Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok- I am thoroughly enjoying my k1, and am anxiously awaiting k2.  My k1 is just named Denise's kindle, but I want to get creative for the new baby.  SOOO, what kind of names do you have for your kindles?  Do you name them after fav characters or authors or what?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mia... (cause when I'm reading, I'm M.I.A.)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I named my new one, NKOTB, New Kindle On The Block

·
Registered
788 Posts
Benjamin said:
Kindles are objects, they dont get names. This naming the kindle stuff is childish.
People name their cars. Boats and automobiles are often referred to as "she" (she's listing to the starboard side!). Boats are named and christened in a ceremony. Is naming a boat as childish as naming a Kindle?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I don't know.  As I stare at my computer screen (lovingly called "Blinky") and type on my keyboard (affectionately called "Spelly") while using my mouse (called "Clickers") to point the cursor (called "Arrow") where I need it...

Okay, so I'm being facetious. 

I never named my Kindle, because it's odd to me.  But to each his or her own.  If someone else wants to name theirs, that's their call.

*I hope people take this in the joking tone I mean it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Boats get names, that comes from early B.C. People that name thier cars are goofy. Ya going to start naming your blenders and tvs too?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Sometimes it is fun to be a little childish. I admit that we named our boat and christened it. We invited our neighbors and friends and had a great time. One of the things I really enjoy about the KindleBoards is you can name your Kindle and others will enjoy that with you. Now that I have my Lily skin and Dragonfly Pond cover, my Kindle is now personalized and needs a name. I've decided to name her KD Kindle. When I was younger one of the most popular names for girls was Kathy, so my dad always called me by my initials which are KD. He would call me KD Kid pronounced Kady Kid, so now my Kindle will be KD Kindle.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I changed my Kindle's name, but I always refer to it as "my kindle" so I suppose I didn't really name it. Same with my iPod, it has a name, but I don't call it by it.

Oh, "spelly" and "clickers"? Hilarious!

Benjamin said:
Boats get names, that comes from early B.C. People that name thier cars are goofy. Ya going to start naming your blenders and tvs too?
I still think that my point about boats is valid though. They're objects. And I've heard many people call their cars by an affectionate pet name. It furthermore stretches the "they're objects" argument when people talk about their cars using the female pronoun. (She's a beauty!)

Would you fault a child for naming a doll or a teddy bear? I mean, they're just objects.

I can't fault people for naming something they have affection for, it's human nature to want to personalize things that we really like. More than half of the owners of the iRobot Roomba have a name for their Roomba.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dooterbug-Love it!  I don't understand Benjamins post- All the libraries I have worked in have names, and my kindle is my personal library.  what's wrong with giving it a title ben? As well there are 4 kindles in my household, so having a name for them certainly makes it easier to send books and to identify them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nothing wrong with being a little childish sometimes...to each their own.

Named the sailboat after my Avatar (Stargazer), and have named my K2 "Bellatrix".

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
stargazer0725 said:
Nothing wrong with being a little childish sometimes...to each their own.

Named the sailboat after my Avatar (Stargazer), and have named my K2 "Bellatrix".
We have a Grady White and named it Rolling Stone. My husband is a big Rolling Stone fan. This is the 3rd boat with the name. I keep telling him that no one will want to get on a boat with the word Stone in it, but he loves the name. ;D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've named mine. A name is just something to set them apart. There isn't anything wrong with it.In most languages words have gender. A book, while in English, is called "it", in Spanish it is a masculine word. So if they want to say "it is good" and are talking about the book, it translates into "HE is good". Objects have gender in most other languages. If a Spanish speaker can refer to a book as HE, it's not a far stretch to name it when it already uses a pronoun used for people as well. English is just a weird language and doesn't have grammatical gender.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mikuto said:
I changed my Kindle's name, but I always refer to it as "my kindle" so I suppose I didn't really name it. Same with my iPod, it has a name, but I don't call it by it.

I still think that my point about boats is valid though. They're objects. And I've heard many people call their cars by an affectionate pet name. It furthermore stretches the "they're objects" argument when people talk about their cars using the female pronoun. (She's a beauty!)

Would you fault a child for naming a doll or a teddy bear? I mean, they're just objects.

I can't fault people for naming something they have affection for, it's human nature to want to personalize things that we really like. More than half of the owners of the iRobot Roomba have a name for their Roomba.
Guilty! That thing is doing me a huge favor while I sit on the couch reading. So, his name is Jeeves, my British man servant. ;)

And yes, my Kindle is named Claude.

My car, a New Beetle, red--- named, Princess Poppy. She is a paid super model.

She was in Target's spring ads a couple years back. 24 ft high in Times Square baby!

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Tavar, named after a favorite character of mine in the Codex Alera series. It is Tavi's nickname given to him by a Canim. The Tavar is a small creature that is very, very dangerous. It is a master hunter, smart, nimble, and it will not die alone. It is feared by every creature on Canea. For some reason, I felt that the tavar in the book had much in common with my Kindle. And Tavi is just a great over all character.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Nothing wrong with being a little childish from time to time. I'd rather see a name than see Heather's 4th Kindle on the top of my screen all the time. When sending samples and purchasing books, it's also easier to remember that my mom has Eleanor and my daughter has Orion than to remember which one has the 2nd Kindle and which one has the third

My new Kindle is Lady Bella Paige, Bella for short...The beautiful page of paper. That's what I think when I see the new Kindle.

When I saw the first Boy Genius pictures, I thought it was ugly. After seeing the newer pictures and video of it, my opinion has completely changed. I can't wait to actually have it in my hands.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Mikuto said:

My Roomba is named Rosie. Corny, I know but she does a great job of vacuuming.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine is named Lady Macbeth because she is my favorite character of all time, I luv her madness, and I luv Shakespeare.
My mom's K2 is Scherezada, she's a story teller, or at least she's my story teller so I suggested that name.
I think it's necessary to name the Kindle FOR ME, 'cause I get mixed up otherwise...and I'm a child inside ;D

1 - 20 of 384 Posts