Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I said I was getting out of Select three months back and going to try the perma-free several of you asked if I would let them know how it goes.  If this belongs in an existing thread I apologize.  Mods by all means move it if it does.

Quick background.  I published my first novel in 2007 through lightning source and about every year and six months later I published a sequel.  My series is a young adult fantasy/science fiction mix and I targeted schools with good results.  To date I have sold around 6500 paper and hardbacks.

Two years ago, I put my books up on Kindle, Nook and Kobo.  I didn’t do any advertising as I was new and didn’t know how to go about it.  I would sell three or four books a month.  I had sold a total of 106 ebooks when I found you wonderful people.  Last March I set my first book in the series up in Select and it remained there for nine months.

Over that 9 month period I averaged giving away about 1500 books a month.  I received three reviews and I averaged selling 57.3 books a month so just under 2 books a day.

On Dec 12th, 2012, Amazon priced matched Max and the Gatekeeper against kobo, sony and itunes.  It didn’t make it to B&N until the last week of January this year.

Since being perma-free I have averaged about 1500 free downloads a month (until a very successful bookpub ad yesterday) but with way better results. 

For those last days of December I averaged 3.2 books a day on Amazon.
January I averaged 4.258 books a day with only 10 non amazon sales.
February I averaged 5.785 books a day with 27 non amazon sales.  B&N first full free month gave me 23 of those non amazon sales.

In the almost three months of perma-free I have also received 15 reviews.  The ratio of sales for the 2nd and 3rd book are way better than they were under select.    At least a 3rd of my 57.3 books a month under select were sales of book one where now they are all book 2 and 3.

Sorry if that was long winded.

Oh, and Max book one will be out on audio book in a couple of weeks I will report those numbers if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Just what I wanted to hear.  I'm out of Select today and shooting for a perma free soon.  ;D  Thanks a bunch for the data.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm only about 3 weeks into having a permafree title available, but I am definitely seeing some positive trends. For the last two weeks, I've been avg 1-2 books sold a day on B&N (previously a wasteland) and I've sold about 130 copies of books 2 & 3 in the series on Amazon. For the number crunchers, I've given away just under 11K books since going free- not idea on freeloads for B&N or Apple yet though since I get that through SW.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cegesmith said:
I'm only about 3 weeks into having a permafree title available, but I am definitely seeing some positive trends. For the last two weeks, I've been avg 1-2 books sold a day on B&N (previously a wasteland) and I've sold about 130 copies of books 2 & 3 in the series on Amazon. For the number crunchers, I've given away just under 11K books since going free- not idea on freeloads for B&N or Apple yet though since I get that through SW.
Glad it is working for you. The main reason I did the bookpub ad was so I could reach into those other markets. I am very curious to see what happens this month. Looking for more ways to promote B&N, Sony, iTunes and Kobo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts