Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my KDX today. My Kindle2 is a good reader, but my main focus over the past decade has been nonfiction, and my hope was the DX's large screen would enable me to examine graphs, tables, detailed pics/graphics much better than on the K2. I'm sure most of you would occasionally come across a photo or a detailed diagram while reading your K1/2 and wonder what the heck all that was about since you couldn't make it out well. I suspect that many seminal nonfiction books are currently not Kindle-ized mainly because perhaps their charts/graphs/graphics data could not be rendered legibly on the smaller screens? (I'm thinking about books like Stanley & Danko's Millionaire Next Door, Gleick's Chaos, Herrnstein & Murray's The Bell Curve, Garrett's the Coming Plague, Dacyczyn's Complete Tightwad Gazette, etc.)

Regarding the comments complaining about the ~$500 cost of the KDX: I would submit that the the K2/K1 are SERIOUSLY UNDERPRICED.

1)none of us will live a long time, our significant reading lifespan could be estimated at a maximum of ~80 years (~ages 12-92). In those 80 years we are granted, I have used 30 of them, so I have ~50 years left. I suspect that poor eyesight or failing mental faculties might afflict me by my mid-70s, so in fact I personally have but ~30 years left. Knowledge is not only power, but also the spark of life - books allow us to vicariously have a myriad lives, to experience things we should otherwise never experience, to know things that we'd never know (and maybe things we shouldn't know?). Books allow us to live on a higher plane than nature might have originally intended for us. They allow us to ponder the intimate thoughts tickling the great minds of history - Plato, Darwin, Mills, Sartre, Shakespeare, Tolstoy, MaryAnn Evans, Steven Levitt, Annie Proulx, Jared Diamond, etc. I intend to soak in the accumulated wisdom of humanity in my remaining 30 years. My KDX should hopefully prove to be an ideal tool for this life-long project.

2)I have a cable-modem internet connection - it costs me ~$45/month packaged with cable tv programming (total $85/mo) - I consider it indispensible for my daily activities, for shopping savings, general research, my work, communications with friends/family, etc. I also have a mobile phone with 3G connection - it costs me ~$100/month for unlimited data/email on Verizon's network - I consider it likewise indispensible for my work, important emails, to check things like gas prices on gasbuddy while on the road, to google some curiosity while on the go, etc. My KDX provides unlimited always-on 3G internet access via free google searches, free wikipedia, free 250,000-word dictionary apparently INDEFINITELY, FOR NO ADDITIONAL MONTHLY COST. My cell phone costs me $1200 annually and will continue to cost me at least this much yearly. My cable-modem costs me $540 annually and will continue to cost me at least this much yearly. Yet my KDX promises to provide me free access to the internet and the world of knowledge FOR FREE after my one time $500 payment! I admit that purchasing books on-the-go is convenient but not necessary and is intended solely as a cash-cow for Amazon.com; yet its secondary consequences (free internet access) is a killer-feature of the Kindle line of book-readers.

3)Comments by the many who state the KDX is too large/heavy seem nonsensical to me. I'm no UltimateFighting champion or anything like that, but I found the KDX as light as a breeze to handle and can't fathom what the fuss was about. I can read holding it in one hand for hours. Compared to my K2, the KDX seems only marginally more weighty - NOT A BIG DIFFERENCE for me. I believe the "it's too heavy" people have become too entrained into their tiny K2s and/or were subconsiously preparing themselves to elicit some/any argument to convince themselves to be satisfied with the slightly cheaper K2/K1. Another possibility: people who are used to reading paperbacks = K1/K2 versus people who are used to reading hardbacks = KDX. I know I sound like a commercial at this point so consider this: I have no financial or any other ties with Amazon.com. I hope the company survives so my investment in Kindles pay off, but frankly it's no biggie for me if it doesn't pan out. Consider the minimalistic/functional design of the KindleDX:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I could not agree more. I love what you said.  Although it is heavier than the Kindle 2, for some reason the weight is distributed in a way that I do not know what all the fuss is about either.  I think I hold it in bed and rest it on my body when reading. I love the Kindle DX so much more than my Kindle 2. I am truly surprised. I was convinced I would probably send it back once I got it. Thinking it was going to be too big and heavy. Instead, I am like you. I am crazy about it. It is much easier to read on. I love landscape mode. Love pdf's. There, really, is nothing to not love in my book.  But, we are all so different, with different needs. So for some people they will not feel this way. But I feel I have to speak out and let people know that this is a significant release by Amazon. And don't just dismiss it because of one person's opinion. I thought the Kindle 2 was fantastic. But this DX, for me anyway, is a much, much more exciting reading experience.  
BTW, I love this board. I never met such a group of truly nice people. I am not here to disparage anyone else's take on the DX. I understand it is not for everybody. And there will be those that find it more cumbersome. I think it is important that we all weigh in  (pun intended) on our feelings about the DX.  It's fun to read everybody's point of view. Even if they disagree with me.
To reiterate, though, I find the DX easier to use and every time I pick it up I really get excited.
I think the DX is worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Thanks for giving us your perspective and sharing the pictures with us all. I liked what you had to say about the DX and the comparison costs to your phone bills.  :)

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
You are enabling me.  I have to wait though.  Perhaps after I see one at the NYC meet-up in July, I will take the leap.  Alas, I'm unemployed . . . but debt free.  I have savings.  Maybe I should cancel my cell phone service and buy the KDX. 

1 - 4 of 4 Posts