Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
  Everyone has been so wonderful on this site....so I'm going to ask for some help.  My son is six years old, almost seven.  He is reading, but very slowly.  He can sound out each letter and eventually will get the word.  He really wants to be a better reader...and well we practice a lot.  The other day he came to me crying...he watched a commercial where it showed a 10 month old baby reading.  He was devestated "Mom, babies can read better than me!"  He was sobbing, kept saying how stupid he is.  He is a straight "A" student, very smart.  I feel really bad for him.  Does anyone know of a good book to help him along with reading? 
  He is so stressed out, I tell him he is reading the pace he should. His cousin who is a month older is able to read fast, so he compares himself.  He keeps doing extra school work hoping it will help him (even on the weekends).  Yikes!!!  Please help me find something to help him.  I've tried to make him feel better...but he keeps saying "Even babies read."  Ah, that stupid commercial :(
                                  Thank you in advance,
                                                      Brittay :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Did you tell him that commercial was fake?  No 10 month old baby is reading a book, parents are proud if they can even verbalize.

I'd probably invest in one of those electronic doohickeys that reads the book out simultaneously with him.  Do they still make speak-n-spells?  I loved playing with mine as a kid.  Also computer games. 

I think the key may be distracting him from "reading" (this is hard, I can't do it, now I'm stressing myself out) and instead just focusing on games that teach reading.  Take the stress out of it and focus on the fun.

Lara Amber

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, yes I did tell him it was fake.  I even had other family members tell him it was fake.  He just doesn't seem to think it is...he keeps talking about it.  When I tell him about how fake it is, he then goes on about his cousin.  I told him he should just take a break, and no school on weekends.  I started having him listen to actors reading books on storyonline.com (you can follow along with them when they read).  I'm doing my best to keep him away from the touchy reading subject. 

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
My son had a similar problem when he was younger.  We enrolled him in Sylvan Learning Center.  He was in 7th grade at the time.  He went from reading on a 3rd grade, 5th month level to reading at a college level in about six weeks.  They let us out of our contract since he had met the goals way ahead of schedule. 

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
I wonder if you should have him tested for a reading disorder. like dislexia.  Or maybe he's just not seeing well.  If it's hard to make out the letters it's hard to see the words. . . .maybe have his eyes checked.  As for teaching method. . .I'm a fan of phonics!

Ann

·
Registered
468 Posts
You know I think most kids even out by 3rd or 4th grade.  My son was an average reader in 1st grade.  Probably at the bottom of the average group.  By the time he was in 4th grade he was a fantastic reader and now he enjoys reading and loves nothing better (except computer games)  then reading a really good long fantasy novel.  He is 13.  So don't worry too much and I definitely think reading to him helps a lot.  

With my daughter, reading funny books really helped.  She loved Junie B Jones when she was in 1st/2nd grade.  I  started out reading them to her and later she read them to herself.

My son loved Captain Underpants at that age.  They are very funny.

My best advice is to make it fun.  The fact that he wants to read well and is motivated is good.  I just hope he doesn't get too down on himself.

Maxx

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Hooked on Phonics has been around forever but it works great! My son is about the same age as yours and loves his Jumpstart Learning Adventures computer game. We also have several LeapFrog Phonics videos (don't know if they still make them). Also a a LeapPad is a great tool to help him learn to read.

My son struggles with reading as well because he severe Amblyopia in his left eye. He has to wear an eye patch for 6 hours a day over his "good" eye to help train his poor eye. He has to use a magnifying glass (4x magnification) so that he can see the words well enough to read. When patch time is over, we have reading time in the afternoon, but it's slow going.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
is there something that he is interested in that you can find books geared to kids to get about that subject -- or is there a way to make it a game for him - or can you get the computer things they have for kids - I think some of them are reading based and are made into games -

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried hooked on phonics last year, didn't have great results.  I do want to try the Adventure game though...it sounds fun :)  Thanks!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Definitely have the eyes checked.  I remember my daughter came home from school and said that Adam, a little boy in her class, was mad at her.  When I asked why she replied that she blocked his view of the board when she went up front to read it.  I inquired why she was getting out of her seat to read the board.  Needless to say, I had her at the eye doctor the next day. 

·
Registered
244 Posts
Maybe using flash cards can help too.  You really begin to build reading speed when you have more "sight" words in your vocabulary.  Then those words will become "his", and he doesn't need to slow down to sound them out.  Since he is good in other areas of school he may be very good at memorization and get more success that way.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
First, yes, get an eye exam. Poor kid! You've had some good advice here, especially about letting him read what he WANTS to read. That's critical. You can read with him, too, sharing the task, and following the words with a finger. I've never been a fan of phonics, if that's what he's been taught. We used flash cards with our daughters. They learned to recognize whole words on sight, before they even knew what the letters "said." Over time, they figured that out for themselves (just like kids learn to talk).

There's a good book on this: How To Teach Your Baby to Read, by Glen Doman, probably not out for Kindle. There'll be all sorts of stuff sold to go with it, but you can make your own cards, and you should: names of friends, pets, activities he enjoys. Let him "write" his own story, illustrate it, and then keep it to read. Flash cards can be used like a game, for fun. He shouldn't ever feel he's letting anyone down. My doctoral dissertation was on this stuff. Let him decide what to read, and then help him read it. Best to you both!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I have to echo the getting his eyes checked. We had no idea my son had an eye problem. He went to the Dr last year and said the eye chart was blurry when testing his left eye. We discovered he had perfect vision in his right eye and 20/400 in his left. He has perfect vision when using both eyes as well. You'd never know just by watching him run around.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
He's this stressed about school work/reading and he's only 6, wow.

Tell him I was still reading Dick and Jane books at that age.  See Spot, see Spot run.  Run Spot run........... ;D

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Forster said:
He's this stressed about school work/reading and he's only 6, wow.

Tell him I was still reading Dick and Jane books at that age. See Spot, see Spot run. Run Spot run........... ;D
My mom said I was the same way. Horrible that he is already stressed out at age 6 :(

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Lots of hugs and encourage him in activities he thinks he's good at!

Also, please have him tested for dyslexia or other issue, including vision problems.  Early detection is key for successfully dealing with these issues.  You can probably have him tested through the school system, even if you are home schooling.  Our granddaughter has gotten tested through the school system even though she doesn't attend.

Betsy

·
Registered
244 Posts
I remember being frustrated with phonics too.  In fact I still am to this day.  But being that I wasn't one to follow rules I thought were silly I just ditched the phonics and memorized.  I never really had a problem learing to read that way.  I think you just have to go with the way a kid learns best.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Have you watched the Leap Frog dvd's?
My kids LOVE "The Letter Factory", then there is "Talking Words Factory".

One son was really struggling with recognizing his letters and sounds, then, watched The LetterFactory a few times and...BAM!
Very fun and cute, and the kids really learn!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts