Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for the past couple of weeks, my dog has apparently been living at the neighbor's house. Her behavior has been weird as of late (disappearing for hours/a day) so I was getting worried about her. Figured she might be in heat/trying to get pregnant.

Turns out the neighbors had their grandkids over and Maisie, our Jack-Russell Terrier, decided she would meet and greet them. I guess she figured that it was a better place to live than our own house, because she's spent every day over there since. Rarely does she come back to eat or play. Her water bowl is practically full every morning.

My best guess is that she loves being around people so much that she prefers it over there. She's not allowed inside the house (bad shedding, not potty trained, doesn't get along with the cat) so we don't spend as much time with her as we would like. My dad's always working and I rarely go outside except to check the mail or take out the trash. I did throw the ball with her every day or so, but I guess that's not enough for Miss Maisie. The neighbors, on the other hand, are always doing something outside because both of them are retirement age.

We'd just made her a doghouse, insulated it, and my dad made a fancy heating contraption using a mailbox and a space heater. She loved it, but of course it's no substitute for constant attention.

It mildly hurts, but at least she's staying safe with good people.

Anyway, I'm done with this anecdote. How about you guys? Any interesting pet stories to share?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Let's see...if I were a dog and never allowed in my people's house, and only played with occasionally, I would absolutely prefer a family that gives me attention.  Even though you feel mildly offended, realize that your dog has found humans who stimulate her.  In my opinion, it's a win win for all.
As for a pet story from me...I have a collie, Skyla, who is a moaner.  Anytime we sit beside her to love on her, she moans.  It is almost like purring from a cat.  It will go on as long as we are next to her.  I have loved many dogs in my life, but she is the first dog to do this.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My male corgi, Cooper was quite a character when he was younger.  Apparently, there was an open cracker box on the kitchen table and Cooper decided he was hungry.  (Anyone that knows corgi's knows that they are always "hungry").  Anyway, he got onto the table to get at the box.  I know, corgi's are so short, how could he get on the table?  Well, corgi's may be short dogs but they are long dogs.  And considering they are herding dogs, they are also pretty athletic.  Anyway, he got on top of the table and shoved his head in the box to get to the crackers.  My oldest son walked into the kitchen to see Cooper there with the box stuck on his head.  Cooper heard someone come in and froze as if to say, "Who's there? I will not move so they cannot see me."  According to my son, it was the funniest thing. 

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
prairiesky said:
Let's see...if I were a dog and never allowed in my people's house, and only played with occasionally, I would absolutely prefer a family that gives me attention. Even though you feel mildly offended, realize that your dog has found humans who stimulate her. In my opinion, it's a win win for all.
As for a pet story from me...I have a collie, Skyla, who is a moaner. Anytime we sit beside her to love on her, she moans. It is almost like purring from a cat. It will go on as long as we are next to her. I have loved many dogs in my life, but she is the first dog to do this.
We've had her for a year. She looked ultra-starved and shivering when we found her. We adopted her off the street (where she probably would have been run over) and took her to our nice little home out here in the country. Now she's plump, loved, and hanging out with another family. It's just kind of funny.

Skyla sounds like a cutie. Sort of reminds me of my mom's lab Ace who loves bologna and has a specific wailing noise he makes to get it.

Tripp said:
My male corgi, Cooper was quite a character when he was younger. Apparently, there was an open cracker box on the kitchen table and Cooper decided he was hungry. (Anyone that knows corgi's knows that they are always "hungry"). Anyway, he got onto the table to get at the box. I know, corgi's are so short, how could he get on the table? Well, corgi's may be short dogs but they are long dogs. And considering they are herding dogs, they are also pretty athletic. Anyway, he got on top of the table and shoved his head in the box to get to the crackers. My oldest son walked into the kitchen to see Cooper there with the box stuck on his head. Cooper heard someone come in and froze as if to say, "Who's there? I will not move so they cannot see me." According to my son, it was the funniest thing.
D'aaw, I would love to have seen something like that. Corgis are definitely funny little hounds. Getting his head stuck in a box like that makes me think of the time my cat, a calico named Sissy (short for Priscilla and she had brother named Elvis) who was trying to exit a window through the blinds and got stuck in the strings. There she was, sprawled out on all fours and swinging on those things with the goofiest look on her face. She earned the nickname "Spidercat" after that incident.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts