Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My book's file size changed on Amazon.  No, I did not upload a new version.  While I now receive one cent more on each sale, ??? I worry about what may have fallen out of the file to cause this.  Does anyone have an answer?  Has this ever happened to one of your books?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Odd. The only thing I can think of that might be relevant is that the kf8 format includes more than one version of your book. Devices ignore the format that they cannot read. This is so that older and newer Kindles can all download and read the same file.  So typically the kf8 format is much bigger than the book file by itself. No idea if it has anything to do with that, though.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It originally was 688 kb.  Now it says 603 kb?  That's why I'm worried.  For no reason it's a 12% smaller file!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VickiT said:
Suggestion: Buy a copy and check it. At least then you can be assured it's all in order. :)
I bought one when it first came out. If I try to buy it again, it just tells me I already have it. Is there a way to buy a 2nd copy?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
You should be able to download the book file from your KB dashboard, so you don't have to buy. Forget exactly where to click, but there's a button there somewhere...

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know how I can download my own book to my computer?  I already bought it on my Kindle.  I want to examine the current file to see if there is a problem.  I have searched the site, but apparently don't know where to look.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
OK I found it.
On you dashboard, tick the book and choose "Edit book details" from the drop down menu at the top.
on the page that opens, scroll down almost to the bottom.
Under "Preview your book" there is a section called "downloadable previewer"
Click on the "Download Book Preview File"
That should download the book file to your computer. 

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, Masha!  I got it.  Now, I must peruse the file.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all is well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've never thought to check a change in the file size! Can you post about what you find? I'm curious and I hope it's all there!
CJ

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KB'ers are a wonderful source of information.  I was able to download onto Kindle Previewer and the entire text of my book is there.  However, the front matter, including ToC is missing.  Yet, when I look inside in the Amazon Store, it is there.  Is it normal for this not to show in Kindle Previewer?  Is it possible Amazon is no longer counting front matter in file size?  I feel the ToC is important to the reading experience of this book, and not just a required add-on for some formats.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Sapphire said:
While I now receive one cent more on each sale, ???
Does the file size make a difference on how much you get paid? I thought it was a strict percentage of the sell price of the book.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
vrabinec said:
Does the file size make a difference on how much you get paid? I thought it was a strict percentage of the sell price of the book.
It's a straight 70% minus a small delivery fee. There's no delivery fee at the 35% royalty rate. I'm not worried about the payout amount either way. It's the book content that's important.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Yeah, it would suck if it's dropping the ToC. (Your ToC shows up in MY samples as well, but that doesn't necessarily mean it shows up when someone downloads the whole thing.)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Sapphire, it's possible the previewer is just not showing the TOC but it's still there.  Which previewer are you using?  Or if you like, you can mail the file to me and I can check it out for you?  Send me a PM and I'll give you an address, if that works for you.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Masha, I am using Amazon's Kindle Previewer which lets me view the book in Kindle, PaperWhite, and Kindle Fire.  My copy on my personal Kindle does have the front matter, but that was downloaded when I first published and before the file size shrinkage.  Do you think perhaps Amazon has found a way to reduce file size that doesn't omit anything?  I will send you a PM.  I really appreciate you offering to check it.  What file, in particular, will you need for me to send.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Sheryl I sent you a mail.
Send the file along (.mobi file)
I may only respond tomorrow morning, getting a bit late here.  :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Sapphire said:
KB'ers are a wonderful source of information. I was able to download onto Kindle Previewer and the entire text of my book is there. However, the front matter, including ToC is missing. Yet, when I look inside in the Amazon Store, it is there. Is it normal for this not to show in Kindle Previewer? Is it possible Amazon is no longer counting front matter in file size? I feel the ToC is important to the reading experience of this book, and not just a required add-on for some formats.
It's never automatically up in the previewer. You have to actually click on it in the TOC or click the Section Back button.

ETA: BY ToC I mean the NCX list. The previewer automatically opens to the first page of the story.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sapphire said:
KB'ers are a wonderful source of information. I was able to download onto Kindle Previewer and the entire text of my book is there. However, the front matter, including ToC is missing. Yet, when I look inside in the Amazon Store, it is there. Is it normal for this not to show in Kindle Previewer? Is it possible Amazon is no longer counting front matter in file size? I feel the ToC is important to the reading experience of this book, and not just a required add-on for some formats.
Sapphire, I'm sure you've resolved it all now, but FYI on the "Look inside" feature the front matter and ToC is all there. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts