Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be interesting to share our sales observations.

I've been keeping a spreadsheet for my Amazon sales each month with summaries for each year and I noticed an interesting trend from 2011 to 2012 that may or may not be shared by other authors...

I have the first books in two of my series set to perma-free and, while the free first book downloads increased, sales of the second books of each have actually decreased, even while my ratings have gone up and prices remained constant. I don't know what this means, except that the only way to keep my income steady has been to release at least a couple of new books every year, at least one a year in my most popular series, which is in the young adult genre. Sales of other books remain steady to decreasing slightly. I've noticed a leveling off at Barnes and Noble, but 2012 was better than 2011 there. I have never enrolled in KDP Select.

Just thought I'd throw that out into the open. Anyone else care to share?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
horse_girl said:
I have the first books in two of my series set to perma-free and, while the free first book downloads increased, sales of the second books of each have actually decreased.
Yes. I think so, yes. I looked at a year of data on a freebie. Here's the percentages of people who bought the second book compared to the free downloads for me.
Jan: 2% (This is low because I was in the Top 100 and gave away 15K books that month)
Feb: 9%
Mar:7%
April: 8%
May:6%
June:7%
July:9%
August:8%
Sept: 7%
Oct:6%
November: 4%
December: 4%

Free doesn't work as well on ANY level anymore.

But, hey, we all knew this would happen. Just gotta keep writing books, right? :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts