Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An appeal to the experiences of the Great KB Brain Trust:

Does anyone else experience sudden spikes on their blog that seems completely unprompted?

I'm a quiet, obscure blogger, with hits from fellow writers and random people searching for "kindle cover causing crash" (my most popular post) or "drunk cow" (don't ask).

But every once in a while I get a spike of 50 hits at one time, like this morning at 7am. That is unusual for me, to say the least. Then it drops off to normal. I actually Googled myself this am to see if there was some reason for it.

Techie pros, could this be one person that merely appears to be a crowd? btw, twice now it has been from Germany. Yet no sales in that great land of my ancestors...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If it's over a very short period of time, it might be somebody trying to break into your site. Do your logs show where they were hitting? What page got a lot of visits, etc?

Server logs would be very useful trying to suss this out.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, Nathan, that hadn't occurred to me. I use Blogger, and am seeing this info on the Dashboard/Stats. The hits must be to the main page, not any post in particular, since the number of views don't add up.

Thanks for the idea to watch security.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have the same question, Gretchen.  I have a Gaelic Word a Day blog that I have done NOTHING to promote, and it typically gets as many or more hits per day than the blog I do promote.  At times, it has gotten huge spikes of well over 100 hits a day.  Sometimes, I find that a larger site has done a link to it along the lines of "Sites you might enjoy while you're waiting for our page to load."  I have no idea who these people are or how they found my site or why they linked to it.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
The thing to remember is that NO traffic stats are particularly accurate.  That's because there are servers and "spiders" and other kinds of maintenance robots hitting sites all the time.  Google itself has dozens if not hundreds of servers checking and gathering data for its algorithms.

So all stats and analytics are trying to filter out those activities.  Sometimes they miss legit hits because of this, and sometimes they screw up and count some of the robotic traffic.

I use an additional service called "Wundercounter" to keep an eye on stats and that helps give me an idea when I really AM more popular, and when something went wrong with Blogger's Stats filter.

This week, I'm suddenly getting a hundred or more hits a day (which are NOT real hits) from blogs which have their blog roll set to show the latest post from each blog listed in the widget. Those blogs have had me in the blog roll for a long time now, and they've never driven this much traffic (and all of them started hitting at once -- same day).  Wundercounter shows the usual amount of traffic.

I suspect that Blogger is not flitering out the hits from the widget's server, when it checks to see what my latest post is.

This is annoying, but that's the internet.  At some point they'll fix it, but at least I feel I'm getting my money's worth out of Wundercounter.

Camille

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much, Camille and Modwitch. That's just the geek rant I was looking for. I mean, explanation.

Love. this. board.

I'll definitely check out Google Analytics. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts