Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just wanted to let you know that just today the new Kindle edition of my serial killer thriller, IM, just went up on Amazon for the bargain price of only $4.79. IM has garnered rave reviews, a movie option, and has been number one on some of Amazon's mystery and thriller bestseller lists. I suspect that just a sample of this page-turner will convince you it's a must-read.

But I'm bummed because, as of right now, all 26 reviews that went with the print edition (most of them raves) are now gone. I'd love it if some of my friends here on the Kindleboards would take the time to write some new reviews for the Kindle version of IM. For the first five reviews that come from KindleBoard users, I will offer a signed, first-edition copy of one of my print novels (your choice...just let me know when your review is posted and we'll work out the details for shipping).

Even if you don't want to get in on the little "contest" above, I hope you'll check out IM. To further entice you, here's a bit of a review written by an Amazon Top 100 Reviewer when the print version first came out:

5.0 out of 5 stars I 'M IMpressed!, May 21, 2007
By L. Shirley "Laurie's Boomer Views" (fountain valley, ca United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Let me just start by saying wimps need not apply for this one. However if you love a thriller that will scare the bejezzus out of you, can handle characters that are more human than your everyday macho hero types, and don't mind (or maybe you like) a little x-rated action laced throughout, IM is for you. It is also a story that will keep you guessing and trying to put together all the clues that author Reed so enticingly places as the story progresses.

When Detective Ed Comparetto of the Chicago PD is called to investigate a horrifying murder scene, he has no idea what he will be getting himself into. The victim is part of the gay community as is Ed. Ed doesn't hide his preference and has taken some ribbing from his fellow officers, who don't think he can cut the mustard. So when Ed comes up with a witness that is legally dead, the department takes the opportunity to send Ed packing. But he won't give up. Without gun or badge, he begins his own investigation, at first to prove he is not crazy and seeing ghosts, and then to try and convince the department that this "witness" is more dangerous then any apparition and may be the key to this murder and several more to follow. He discovers that the murders are all linked through the modern world of an online site for gay men, where they can Instant Message each other and set up hook-ups. Following the skimpy clues, with imminent danger and heart pumping suspense at every turn and almost on every page, Ed faces his own fears, often putting his life on the line, and goes after the horrifyingly deranged suspect. And the question of what can turn a person into a monster also begins to come to light.

I read on Rick Reed's profile that Unzipped magazine said, "You could call him the Stephen King of gay horror." I will go a step further and say that if IM were a film it would be Hitchcockian. Reed gets the reader so involved with the very real characters in just a few pages, that like in any good Hitchcock film, we want to shout out,"Look out, there's a killer near!", or in this case, we may just want to tell them, "don't hit that send button!, don't open your door!" Each victim is a very different and human person. Some may have just been looking for a good time, some for a little companionship to fill a lonely void, others looking for love. The reader begins to feel like a bit of a voyeur (also a trademark of a good Hitch film), privy to the personal IMs being sent back and forth.

As a reader of many mystery books, I must say that this one really had me going and was genuinely shocked and surprised at all the twists. Reed does a fine job of tying it all together and left me satisfied with the ending. Very IMpressive!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should write a review on Amazon, Jasper. The Kindle version's looking pretty naked right now, without any of the print version's reviews. Just a small hint...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I finally got my Kindle and this was the first full length book I read. I couldn't put it down, I read it in 2 sittings.
I just left a review on Amazon, should show up sometime in the next 48 hours.
I'm going to be checking out your other stuff now  :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
My review finally posted, but so far it's the only one. I thought this was a great book, so if you've read it, go leave a review  :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts