Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted a cover that I didn't have to worry about quite so much as my Oberon for next to the pool this summer. I decided to revamp an Amazon K2 cover as LunarEarthMama did. I used the same faux snake fabric as dixielogs used on hers because I love that color and it compliments the turquoise in my current Decalgirl Disarray skin. I'm using the Vera Bradley redesigned Hipster in Peacock to complete the ensemble.

Thought I'd experiment with adding a closure to the re-vamped cover. I found a perfect Celtic Knot shank button at Jo-Ann Fabrics and used very strong button & carpet thread and a tapestry needle and an awl to start the holes. I wrapped the shank with the thread after attaching for greater strength. I used some black elastic and sewed it together on the wrong side before reapplying the inner cover. I think the elastic is a little too thick, so I will probably re-do that part when my order for elastic barbed bungees (like the ones Oberon uses) arrives.

The fabric is on ebay and they also have it in a lovely shade of light purple. I have a Vera Bradley Purple Punch Hipster on order and a very generous person on these boards (you know who you are) was very kind to send me a Decalgirl Apacalypse Violet skin. That will probably be the Fall ensemble. My Kindle is truly better dressed than I am! :D

Here are the results. Pictures were taken with my Blackberry so they're not the best. The brilliant turquoise color is most accurate.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Wow! You did a great job. I can see why you'd rather dress up your Amazon cover rather than worry about keeping your Oberon cover dry. You'll have the best-dressed Kindle at the pool, for certain!

·
Registered
435 Posts
You called the faux snakeskin stuff "fabric".  I thought it was leather or faux leather.  Does the shine come from some sort of glaze or laminate?  Did you apply it or does it come that way?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LibbyD said:
You called the faux snakeskin stuff "fabric". I thought it was leather or faux leather. Does the shine come from some sort of glaze or laminate? Did you apply it or does it come that way?
Actually, it's vinyl with a faux snakeskin finish. I just call any sewing material 'fabric'. The shine is natural.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Great job DD!

I need to scrounge up a few of these covers to play with; I need something lighter than the Oberon most of the time and I have a number of fun fabrics & such I want to try out!  ;D

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You make a good point about needing something lighter than your Oberon. I'd like to have something else to carry in my purse, and use my Oberon at home. I don't want it to get scuffed up from being carried in my purse all of the time. Maybe I should put it in my Amazon cover that my daughter lent me (thanks, Megan!) when it's in my purse. I could even get creative like DD. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
luvmy4brats said:
I was recently given an Amazon K2 cover and I've been debating whether to sell it or "remodel" it. After looking at the amazing job you did, I'm inclined to remodel.

Great job.
I say remodel, luv. You can never have too many covers. Right? :D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, I got the idea from LunarEarthMama (her project was in Harvey's blog).  And dixielogs directed me to the faux snakeskin on ebay.  I can't take credit for that idea.

All I added was the closure which I really like when I put in in my purse.  I have another Amazon K2 cover that I'm going to redesign.  Looking for the right fabric/leather now.  I looked at some lavender ostrich on ebay but it's just too expensive for this project.

Thanks to all for all you nice comments!  :D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kind said:
I like those turquoise and aquamarine like colors. 8)
Me too and you're not going to believe this. I just happened to buy a pair of summers sandals in the same color leather with a snakeskin pattern. Honest, I didn't plan to match my Kindle cover, honest! It just happened! ;D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Perfect!

Can you post the link for the project on Harvey's Blog?  I would love to take a look at doing something similar. I have a leather sleeve that I embroidered, but I would like to do something cook with my case.

It really does look awesome.  Great job.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.