Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was right in the middle of the paperback "Mary Chesnut's Civil War" (it didn't come in Kindle), a very long, detailed diary of an upper class southern woman as she experienced the Civil War, when my daughter bought me a Kindle Fire HD.  I've had an old Kindle for 3 years.  Well, I just cannot keep on with my paperback (I don't read many paperbacks anymore), with a new Kindle on hand!! :) So, what I'm going to do is put Ms. Chesnut aside for awhile and start a book I've been wanting to re-read for years now, "Gone with the Wind."  For many, many years, this was my most favorite book ever.  I read it last when I was pregnant with my first child 27 years ago.  I guess since just reading "Team of Rivals" (about Lincoln), reading some about Mary Lincoln, and then some on Chesnut, I have this desire to read "Gone with the Wind" again.  GWTW is truly a masterpiece.  Not just about romance, but about survival of someone who lost their total way of life (though, of course I think slavery was horribly wrong).

Anyway, I'm a southerner, and I've always been interested in Civil War history and can't wait to visit this wonderful  book again. I started it last night.  After that I think I will read the book written (on kindle) about the story of the writing, and whole story of the book from book to movie and everything between and after. Also, Margaret Mitchell was a very interesting woman.  It's ironic that she died in the very place she wrote about.

Anyway, new meets very old here!!  :)  Anyone else a GWTW fan?

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I've read it; I think I've read it twice.  The story of how it came to be published is fascinating.  I didn't read the book you're talking about, Rhonda, but I saw a special that talked about Margaret Mitchell.  It was amazing to me how much of her own life ended up inspiring the characters in the book.

Somewhere I have Mary Chestnut's Civil War...or I did; I've been slowly purging my paper books...

Betsy

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the book about the book. I don't know how to make a link where you can just click on the book and go to the amazon page. Can someone tell me??

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Sure, Rhonda!

Go to the top of the KB page, and click on link-maker in the upper grey menu grouping--after "home, blog, facebook and twitter." Then, type in the book title or copy and paste the ASIN from the book's product page. If you enter "Gone with the Wind" you'll probably bet Gone With the Wind and this book about it as search results. Click on "make link" and then, on the right, copy and paste the information from the box for the code you want to use. Typically, we use the first image option, which follows the text option, for the book covers here.

Give it a try and let me know if you have problems.

Betsy

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have Mary Chesnut's Civil War and I've read it. It was a gift back in 1983. I also have all the editions of her diarys and have read them all. DH and I have a huge American Civil War collection. We met at a Civil War seminar at Chancellorsville.

I've read GWTW many times since I read it for the first time when I was twelve.

·
Registered
708 Posts
What I always take away from this story:

Ashley's quote about the Gotterdamerung and how the Southerners thought they were like gods. And like the gods of Norse mythology, they entered into twilight and history...

The last scene when Rhett leaves Scarlett after years of driving him away from her. As she lies in a heap of tears the author says that with the spirit of her people who didn't recognize defeat even when it looked them in the face, she defiantly says, "I'll think about it tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts