Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MetaGame has been re-released at the promotional price of $2.99! This is the first sci-fi novel ever to be published by Amazon.com's new and selective publishing division-AmazonEncore.

I guarantee you have *never* read anything like this book. Please give it a shot.

Thanks,
Sam

////////
Blurb:
Speculative science fiction at its finest, MetaGame by Sam Landstrom is a 'future gamers' field guide and a philosophical cyberpunk adventure. In this original and disturbingly irreverent prospective world, gaming is more than a diversion-and gamers are, literally, in it for life. The OverSoul, an enigmatic, unifying force, offers winners points that add up to currency. Reigning champs are given the gift of immortality-while losers are condemned to aging and death. D_Light is one of the best players in his Family and will do anything to win, even if it means committing murder. When he's invited to a MetaGame-an exclusive, high-stakes competition-he jumps at the chance. But after the first quest, D_Light's overly ambitious ways brand him a renegade. With a warped sense of freewill that is needed to prevail, D_Light must either kill someone he's grown to love-or lose everything.

·
Super Moderator
67,250 Posts
Welcome Sam! I've included the KindleBoards link to your book in the post above. . . . .

For guidelines on navigating the Boards, I suggest you check out this thread:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,36.0.html

which pretty much spells things out. And please ask if anything is not clear! Please do respond to questions about your book. . . .please also check out the other forums and become a part of the community! There's an "Intros and Welcomes" thread down below where you can tell us a bit about yourself.

Enjoy!

·
Banned
4,562 Posts
Sam Landstrom said:
I'm a new author trying to get a few readers for my first novel MetaGame. It's a large scifi novel (~400 pages) and a good value at $0.80. I'd offer it for free, but Amazon won't let me.

What about a relatively trivial reply like a simple thank you in response to someone posting that they bought it?

Feedback always appreciated. Thanks!
Hello Sam, I'm kind of new here, too and I've enjoyed everything immensely. I'm not overly familiar with all the posting/forum decorum and probably irritate everyone here with my blither/blather, but I've really got to say that you seem to have done a lot of research in your work. It sounds extremely impressive and has lots of references to things I've heard of, but don't understand. I enjoy reading and learning something new at the same time. I hope you will join in on the other threads and best wishes on your success. I'm sure that there are gazillions (I'm bad with numbers) of people out there interested in your subject matter and story line... gamers, that sort of thing. I tried my hand at Dungeons and Dragons and had a pretty awesome character for a little while. Good luck! Brendan :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brendan Carroll said:
I tried my hand at Dungeons and Dragons and had a pretty awesome character for a little while. Good luck! Brendan :)
Thanks for the warm welcome Brendan. I still play D&D and I'm 35, married with two kids. I play it with a couple of coworkers every week (we're Microsoft nerds).

Thanks also to "Ann in Arlington" for the resources. I'll check them out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi Sam--I am up to Chapter 5 and am really enjoying the book. Clever and novel concept. (ok, I said that on Amazon forums and followed you here --guess I could be considered a stalker now)

I love how sci-fi books start out using terms/situations that you don't understand at first, and then slowly the author doles out information little by little and you begin to understand what a previous reference really meant. I think you've done that very well. And the story reads very well, phrasing, etc seems natural, so I am just wrapped up in the story rather than being "aware" I am reading if you know what I mean.    So--Two thumbs up for the book so far--I am enjoying it a lot!  And BTW--I've been reading sci-fi since I was in the fifth grade and I'm not a push-over with my praise.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JeanThree said:
Hi Sam--I am up to Chapter 5 and am really enjoying the book. Clever and novel concept. (ok, I said that on Amazon forums and followed you here --guess I could be considered a stalker now)

I love how sci-fi books start out using terms/situations that you don't understand at first, and then slowly the author doles out information little by little and you begin to understand what a previous reference really meant. I think you've done that very well. And the story reads very well, phrasing, etc seems natural, so I am just wrapped up in the story rather than being "aware" I am reading if you know what I mean. So--Two thumbs up for the book so far--I am enjoying it a lot! And BTW--I've been reading sci-fi since I was in the fifth grade and I'm not a push-over with my praise.
Yes! I'm soooo happy to hear this feedback. I spent a lot of time trying to build an interesting and plausible world but I was afraid that throwing too much explanation at the reader would make reading it like slogging through a swamp... with big 'ol bugs. I think a good scifi book should prompt questions as you go. But piling up too many questions without ever giving answers reminds me of Lost or X-Files (I like those shows, but come on!). I'm glad to hear that at least some elements of the world are becoming clear as you go.

This story is going to go through several phases and there is going to be a lot to digest. I'd be very interested in hearing more from you as you go through more of the book. I value such feedback and often integrate it back into the story. I believe I can upload updated versions to Kindle. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks!
Sam

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am way into the book, location #5354. I found typo on Loc 2260-2662 "ii" instead of "it". On location 4616-20 you use ensured, but did you mean insured? Ok nuff with the picky stuff. I don't know how to reference the areas to a single number.

Except for those things, so far I wouldn't change a THING. Just fun! I love the adolescent boy jokes. A little gross, a little naughty, very funny--reminds me of my son's humor at 14+ and I don't mean this in a bad way at all. It worked.  I love the references to spanker games, great choice of nomenclature! Loved the chase scene in the spanker game, the interaction with the other players. My DH plays Warhammer and the conversations with Fantaspeak  were perfect. The names you give things in the book are spot on, just close enough to what exists in the real world. I hate it when an author chooses something stupid/wrong and you're stuck wincing every time you read it all the way through the book. I loved the walls of his house being advertising; the points-building with product referencing. Reminds me of "I'm going to Disneyworld!" The quotes at beginning of some chapters is a great way to insert info to better flesh out the specifics/background of the story.

I'm trying not to give any spoilers, but I can see how you could take aspects of this world and make lots more stories. Especially  Divine Authority. why, how, who is pulling the strings. Well, gotta go, I've got more to read, I'm gonna be so disappointed when this book ends!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JeanThree, thanks for your next installment of feedback. I fixed the typos you called and those fixes will get into my next version. I don't want you to feel obligated to edit as you go since that will take you out of the flow of reading, but if you catch something, I appreciate it.

Glad to hear that the terminology is working for you. I had gone through several iterations of some of those terms. A few are a bit geeky but I figure that's a lot of new technology-driven words are named by technophiles (e.g. "blog").

Yes, adolecent humor permeates this book. I guess this is in part because it seems to fit the society but also because I often enjoy low-brow humor.

I'm glad you liked the chase bit. The spanker ghetto took up a lot of chapters and I wanted to confirm it was worth it. The interplay between the SkinWare, the ghetto, and the various agents of the Divine Authority was complex and so I'm glad it held together.

The italisized bits at the top of some chapters (I think they're called epigraphs) is a play I borrowed from Herbert's Dune series. Mine are a bit longer and of a different style but the basic intent is the same-- flesh out and add authenticity to the world. I'm glad to hear you like them because I've wondered if these would be a bit boring to other people; however, in addition to yourself, I've heard from a few others that have read this book that the epigraphs are valuable. I will probably add more in the next version.

I look forward to any more feedback you have as you read. I wouldn't worry too much about spoilers although perhaps for the end or anything really specific, please send me mail.

Thanks!
Sam

·
Registered
446 Posts
I downloaded the sample for this and to be honest I was a bit confused at first, but as I read more of it, I became intrigued.  You have a distinct writing style that takes a bit for me to adjust to, but your concept is great!  I think I will move from sample to purchase very soon!!

Thanks!
Rachel

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for checking it out Rachel!

Ya, that first chapter is a little disorienting and I agonized over whether I should make it that way. You're being transported several generations into the future and the technology as well as the culture has shifted.

Never hesitate to be honest. I appreciate any feedback you have. Even pretty specific stuff. Just add something like
************ SPOILER ALERT ************
before the feedback. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I kinda love that confusion part at the beginning of sci-fi books if it is done well. A little is good and keeps you reading for the explanation, too much is just too confusing. I think you hit it on the mark in Metagame.

I remember one book where the subject  was talking about where he was going to check something out and I was bewildered because  he was in more than one place at the same time,(in front of AND behind a tree if I remember right) What??? how can that happen???and then you realized ( as the author slipped a few more bits of info) that the  someone was really a group of about 4-5 little dog-like aliens who acted as one through telepathic  means. Cool! But it  would've been boring if you had said, "Greelock, an alien being who consisted of a group of telepathically linked dog-like creatures peered from in front of and behind the tree at the same time" Yawn.  Anyway it was a great book-if anyone recognizes it let me know, I'd like to re-read it.

Anyway, the anticipation that answers WILL come is part of the fun!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JeanThree said:
I kinda love that confusion part at the beginning of sci-fi books if it is done well. A little is good and keeps you reading for the explanation, too much is just too confusing. I think you hit it on the mark in Metagame.
Ya, I think most sci-fi books start out a little confusing. It seems to go with the territory. However, I think it depends on the kind of sci-fi. For example, Slaughterhouse Five, a complex book, seemed pretty grounded at first to me... It was later and throughout that the book worked its mind bending magic.

Thanks again JeanThree! As before, your feedback is helpful to me.

********SPOILER ALERT************

JeanThree, did you find the chapter that detailed the fall of Queen Pheobah interesting and useful to the plot or tedious and unecessary? I've recieved feedback both ways. This is the chapter with all the "And it came to pass..." in it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sam, could you give me the chapter numbers?  I don't remember being irritated by it--but did realize it was  a foray off the beaten track. I am a pretty fast reader, so longer expositions are ok. (well, sometimes I am a good "skimmer", too.)

**maybe spoiler alert, but I'm a tryin' to be vague**
I think it highlighted the complexity and depth of the spanker games;  devotees really invested themselves in the characters of Queen Phoebah, it was a whole and almost-real world to them, so when the culmination of that game happened, the reactions of the players, and later those who heard about it  were more understandable. I especially loved the replay aspect!! I can see people quoting D_Light's quip if your book ever becomes as famous as it ought to be! (I tried to do a good rendition of it for my DH, but fell flat, I am not cool enough to carry it off.  ;)

so I will re-read and let you know of any more thoughts after you tell me the chapters, I am  too lazy to hunt through the numbers to find it. Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JeanThree, it's chapter 15. Don't feel any pressure to re-read it. You already told me the main thing I wanted to know which was whether it annoyed you-- your first impression. I'm counting your response as a "Keep it in".

Thanks!
Sam

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
marianner said:
Hey, guys, you can hide your spoilers with spoiler tags, like this:
Code:
[spoiler]Spoiler Text Here[/spoiler]
And it looks like this:
Spoiler Text Here
It figures that someone with as many posts as you would know that. :)

And so you can just highlight the blackout area and the text appears like invisible ink. Slick. Thanks marianner!

------------------------------------------
Sam Landstrom
Author of "MetaGame" for 80 cents
http://www.amazon.com/MetaGame-ebook/dp/B002AJ88LC

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I uploaded a second version of my novel MetaGame. There weren't a whole lot of changes but I wanted to fix some typos. Thanks to JeanThree for catching these!

Also, my niece redesigned my cover art. You can check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/MetaGame-ebook/dp/B002AJ88LC

We will probably rework the art at least once more. We were talking about swapping out the model.

Sam

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sam Landstrom said:
I uploaded a second version of my novel MetaGame. There weren't a whole lot of changes but I wanted to fix some typos. Thanks to JeanThree for catching these!
Sam,

I want to download the new version, but Amazon said to make sure it was up and ready - is there a way to tell from the sample that I'm getting the new version?

Karen
Books On The Knob

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
koland said:
Sam,

I want to download the new version, but Amazon said to make sure it was up and ready - is there a way to tell from the sample that I'm getting the new version?

Karen
Books On The Knob
Hi Karen, as a matter 'o fact, I did change a paragraph that should be in the sample. I changed the second paragraph just after the italisized epigraph at the top.

Old version:
His body trembled and his tears were swept away under the SaniRinse. Crying and vomiting he muttered, "OverSoul please help me."

New Version:
His body trembled and his tears were swept away. Crying and vomiting he muttered, "OverSoul please help me."

Please let me know if you're getting the old version. I don't have a Kindle available so I can't test it myself.

Thanks!
Sam

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sam,

I did get the new version, thanks. You'll see a return today, that's just me swapping out the version, not a rejection. I had a couple of others to get updated (Clutter Diet and Dune had major format overhauls), so had the CS rep return yours at the same time, so I could get the update. As has been the case before, CS cannot send you the updated version of a book once purchased. They had to return/rebate the original book, let it delete off the home page, then I could repurchase the book. So far, they have been great about occasions when the price is not the same. Dune, for example, had gone up $6.04 since I purchased it, so they did a $6 promotion on the account for the "next" book purchase; I ended up paying 4 cents more this time, but the book is reportedly greatly improved. They can only do whole dollar promotions (and you must be careful as it only will work against one book, so if you don't buy the one they gave the credit on, you might "waste" it on a very low price book).

Anyway, I have the new version and it's back on my TBR pile.

Karen

1 - 20 of 97 Posts