Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I'm a high school junior in the foothills of NC, and I've been debating purchasing the K2 for months now. I used to read a ton in my earlier years of high school, but now I have a bunch of new things that I partake in. I miss reading, and I keep thinking that the K2 would refresh that love.

I'm such a tech nerd that I wish the K3 would definite. I've heard that it may be a touch screen, in color, and possibly bigger? I wonder if the whispernet would still be included "free", or if the price would sky rocket. I just don't know if I can wait that long until it is available.

I'm holding back on my purchase because of the downfalls of the K2 that I've found. I've heard that the ink fades away in the center during direct sunlight, as well as bad CS. I've also heard that it suddenly dies after a year, (after the included warranty) and I want this to last until my college years. I'm a first e-booker, and worried that I'll become unsatisfied with the K2.

Tyler

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Welcome Tyler.  Glad you found the Boards. 
I do not personally have a K2, but from what others have said only some of the K2s have a fading problem and that CS definitely replaces them for that problem, as well as any other problems that arise.  What K3 will consist of is pretty much speculation right now. 
I can tell you that K1 and K2 are awesome products and have renewed the love of reading in many people.  I have not heard anything about Ks dying after a year.  No one on here has had that problem and many of our members have been users for longer than a year.
Again, welcome.
deb

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
No one can have had a K2 die as described, theyhave only been out 3 months. Any rumors you heard about bad customer service were inaccurate as well. Amazon has told the people who did receive a Kindle with a bad screen or sun fading that they would replace them as many times as it takes to get a good one. As a reading device either the Kindle1 or 2 is superb. One or the other should last you many years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, hm. Maybe I was mistaken for the K1 dying within a year, silly mistake. That does seem like a weird occurrence anyway. And I also just went through the boards and learned that only some k2's have bad screens.

Is it possible to play an audiobook and read the text version on the kindle at the same time?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Ohhh....that's a good question.  I want the answer to that one as well.
deb

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Welcome to the boards!!  8)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Well, some owners use the text to speech feature to read along with but I don't know about the use of an audio book and an ebook at the same time.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Welcome. Glad you are researching before buying. It is a big investment and you should be informed before buying. So far I have been lucky and both my K1 and the K2 have not had problems. They are easy to use and if you love to read, a nice tech gadget. :)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome Tyler! I originally had the Kindle Klassic and bought a K2 when it come out. I love it and have had no problem with it fading in the sunlight.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Welcome Tyler.  You are doing a great job of researching the Kindle.  It is a big investment, but one that is well worth every penny.  Have fun!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Welcome Tyler. Since Amazon has just made the announcement of a press conference scheduled for May 6th I would hold out for that. There is rumor that they are going to announce a larger screen which will be much more suited for text books that may serve you better for your college years.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Welcome to the Kindleboards! If the K2 doesn't sound like its for you..You can allows get a refurb k1 for a little bit cheaper. I personally use a k1 for leisure reading and for college note storage.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hello Tyler and welcome to KindleBoards. I have a Kindle 1 and have had no issues with it at all. My daughter has the K2 and has been perfect for her with no negative issues either. I realize that the cost of the Kindle is no small issue, but if you decide to get one you won't regret it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hi Tyler!  It's true there has been several problems with the K2.  I had to have mine replaced because it wouldn't charge,  I have heard only good responses from people who have had problems and needed a replacement.  My replacement was sent next day and many others here have had the same speed of replacement.  I use my in direct sunlight often with no issues. It appears the issues are slowing being resolved and the Kindlers are Happy. ;D ;D
jp

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I was all excited for the DX press conference Wednesday, yet left disappointed. I was hoping for a touch screen! Although, that would cost a whole lot more, in addition to the ginormous size it has become.
And I will be away from home basically all summer, and I wanted a kindle NOW, so last night I purchased the K2 along with a M-edge Go mocha case. Plus i have bought many free books/samples already so I can start reading once I get the kindle :)! That's all for now.  Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Congratulations on your K2! Keep us posted on delivery days, first impressions, raves, etc.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase.  I'm glad you told us your impressions of the DX.  I was wondering what you would think.  Have a great summer.
deb

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Tyler - when will your kindle arrive?  You will love it as much as the rest of us I am sure, particularly if you are going to be doing any traveling.  Nice to have you here, but I wonder where all the enablers are?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts