Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I read Snow Crash quite a while ago and liked it. I read a sample of The Diamond Age more recently and liked it even more, but the current price ($11.99) is just too high.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I loved Snow Crash and Diamond Age and hope to get around to rereading them this year.

If you have good staying power with a long book, I really suggest The Baroque Cycle, which is actually three separate very long books (Quicksilver, The Confusion, and The System of the World), Cryptonomicon, and Anathem.

·
Registered
539 Posts
That's it exactly.

And The Baroque Cycle is 17th Century Cyberpunk.

Really.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The Baroque Cycle is actually about NINE full length novels packaged for print in 3-6 books, depending on which ones you buy. Massive, meandering, epic, and awesome. More historical footnotes than an Alan Lee graphic novel :p

Anathema was awesome. World building on a grand scale. He is right at the pinnicle of future thinking authors when it comes to tech and societal reaction. His early work is much more accessible, and even that stuff was lightyears ahead of his contemporaries.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Snow Crash is one of my all time favorites: absolutely one of the most fun reads I ever had.

Unfortunately, although I think I must rate Stephenson as a genius in terms of writing ability, his other books so far have not been as much pure fun for me as Snow Crash. However, that being said, they are excellent none-the-less, and I wish I could write half as well as he does.

Others I've read have been the Diamond Age, and Cryptonomicon (just finished it).

·
Registered
539 Posts
Don't know why this is standing out for me, but ...

I can't be the only chick who reads Stephenson (and likes him), can I?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I liked Snowcrash and Cryptonomicon, (and liked Cryptonomicon more than Snowcrash) but I found the Baroque Cycle books so painful I could only read one of them - Quicksilver.  Quicksilver convinced me that Neil Stephenson needs a more assertive editor. As in, one who is willing to chop out large irrelevant sections! ;)

But on the other hand,  I know quite a few people who loved those books.

·
Registered
72 Posts
DIAMOND AGE is one of my all-time favorite books. I listen to it on tape (cassette tapes. Seriously) every few years. When I see steampunk anything, I want to shake someone and say, "Do you know your origins?"

His books are auto-buy in hardback for me.

Though I have to admit--either I was at the wrong place and time in my life, or I'm just getting lazy, but Anathem was sluggish-slow and needed a good shrediting, I thought.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Diamond Age was one of the first books I bought for my Kindle. This was the first gen, so the price was reasonable. (Really they want $11.99 now?!) I thought it would be cool to read an ebook about an ebook on an ebook device. :D

I barely finished Cryptonomicon tho, and didn't finish Quicksilver. I did enjoy Snow Crash (the first of his I read), In the Beginning....was Command Line, and The Big U.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you are a computer geek, like me, you will LOVE Cryptonomicon.  I actually own that one, I loved it so much.  I learned so much about the history of the Turing Machine and code breaking during WWII.  Really good.

BTW- I'm a woman, and I liked him, so no, you're not the only one.  hahaha

·
Registered
78 Posts
Patrick Skelton said:
A guy here at work was raving about Cryptonomicon. He said it was a computer geek's dream novel! LOL
That's an excellent description. ;D I once wrote a review of the book that included the following... What do Ronald Reagan, the Nazi Enigma Code, Captain Crunch cereal, and Internet Privacy all have in common? Cryptonomicon.

It's a huge novel, but you'll get to the end way too soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.