Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Kindle for almost a year now. I love it. Its replaced my friends and family. It is everything I've ever wanted; the best christmas present I ever recieved.

And last night, I broke it. Accidentally, of course!
I put it on my bed because I was going to curl up with it for some late night reading and I realized that my sheet wasn't on so I made my bed (something I rarely do) and then I went to get into bed... and stuck my knee right on my Kindle screen. There was a sickening crack and my heart stopped. In the lower left corner there is a white spot now surrounded by fragmented e-ink. I cried. For an hour. It was as if my best friend had died. It was rather pitiful, actually.

Eventually, I called Kindle Support and spoke with a very nice lady who said I could get a refurbished one for $180 by Christmas. So I did that. Im so scared though because the world refurbished sends fear down the spines of technology owners everywhere.

Can you guys assure me that this new Kindle will be just as good as my poor broken baby? The lady said so, but she's paid to say that.
Have you guys ever had any problems with yours? Is it covered (again) with the 1 year warranty? She told me I had a 90 day return on it.

And I was just in the middle of a good book too!  :'(

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
While I cannot assure you that your refurbished will be as good as, I am hopeful for you because all of what I have heard and experienced about Kindle support has been nothing but good if not glowing.

Stay Positive

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Yes, it is covered by the full 1 year warranty! I do not think you have anything to fear, they will replace it if anything is wrong.
I do commiserate with you and also appreciate your story as a good warning. I also do a lot of reading in bed. I have been careful
always putting my Kindle back in it's spot, on the table next to my bed. However, I have almost succumbed to laziness and left it on the bed,
to run to the bathroom or where ever... I am so glad now I did not. I have been afraid of that very thing happening and will try never to
break my good habit.

Enjoy your newish K, I hoped it gets to you ASAP!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Kate,

I bought a refurbished one as a gift for my assistant and I can tell you honestly, there was nothing about it that looks used. It looked absolutely brand new down to the cellophane on the box.

Such a sad story but at least you'll have a replacement asap.

L

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Refurbished Kindles are well known to fall apart after 4 months, 7days, 3 hours, 27 minutes, and 43.787 seconds.

Just kidding  :D

Steve

·
Super Moderator
67,252 Posts
stevene9 said:
Refurbished Kindles are well known to fall apart after 4 months, 7days, 3 hours, 27 minutes, and 43.787 seconds.

Just kidding :D

Steve
That's o.k. It's guaranteed for a full year. . . . . ;D

Ann

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Kate, so sad!  I'm heartbroken with you!

But don't fear, from everything I've heard, reborn (refurbished) Kindles look brand new!  And have the same warranty, so be at peace while you wait.  Let us know when you get it!

Betsy

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Nothing wrong with refurbished items. My GPS is refurbished, it works beautifully.

This "kneeing of the Kindle" seems to be how a lot of them get broken.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Kate, my heart aches for you. That had to be an awful feeling. I am glad you are able to get a replacement so quickly. Hope it is problem free!

B

·
0 Posts
This story should be moved to the "Horror" Thread. It is the scariest thing I have read in a long time.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Oh Kate, I feel for you. I know we have several members here with refurbished Kindles and they seem as good as new. Please go to Intro/Welcome and introduce yourself. Congrats on your first post, wish it had been under different circumstances.

Linda

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Oh Kate, I feel for you. I know we have several members here with refurbished Kindles and they seem as good as new. Please go to Intro/Welcome and introduce yourself. Congrats on your first post, wish it had been under different circumstances.

Linda
LOL!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Kate, I'm sorry for your kindle loss. I'm glad you were able to spend a year with him/her and praying your new one arrives early and ready to go with all your books.

I forgot my kindle today and am dying as to whether it will be alive or not when I get home. I left in a hurry (to go sit on the freeway for 45mins. I only had to go one exit but i digress) left my kindle at home. Trouble is I don't know where....if its on my night stand it's safe but last I remember was leaving it on the coffee table and the doggies LOVE stuff left on the coffee table  :eek: ??? :-\ :-[  I won't get home until after 8pm tonight :( to find out if my poor baby is alive. 

Its good to know that customer services is so good and it's not an arm and leg to replace. I do need to get over to that site that offers coverage in case I leave mine on my bed (like Ive done with many a pair of reading glasses) or the coffee table for the dogs.

Let us know when your 'gentle loved' replacement arrives! Hope you weren't in a cliff hanger part of your book!

Theresam

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
A lot of people are afraid of public speaking.  For me, I'm afraid that someday I'll knee my Kindle.  There's nothing worse than causing pain to the one you love  :'(

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
The battery?!  Keep the battery from your first baby as a backup for the second.  Or put the "partly used" battery from your first into your second and keep that most likely new battery as your backup.  Kind of an expensive backup battery.  ;)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I'm sorry you kneed your Kindle, that's the one thing I'm most afraid of doing too. And I have been known to straighten the bed just like that right before I get in it. Hopefully your refurb arrives soon! I've only seen one thread over on the Amazon boards about a refurb having a problem, so hopefully yours will be just like new.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Sandpiper said:
The battery?! Keep the battery from your first baby as a backup for the second. Or put the "partly used" battery from your first into your second and keep that most likely new battery as your backup. Kind of an expensive backup battery. ;)
That's a good idea

1 - 20 of 39 Posts