Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Wise Authors of the Kindle Boards! :)

I require your advice.

I'm finishing up another Veronica Grim story and hope to publish it this weekend, but I'm not sure how the heck to label it. No Rest for the Wicked is a bundle of two Veronica Grim stories, and this is another one in the series, but they don't have to be read in order. My plan is to eventually have little bundles and then one big collection.

How would you title these? I am torn between two options:

A: Change No Rest for the Wicked to say Volume 1 and then label this new story No Rest for the Wicked, Volume 2

B: Title this new one something completely different, and then add (Two Veronica Grim Short Stories) to my first story bundle, John Locke style so people will know they're the same series.

C: ?

D: Profit

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To clarify--because I think I may have explained it in a weird way--I'm picking between either changing the title of No Rest for the Wicked to say (Two Veronica Grim Short Stories) or to have a Volume 1 behind it.

I don't want people to think that they can't read this next story without reading the first, two though, but I do want them to know it's the same character and same premise: Fairy Tale Assassinations.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
RebeccaKnight said:
To clarify--because I think I may have explained it in a weird way--I'm picking between either changing the title of No Rest for the Wicked to say (Two Veronica Grim Short Stories) or to have a Volume 1 behind it.

I don't want people to think that they can't read this next story without reading the first, two though, but I do want them to know it's the same character and same premise: Fairy Tale Assassinations.

Thanks!
I'd say something like "Veronica Grim Short Stories" and have the new one say "A Veronica Grim Short Story)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool.  I like the way John Locke does it with his 99 cent novels.  They're always TITLE (A Donovan Creed Novel).

One vote for the Locke Method!  Thanks, Ryne  :).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
RebeccaKnight said:
Cool. I like the way John Locke does it with his 99 cent novels. They're always TITLE (A Donovan Creed Novel).

One vote for the Locke Method! Thanks, Ryne :).
I think the parenthesis come from putting his series as "A Donovan Creed Novel."

I put "The Sword of Kirakath" as my series, and it listed my book as "Through the Flames (The Sword of Kirakath)"

Once I can update it, I'm going to change the series to "The Sword of Kirakath, Book 1"

I prefer that set-up. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Caedem!  :)

I think it makes more sense, especially if they're not necessarily in order, but I didn't know if I was being nuts or not.  It's hard to know what makes it simpler for the readers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Kpfowler  Thanks so much!  :D I'm so excited you enjoyed the first ones.  I'm reading SKIN, and loving it so far, too!  Peas in a pod.

@genevieve  I laughed out loud at "pop and locke"  :D.  That's awesome..  And thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it.

On that note, would it be better to have it be NO REST FOR THE WICKED (Fairy Tale Assassin Short Stories)?

Or stick with Veronica Grim as a "brand name?"  So many options....  ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
992 Posts
RebeccaKnight said:
@Kpfowler Thanks so much! :D I'm so excited you enjoyed the first ones. I'm reading SKIN, and loving it so far, too! Peas in a pod.

@genevieve I laughed out loud at "pop and locke" :D. That's awesome.. And thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it.

On that note, would it be better to have it be NO REST FOR THE WICKED (Fairy Tale Assassin Short Stories)?

Or stick with Veronica Grim as a "brand name?" So many options.... ???
Yay! And thanks, that made my night ;D My first instinct it to say stick with Veronica Grim, but Fairy Tale Assassin may hook readers who aren't familiar with the character. It's long, but how about "A Veronica Grim, Fairy Tale Assassin Short" or something...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,749 Posts
"Codename: Dancer" is my first book, and the next one in the series (which will be out in November) is "Pointe of No Return."

The series is the Dani Spevak Mysteries, and "A Dani Spevak Mystery" appears on the cover as a subtitle.

When I listed it in Amazon, the title is "Codename: Dancer" but then it asks if it is part of a series, and if so, what the series title is. So it appears in the Amazon listing as "Codename: Dancer (A Dani Spevak Mystery)".

I had no idea that's how John Locke does it, but that's how series are handled on Amazon, so I imagine most people do it this way. Also, the covers make it quite clear that it's the same character in one series. You can see here: http://amandabrice.net/bookshelf/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,683 Posts
One more vote for "Fairy Tale Assassin" in the title. I've seen your book title like tons of times, but the minute I heard that, I was like, "OMG, must read!"

Downloading sample now.

On another note, could you title the next book something else with the word wicked in it? A Shakespeare quote comes to mind like, "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (I know Bradbury got there first, though.) I don't know, but the idea would be you'd have "No Rest for the Wicked (Fairy Tale Assassin Short Stories" and "Wicked Games (Fairy Tale Assassin Short Stories)" or something. ?? (Oh, I guess that's B on your list. Which I vote for, because I think it's confusing to have two books named the same thing, and volume numbers imply you have to read in order.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Love the "more wicked" idea, Valerie!  :D

I'll try to do the wicked tie-in with the Fairy Tale Assassin series thing.

Thanks for the votes, all (and for the fanboy squeal, TJ  ;).  You're awesome!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BOOYAH!  It's up, guys!  :D

I decided to go with an individual name for the story but add (A Fairytale Assassin Short Story).  It's in my sig below.  I'm updating the other cover, too.

Thank you all so much for your help!  You guys rock!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top