Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since publishing a year ago, I've probably made every mistake you can make at least once, thought I knew it all when I really didn't know anything, and got lucky way more times than I should have, but I somehow survived, and from the looks of it this writing thing that I started to do just for fun has turned into the way I earn my living, and a large portion of the credit for that goes to all of my wonderful readers and the extremely supportive and kind people of Kindleboards!

It's certainly been a long road getting here, and while it certainly was a lot of work, at the same time it didn't seem like work at all, because this is something I love doing, and I hope to keep pushing and improving myself until I can be the best at it I can be. If there's one piece of advice I can offer people, it's that you should do whatever it takes to turn those cantaloupes into canaloupes!

A lot of people have been giving their month by month numbers, and I'll do the same even though I've never revealed most of them before, just to show that this really wasn't something that happened overnight.

June: 120
July: 70 (remember when they introduced that 70% earning percentage...I got half that many at $2.99 and gave up and got the rest at .99)
August: 121 (brutally slow, a big part of this is thanks to Kindle Nation Daily)
September: 208
October: 152
November: 166
December: 579
January: 851
February: 3205
March: 4587
April: 6256
May: 7122

A few thoughts on why the numbers grew: 1. My experience with the book market led me to write a book that was more suited to readers tastes. 2. I benefited from a lot of communicating and networking with big authors in my genre. 3. I didn't write about horny vampires. 4. Amazon and BN decided they liked my book--this is a huge one; it's my belief that for the most part people who are successful have done little to actually produce that success. Once your book works into the algorithms, Amazon takes over and does the work for you. Tweeting, facebook, author blogging, etc. have virtually no impact on reaching readers unless you've got some kind of big machine like Joe Konrath.

Thank you all so much, and I hope this second year is even better! I'm currently at work on a dystopian novel entitled Suspense, which is named after the heroine, Spencer Nye, and I'm completely in love with it. No doubts it'll be my best book yet, and I'm hoping it'll be released in September!

In sum:

And my other goal is to get a hedgehog, which is my power animal:

--Jason

·
Registered
686 Posts
That is so awesome! Thanks for sharing, Jason.

Reading stuff like this gives me encouragement to keep going.

Wishing you more success in the next year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Vicki! And best of luck to you, Mobashar!

M.S. Verish said:
Congratulations! You deserve all your success.

P.S. We've had a hedgehog. They throw up on themselves to make their spines irritating. Cute critters, but nasty.
Haha, really? Aren't their spines irritating in the first place? I'll definitely have to do some research, but I like that they are vaguely dangerous.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can't even begin to say how incredible this is.  Congratulations, Jason, for taking the plunge and sticking with it!

·
Registered
627 Posts
You had me at the avatar.

But to see your journey "breakdown", and hear your love for writing in your own words, now you're something of an inspiration too  :)

Each success story keeps me going...I love it.

CONGRATS! And may the heavens shower you with an army of hedgehogs!!  ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim Franz said:
I can't even begin to say how incredible this is. Congratulations, Jason, for taking the plunge and sticking with it!
Thanks, Jim! I appreciate your support!

Romi said:
You had me at the avatar.

But to see your journey "breakdown", and hear your love for writing in your own words, now you're something of an inspiration too :)

Each success story keeps me going...I love it.

CONGRATS! And may the heavens shower you with an army of hedgehogs!! ;D
Best of luck to you too, Romi! I don't know how inspiring I am, but I just try to always be a little more awesome than the day before.

Monique said:
Congrats, Jason. You beat me to that milestone. Well done!
We've still got a long ways to 100k, Monique. Maybe you'd get there sooner if you started releasing more books! ;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Congratulations, Jason! It was very interesting to read your monthly breakdown of the past year. Thanks for sharing that!

Best of luck to you going forward. I bet your next 25,000 sales will come very soon.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I love these type of posts! After I read one I always walk away feeling inspired :D

Congratulations on your success!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Congrats to you, Jason!  As someone who just published two days ago, reading your one year anniversary post was wonderful and inspiring.  It's generous of you to share like that, and I hope you have even more success in the next year!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Great job, Jason! I love the jump from January to February. Any thoughts on what exactly happened with that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jackblaine said:
Congrats to you, Jason! As someone who just published two days ago, reading your one year anniversary post was wonderful and inspiring. It's generous of you to share like that, and I hope you have even more success in the next year!
Best of luck to you with your new book, Jack!

Nell Gavin said:
Great job, Jason! I love the jump from January to February. Any thoughts on what exactly happened with that?
Yes, I released Inevitable on January 28th.

·
Registered
892 Posts
This is wonderful to hear, Jason, and thanks for sharing. My year is up, too, but I've no reached nowhere your near figures. Time to do something!!

Our resident hedgehog comes at dusk/early night to eat the birds' raisons. We keep the gate open a crack so he can come in and eat the slugs!! Hearing him (her??) shuffling and snufflling about I understand why they're referred to as "hogs".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Linda Acaster said:
This is wonderful to hear, Jason, and thanks for sharing. My year is up, too, but I've no reached nowhere your near figures. Time to do something!!

Our resident hedgehog comes at dusk/early night to eat the birds' raisons. We keep the gate open a crack so he can come in and eat the slugs!! Hearing him (her??) shuffling and snufflling about I understand why they're referred to as "hogs".
Thanks! Hopefully things pick up for you soon, Linda. Yeah, hedgehogs are wild in the UK, aren't they? That's so cool. I've seen porcupines around here, which are really much bigger hedgehogs. That's kind of you to assist your local critters! :)

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
What a great anniversary! Major congrats on those stellar sales.  Wow, just wow.

I also appreciated seeing your numbers. Thanks for sharing.

And, I have to say...LOVE THAT HEDGEHOG!!!! One of my favorite creatures. Got introduced to the little buggers in Tuscany; in fact stayed at a pensione called Il Riccio (hedgehog in Italian). My daughter, along on the trip, fell for them too. She couldn't take her cats to the college dorm but hoped a hedgehog might work. Turns out they're illegal in California. Sigh. :'(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ToniD said:
What a great anniversary! Major congrats on those stellar sales. Wow, just wow.

I also appreciated seeing your numbers. Thanks for sharing.

And, I have to say...LOVE THAT HEDGEHOG!!!! One of my favorite creatures. Got introduced to the little buggers in Tuscany; in fact stayed at a pensione called Il Riccio (hedgehog in Italian). My daughter, along on the trip, fell for them too. She couldn't take her cats to the college dorm but hoped a hedgehog might work. Turns out they're illegal in California. Sigh. :'(
Thanks, Toni! I appreciate it. Finding them on a trip to Italy would be amazing. I'll be heading to Venice later this month but doubt I'll see any there. Why would they be illegal in California? weird.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts