Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is this another way Amazon is pushing items at people? Every so often, there's something in my Recently Viewed list that I never looked at. The first couple of times, I just thought it was something I'd forgotten about clicking on. But it's stuff that I've never looked at, and some that I wouldn't even take as gifts. Geez, don't they sell enough copies of Downton Abbey without shoving it in my face? I've never watched the show, have no interest in it, and it isn't even related to anything I've ever clicked on.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I just had a weird one today as well. I'd never looked at it all, but apparently I'd recently viewed a book called "Artisan Bread in Minutes" or something like that. And then I got an email from amazon about an hour later, "Are you looking for something in the cookery book department?" with a link to that same book. I've never been on that page, LOL!

·
Registered
575 Posts
What they do is when you do view something they will list similar items in the recently viewed section. They have also been sending me e mails also trying to sell things when I only look at something similar for a second.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kisala9906 said:
What they do is when you do view something they will list similar items in the recently viewed section. They have also been sending me e mails also trying to sell things when I only look at something similar for a second.
Still trying to figure out what I've looked at that would be even remotely connected to Downton Abbey. But I guess that's one of the delights of Amazon -- trying to pierce the veil of mystery. :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm seeing "Related to Items You've Viewed" and "Inspired by Your Browsing History", which I assume are items viewed by other customers who also viewed items I viewed - if that makes sense.

·
Registered
817 Posts
TexasGirl did a check on how this was happening a while back and the conclusion was thus: some websites somehow open a small window without your browser noting it (I'm going by memory here; this is the net result, probably not how it actually happens, techies) and thus the item ends up in your "Recently Viewed" history without you ever actually looking at it. Pretty damned sneaky. Artisan Bread is one of the guiltiest of this particular strategy.

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
Catana said:
Is it just me or is this another way Amazon is pushing items at people? Every so often, there's something in my Recently Viewed list that I never looked at. The first couple of times, I just thought it was something I'd forgotten about clicking on. But it's stuff that I've never looked at, and some that I wouldn't even take as gifts. Geez, don't they sell enough copies of Downton Abbey without shoving it in my face? I've never watched the show, have no interest in it, and it isn't even related to anything I've ever clicked on.
Ah, but everybody loves Downton Abbey. At least everybody except you and me, it seems.

As for the artisan bread, that one is well known to show up in people's recently viewed and recommendation lists, even though they've never viewed it and have no interest in baking bread.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
RobertJCrane said:
TexasGirl did a check on how this was happening a while back and the conclusion was thus: some websites somehow open a small window without your browser noting it (I'm going by memory here; this is the net result, probably not how it actually happens, techies) and thus the item ends up in your "Recently Viewed" history without you ever actually looking at it. Pretty damned sneaky. Artisan Bread is one of the guiltiest of this particular strategy.
I hates them.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I actually sent a request to Amazon to enable users to be able to block a certain item since the A****** Bread (don't invoke the gods!) kept showing up and making all the recommendations stupid--pans and mixing bowls and more books, like I bake anything more complicated than sliced cookie dough.

They were nicer about it than usual and wrote an actual message back, not a cut and paste, about how they had heard this concern many times now.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I've had the Artisan breads issue too but, when I contacted Amazon, just got a form response.  It's so frustrating.  Yet there is a small part of me that thinks - how do they do that and does it sell books  ;D

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RobertJCrane said:
Aha! That makes sense. In a blind, algorithmic way.

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
I think I'm the only KBer not being stalked by the A-Bread.

Oh no. What have I done?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I've complained to Amazon three times now about Artisan Bread (I even started writing a song about it) - but all they could do was suggest deleting my browsing history and/or turning off the thing that tracks my browsing history. Which I did - and it kept sending me the Artisan Bread e-mails anyway because they obviously had it lodged in their memory that I had supposedly viewed it before I deleted the history...

In the end I had to turn off the emails, because it was starting to drive me mad.

In case anyone is curious - here are the sample verses/choruses that I came up with while brainstorming the song:

There's a book out for sale that just won't go away,
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

When Amazon send me their regular mail,
Guess what's the book that they're pimping for sale?

Every week there's an e-mail, I know it will say,
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

I've even sent e-mails right back to complain
But still I receive it again and again

I've clicked on the settings to say I don't care
But check my view hist'ry and, oh look, it's there.

I know I'm not viewing this infernal book,
But somehow the system thinks I always look.

I've heard of the theories, I've some of my own,
But whatever the cause, this is making me groan.

Oh, Artisan Bread, Artisan Bread,
Won't they please try to sell me something else instead.
I just can't figure how to keep this book at bay,
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

I just want it to leave me in peace and alone.
I am happy with bread that I make on my own.

Do you honestly think I'm so easily led?
I know just what I've viewed, it was not, by the way

They'll be claiming that I viewed it even after I'm dead
I do not want to buy you so please go away,

Lyrics by Zelah Meyer, copyright 2013

·
Registered
728 Posts
This thread made me go and look to see if I was hit by the A-Bread. No...but a whole bunch of books about North Korea. (I was looking at those a couple days ago.) My mother looked at them with this horrified look on her face like "Why are you reading books about North Korea? Don't tell me you're moving there!"

Yes mom just gonna pack my American butt up and move to NK.  ::)

/end OT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts