1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I name my car - Hermie
I name my RV - Charlie
I name my GPS - Matilda

For some reason I have never wanted to name my Kindle. Am I alone in this? I was going to try to do a poll, but don't know how. So may question is are there other folks out there who don't name their Kindle?

Steve

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
stevene9 said:
So may question is are there other folks out there who don't name their Kindle?

Steve
Yes. Some do and some don't. Those who do should NEVER berate those who don't. And those who don't should NEVER make fun of those who do. (Though you're likely to see some good-natured kidding in both directions.)

Different strokes, as they say.

My car is my car. My computer is my computer. My laptop is my laptop (though it's called babylaptop on the network to distinguish it from my hubby's laptop). My phone is my phone, my flute is my flute, my guitar is my guitar. . .you get the idea. Oh, and my Kindle is my Kindle. :D

Ann

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm one of the "namers"  ;D
Let me introduce you to Bella.
But I also dressed Bella up in a new skin and am looking into buying her a new coat aka new cover.
Someone posted the other day that some of us are using our Kindles as a grown up version barbie doll.  Maybe true I did play with barbies when I was small.
To be truthful my sister has barbie and ken and I had the "friends" midge and allen.
OK I just showed my age, didn't I or am I the only one that remember the friends midge and allen?????
LOL

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've named my green laptop Kiwi.
And my first car (looong time ago) I name Sheppie. When it didn't work properly, I called it Schleppie.
I haven't felt the urge to name a car since then.

But my newborn Kindle is Sophie. Before she arrived, I thought I'd name her Birch ala the tree, but that word is *cough* too similar to another word altogether, so Sophie it is. Sophie Birch, perhaps? Er, maybe not.

Don't ask me why I name inanimate objects. I've learned not to question my own quirks, let alone the quirks of others.  Although my quirks are outwardly apparent, I suppose: I was voted "Most likely to feel sorry for the feelings of an inanimate object" during college superlatives on my rowdy dorm floor. And that category had been written in by numerous people, so it was like a big arrow pointing to me, if you will. Nevermind what other categories I won, but here I go off on a tangent. Suffice it to say: I stand with the Kindle namers, but understand those who see it as blatantly odd.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
farmwife99 said:
OK I just showed my age, didn't I or am I the only one that remember the friends midge and allen?????
LOL
I remember Midge and Allen. And little sister Skipper, too.

L

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I haven't named my Kindle, although I know it's a he.  ;D  My GPS I named because it's much easier to argue with if it has a name, and the voice sounded like the name.  Other then that I don't name my stuff.  Electronics come and go so fast with me it is sort of like naming my food.  :)

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
Gables Girl said:
My GPS I named because it's much easier to argue with if it has a name, and the voice sounded like the name.
My GPS is named TomTom :D

I have to say, though, I just gave it a new voice yesterday. Was tired of listening to Susan and decided to have Richard instead. :)

Ann

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Gables Girl said:
I haven't named my Kindle, although I know it's a he. ;D My GPS I named because it's much easier to argue with if it has a name, and the voice sounded like the name. Other then that I don't name my stuff. Electronics come and go so fast with me it is sort of like naming my food. :)
Our GPS is "the Hussy" (sounds much better than the other name that rhymes with witch). The name of the voice we chose is Karen which is my husband's ex-wife's name; I refuse to use it, LOL!

Our grandkids named their GPS "The Magic Conch." Apparently in Sponge Bob, there was an episode where Sponge Bob and his cohorts had to do whatever the Magic Conch told them.

Funny, no one thinks twice about naming a boat... ;D

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Funny, no one thinks twice about naming a boat... ;D

Betsy
Actually, my parents bought a boat in 1967 and we "inherited" it back in 1992 and brought it over to Sebago Lake. That poor boat has never been officially named although there have been lots of suggestions over the years: The Virgin Lessica; The Great Pumpkin; and most recently, Two Lakes. But really, its name is "The Boat."

L

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Yes. Some do and some don't. Those who do should NEVER berate those who don't. And those who don't should NEVER make fun of those who do. (Though you're likely to see some good-natured kidding in both directions.)

Different strokes, as they say.

My car is my car. My computer is my computer. My laptop is my laptop (though it's called babylaptop on the network to distinguish it from my hubby's laptop). My phone is my phone, my flute is my flute, my guitar is my guitar. . .you get the idea. Oh, and my Kindle is my Kindle. :D

Ann
I've never named anything that won't come when I call it*. Although I have called my guitars a few things from time to time. :)

Mike

*Yes, before anybody says anything, all of my cats have come when I called them, although the current one grumps a bit about it unless the word "treat" is involved.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I never named my cars or any of my other gadgets, but my dog's name is Aiko and my Kindle's name is Gizmo! 

G

·
mimikoh said:
I never named my cars or any of my other gadgets, but my dog's name is Aiko and my Kindle's name is Gizmo!
Then you probably shouldn't get it wet. Or read on it after midnight.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hmmm, haven't named too many inanimate objects but here is the list:

Kindle=Jinx
GPS=Karen (Aussie accent and that was the name that came with the accent ;))
copy machine in the PTA office=George
Riso machine in the PTA office=Herman

Funny enough, I have the other girls calling the copy machines by their names :p

1 - 20 of 54 Posts