Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, after lunch, I stopped by a local Houston Walmart to pick up a case of ice tea.

After 15 minutes in the store, I came out to find my pickup truck with a busted window.
My computer bag was gone, on it were 3 WIPs, one of which was a day or two from going to editing (a novel over 100,000 words).

The parking lot cameras weren't working. The cop was useless, the store manager annoyed at my distraction.

On the way home, it started pouring rain. I, having no window, didn't appreciate that.

No problem on the books - I've got it backed up... NOT.
I've been using Microsoft's new Office 365, and evidently I did something wrong because there is no backup.
After several hours on the phone with Microsoft technical support, the window replacement guy arrived. He worked and worked and worked, but couldn't get the glass to fit. While he had my door completely apart, it started raining again.

Finally, the window was in and I was very late for an appointment. The truck wouldn't start - a victim of the window guy leaving the key on while listening to the radio for three hours.

After bothering a neighbor for a jump, in the rain, I went to apt and then on to the computer store where I purchased the latest whizbang, mega-nasty laptop.
It won't boot. Windows 8 won't install.

Words cannot describe my emotional mix of anger and frustration over losing those books. The thought of starting all over again on a nearly-complete work is just crushing. I tried last night to start typing it in again, and I just can't right now.

All of this over someone's need to take a laptop worth maybe $150 bucks at a pawn shop. If the good lord could give me any 15 minutes back for a re-do, I would wish that I left the Walmart a bit sooner and caught whoever was vandalizing my truck. It would not have been a good day to be a thief. 

I'm writing this on Mrs. Nobody's laptop, which in itself is another adventure.

Yesterday, it sucked to be a writer.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dude,
I'm so sorry for you. That sucks so much. I need to make back ups. I've been putting it off, but maybe now I'll get off my lazy butt and do it. I'm using Scrivener, and I understand it's fairly easy to back up on cloud. Now I'll figure it out--today!

Sending best thoughts your way and hoping the universe gets the person who ripped you off.

I'm certain that whatever you write next will be waaaay better then what was stolen from you, as hard as it is to climb back up on the horse.

·
Registered
851 Posts
That'll teach you to go to Walmart. (Just kidding)  So sorry.  Maybe you could try contacting all the local pawnshops and try to intercept the laptop if it comes in?

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
That is absolutely horrid. I hope you take some time to recouperate and take some time to be nice to yourself. make sure you do rewrite that book at some stage. Don't give up on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
The bummer of all bummers.  :(

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I am so sorry you had to experience something like this.

I think many of us have lost manuscripts in the past. Take me for example. Around 2004, before Dropbox or anything like that, I only ever saved my work on the laptop I was using. That laptop ended up crashing and not booting up again. I had a 160k MS on there which, at the time, was my pride and joy (it's now trunked). I also had a lot of art on that laptop I was in the process of completing.

I was fortunate that I was able to take it to Best Buy and get my files burned to a disk (for a fee) but I do understand the frustration you speak of.

Give yourself a few days to destress. Go for long walks, or a drive maybe. Don't try to write right now as you may only get frustrated from the lost work. That said, I think for now you should start something new. Wait a bit before you try to go back to what you lost.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Oh no, this is so sad. I lost Part 2 (WIP) on my computer. After hours, couldn't find it. So, I know how you feel but obviously not to the same degree as your loss. Take a deep breathe and think about all the good things in life, such as Mrs Nobody. Then, its start again, when you're ready. :(

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
That sucks.  I hope by some twist of fate, you manage to get it back.  

You don't have parts of the WIP you've emailed people?  That's how I salvaged my novel when my computer died.  

·
Registered
725 Posts
Dude...just...wow. :(

I felt myself getting angrier and angrier at the person that broke into your truck the more I read through your post. What a horrible experience! So sorry brother.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DDark said:
Could you try calling all the pawn shops in town as a heads-up? I'd tell them I'd be willing to pay for it if they get one in, because they can't know if items are stolen. I've seen people go to the news with stuff they had stolen or accidentally sold at a garage sale. So sorry to hear, but maybe your rewrites will be even better.

Please start using Dropbox or something similar and backup each time before you close your laptop (or every 5 minutes, like I do). Then copy to flash drives.

You might also consider what I do: I never take my laptop in public. Ever. When I want to work on my books outside of my house, I copy them to my Kindle and do highlight/notes, but I'm sure there are other devises which may work better. Then I come home and revise my manuscript. Use the opportunity to consider how you save your documents and how you travel with them.

I once saved up money and replaced my broken car radio with a nice $200 stereo. In one week, someone busted out my windows and ripped it out of the console. They damaged the inside of my car and my window, and all of it I paid out of pocket. I never replaced that stereo. If someone breaks into my car now, the only thing they're going to get is an ice scraper.
In that area alone (FM1960), there are over 100 pawnshops (according to Google) within 10 miles. I did do a search of Craig's list last night - nadda so far.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kathrynoh said:
You don't have parts of the WIP you've emailed people? That's how I salvaged my novel when my computer died.
I don't normally email folks my WIPS. I have three paragraphs that I sent my editor with a grammar question, but that's it. Sigh.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Joe, that is so horribly rotten it stinks.  :eek:

Maybe you could put up a reward sign at Walmart, asking for just the laptop... Criminals are stupid, they'll do anything for $50 bucks. I'm sure you know this, but you get to purchase one iPad a year as a write-off on taxes in this profession. Every time I finish a chapter or anything really, I email the WIP to myself, then open it my iPad-mini to be sure I have it before closing down my computer.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts