Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here but have been reading the boards on and off for awhile.  I really want a Kindle but right now, its too expensive and since its on backorder for ages, there's no incentive for amazon to lower the price.  Also, I keep reading various things that amazon will put out a new version of Kindle sometime in 2009. I DESPERATELY want one BUT....I'm waiting for version 2 to see what will change.  To be honest, the current model is lacking something I want.....the ability to add my own word, pdf or .rtf documents without having to send them to amazon to be converted.  Am I missing something here or does the present version allow you to load your own documents without having to send them for conversion?  I also read that the price will come down.  Anybody else heard that one?

·
Registered
366 Posts
You don't have to email them off in order to convert them.  There is a free download called mobi pocket reader and mobi pocket creator that can do the conversion for you and then simply transfer using the USB cable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can convert myself?  Well....that adds a whole new dimension to my thinking :D I guess I will wait a few months to see if a version 2 appears, or amazon brings the price down.  Thanks for the info all!!

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Welcome rcarrosq. . . drop on down to "Introductions and Welcomes" and introduce yourself.  Meanwhile, start saving.  We can all relate to having to justify the price. . .the longer you wait the more you want it and at some point you'll say "now!" and click "Buy it". 

As to version 2, there are many wild rumors but nothing substantive from Amazon except "sometime in 2009".  So when the time feels right, go for it.  Either way, you've found kindred souls here. . .kindle kindred if you will.

Ann

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not only can you convert and upload all your own documents with Mobipocket Creator (I start with MS Word doc format), but also jpegs for covers and music for background while reading. You can also convert and upload public domain books from a variety of websites. Google "free ebooks" "Project Gutenberg" etc. to find classics in the public domain.
Navigation is still a bear but you can make notes and bookmarks to help and search works too.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
it would be nice of the next generation of the kindle could support Manga (japanese comic books, typically printed in black and white ink). I know that the Sony can display manga.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
it would be nice of the next generation of the kindle could support Manga (japanese comic books, typically printed in black and white ink). I know that the Sony can display manga.
Actually there are two titles of manga kindled:

http://www.amazon.com/Guardians-Possession-Guardian-Heart-Crystal/dp/B001KYES80/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1228865634&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Formera-Volume-One/dp/B001BXQGY4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1228865634&sr=1-4

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldn't call the rumors wild.  They have been the the same boring recycled rumors over and over for months.  Some blogger needs to create... um I mean find out from an "unamed source close to Amazon" some new and exciting rumors.  ;-)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
The images came out pretty good. Much better than the Twilight Movie Companion. This one is from the Garden's Pocession (A book I don't I will buy. Its a book with a couple of image through, but not exactly a manga.

·
Registered
364 Posts
What I really would like is a software update that adds the ability to have folders. I have 29 pages of books/samplers. Folder would be great for organizing the home page(s).

·
Registered
268 Posts
re: Manga

I downloaded the second sample, and after a quick peek, here are my impressions. Everything is clear and you can read it well. There's no issue there. However, it takes FOREVER to flip pages. Even if I was a fan of manga I don't think I could bear the time it took to flip pages.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
MHarring,

welcome to Kindleboards, we're glad to have you here!

Be sure to post in the Introductions board so we know a little about you!

Betsy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys and gals. I'm hoping to get a kindle soon but until I do, I am reading books on my pc with mobipocket reader.  I do have a question though.....I can read a .pdb on my computer with mobipocket reader but how would I read that same book on a kindle?  I downloaded the free mobipocket converter but I don't understand how to convert it to a kindle version.  Does anybody here know how I would do that?

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
I believe there are a couple of different threads in the Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting forums that may answer your questions. . .

Ann

1 - 20 of 30 Posts