess73:  I think you should encourage Amazon to do the right thing.  You paid for overnight, it should come overnight.  Also, now understand your library.  I have fingers crossed for overnight delivery for your replacement KDX.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
legalbs2 said:
I got an email from USPS stating the Kindle was shipping today; however, they have the incorrect zip code. The order is right, so not sure how the zip code is incorrect. Oh well, it will be fun to see if the KDX EVER arrives. Anyone else have a zip code problem from shipper to carrier? Checked my order. All is correct. Must be a USPS incorrect zip code entry. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

WolfePrincess73: I think you should encourage Amazon to do the right thing. You paid for overnight, it should come overnight. Also, now understand your library. I have fingers crossed for overnight delivery for your replacement KDX.
Got my fingers crossed for you! I did look at the order for the replacement and it shows it is shipping overnight. So I'm not sure why the estimated delivery date shows the 19th. I'm going to cross another set of my fingers for me that the KDX will get here on the 18th...lol! (hope no one else needs fingers crossed as I am running out of fingers!)

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I think her Kindle replacement is coming overnight. The Kindle DX will not be back in stock until the 17th and she is getting it on the 19th. That would mean that it is probably getting into warehouses on the 17th, packaged to go out on the 18th, and arriving on the 19th.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts