Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was one of the last on board with perma-free.  I was too attached to KDP Select to go when everyone else in my graduating class went.  But I finally signed up in March when my last few promos with KDP sucked _ _ _ _ _.  So I've only been in a little while, but here are some stats for anyone who's interested.  They're very compelling, I think:

In Feb before perma-free, I averaged 34 books a day of my War of the Fae series, 4 books on sale.

In March, after perma-free kicked in, my average daily number grew to 43, with only 3 books on sale (book 1 now free).

That's a 21% increase!  -- even more if you take into consideration that there are now 25% of the books missing from the equation!

Last week, my average was 51 per day.

That's a 33% increase overall or another 16% increase!

I've given away 143 books a day average.

Conclusion:  Perma-free is working for me, like it is for many others.  Its efficacy increases as time goes by and my free book moves up in the rankings.  Now I just have to pray and make sacrifices at the altar so that Amazon won't put the brakes on this great opportunity.

And for those of you who wonder how I can write so many books and track so many numbers, know that my darling husband is the numbers tracker.  I do track them once per day, but I don't crunch them like he does.  :)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Chrystalla said:
Congrats, Elle! :) Thanks for sharing the numbers.
My pleasure! I wish more people would. I find them inspiring when I read others' stuff. And experiment results are especially helpful.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
purplesmurf said:
Congrats Elle! And just wondering are you numbers just for Amazon or across all platforms?
Hi Purplesmurf! Those numbers are just Amazon. I don't have a lot of sales on the other sites yet. I just got my books on there this month.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Way to go! I definitely am on the perma-free boat. I made Inside Evil free last month and am still in top 100 lists for both .com and .co.uk (actually, no #38 in total freebie store in UK  :D). I've had over 10,000 downloads now, and my sales for the NEVER selling sequel are starting to come in, as well as good reviews.

It's definitely working for me!

Geoff

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GWakeling said:
Way to go! I definitely am on the perma-free boat. I made Inside Evil free last month and am still in top 100 lists for both .com and .co.uk (actually, no #38 in total freebie store in UK :D). I've had over 10,000 downloads now, and my sales for the NEVER selling sequel are starting to come in, as well as good reviews.

It's definitely working for me!

Geoff
That's awesome, Geoff! Come oooonn, snowball! :)

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I definitely want to try this. I'm tired of freebie promos and paid promos and highs and lows. I just want something steady that steadily grows.
When my time is up with Select (and when Book 3 is done & released), hopefully the gate won't be shut on perma-free and I can give it a shot :)
Thanks for the share, Elle :) :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Nice! Yours is definitely doing better than mine. Well, we give away the same amount, but I haven't seen an increase in sales at all. Boo.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
My first book as been free for two years. When it went free my downloads shot through the roof, and I worked all the way up to #5 on the overall "best sellers" for free books on Amazon.com. Since then the downloads have slowly tapered off. I think I am number 25 of 30 this morning for "Sci-Fi Military," and like 5,000 something for over all. Without question there is a definite link between my free book and sales of the rest of my books. I sold like 1 book a week before the move to free, and now I average around 1 sale of my second book per 15ish downloads of my free book.

75% of my sales form from Amazon.com, and from what I can tell being free on other sites has not helped much at all. That is just my experience.

Your results 1 month in are great, and I encourage you to keep that book free, forever. At least till you become a big famous author and your name alone sells books. :)  

·
Registered
557 Posts
Congratulations! ;D

Thanks for sharing.  :)

I have been trying to go perma-free on "A Very Ugly Story" and so far, nothing.  :'(
One day...  :p

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TPiperbrook said:
Thanks for the results! How long does it take, on average, for Amazon to price match to free?
About 2 weeks for me. But I had lots of people going over there and reporting it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts