Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to do something more than open a can, but I don't really like these people enough to go to a lot of work, LOL!  Actually, that's not true, I like them quite a bit, just don't want to have to work any harder than I already am to get ready for this meeting at my house.

Anybody got a foolproof baked bean recipe?

Betsy

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is the Baked Bean recipe I ue all of the time.

I take a couple of cans of the cheapest baked beans drain in a collander. I mix in a little mustard,ketcheup,brown sugar, and finely diced onion ( i do this in the food processer) I put them into a baking dish and top with 1/2 lb  bacon. Put into a prehated 350 degree oven and bake till bacon looks done. About 45min to an hour.

Sorry I do not measure anything.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I'd like to do something more than open a can, but I don't really like these people enough to go to a lot of work, LOL! Actually, that's not true, I like them quite a bit, just don't want to have to work any harder than I already am to get ready for this meeting at my house.

Anybody got a foolproof baked bean recipe?

Betsy
We have a wonderful dish called "Beans and e-Coli" (my sister in law coined that name during the Jack in the Box fiasco)

It is simple:

Pick any flavor you like of Bush's Baked Beans and a pound of ground beef.

Brown the ground beef in a skillet until done - season to taste, onions may be mixed in if desired

Pour one or two cans of Baked Beans in and warm.

Serve with Tabasco or ketchup alongside fresh corn bread!

Yummmmm

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
ferretlover's recipe is much like what I do. . .can use molasses instead of brown sugar if you want.  Can also stir in some bacon bits to be sure the baconny flavor goes all through.  I like Bush's best, but this will really dress up Campbell's in a pinch.

Ann

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Ferretluver's recipe sounds exactly like the one that DD's dad's mother used to make, and those were the best baked beans ever!  Others in her family had variations, but they all agreed that starting with a can and then "refining" it worked best.  

One of the variations added sliced hot dogs to the mix, which was good too.  Add some good crusty bread, and you've got a meal.

Thanks for reminding me it's almost lunchtime.   :D

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
wilsondm2 said:
We have a wonderful dish called "Beans and e-Coli" (my sister in law coined that name during the Jack in the Box fiasco)

It is simple:

Brown the ground beef in a skillet until done - season to taste, onions may be mixed in if desired

Yummmmm
That sounds delicious.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
how funny is it that we all do the same basic quick bean recipe - I do the same one using molasses instead of brown sugar and I also saute my onions with a little green or red pepper cut up (maybe a quarter to a half of a pepper)  and you can cook it in a crockpot to make it even easier.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rho said:
how funny is it that we all do the same basic quick bean recipe - I do the same one using molasses instead of brown sugar and I also saute my onions with a little green or red pepper cut up (maybe a quarter to a half of a pepper) and you can cook it in a crockpot to make it even easier.
I'd have to buy a crockpot, LOL!

But these all sound like great variations! AND easy! KindleBoards Rocks! Thanks, y'all! Off to the store.

Betsy

·
Registered
392 Posts
Forster said:
That sounds delicious.
It is very delicious! We fight over the cornbread! My wife puts Schlotksy's sauce on hers (like tabasco) and I load mine down with ketchup. It doesn't take very long at all to make either.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
wilsondm2 said:

It is simple:

Yummmmm
I'm going to have to do this soon it sounds great -- but I think I might change the name :eek:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Here's a couple of baked bean recipes.
Old Settlers is a friend of mines recipe and Harlequin Beans is an old family recipe. Both are excellent. You can make a meal off of Old Settlers all by itself.

Old Settlers Baked Beans

1 pound ground beef
1 pound bacon
1 large onions
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup red barbecue sauce (your favorite)
4 tablespoons mustard
4 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 can butter beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 can pork and beans

Brown in large skillet, ground beef, onion and bacon. Add remaining ingredients, mix well and bake in dish or bean pot.

1 hour at 350.

Harlequin Beans

1 can kidney beans
1 can lima beans or butter beans
1 can baby lima beans
1 can pork and beans
1 large onions chopped
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 pound bacon fried and diced
1/3 cup ketchup

Fry bacon. Remove bacon and brown onion in grease. Add dry mustard, vinegar and sugar.
Simmer for 20 minutes.
Do not drain beans.
Pour over beans, add bacon chips,
Stir and pour into large pot.

350 for 2 hours

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I use this recipe

All-American Baked Beans
Serves 10-12

1 pound dried navy or Great Northern beans
8 ounces slab or thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4" pieces
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 cups ketchup
6 tablespoons maple syrup
6 tablespoons dark molasses
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Rinse and pick through the beans. Soak them overnight in a large pot of water.
Rinse the soaked beans well under cold water and place them in a heavy saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, 45 minutes to an hour. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid.
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Place a 6-quart flameproof casserole or dutch oven over medium heat and saute bacon until slightly crisp and fat is rendered, about five minutes. Add the onions and garlic, cooking until it's wilted, about 5 minutes.
Add the brown sugar and stir over medium-low heat until it has dissolved, about five minutes. Stir in the ketchup, syrup, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Add the drained beans and mix well.
Cover and transfer to the oven. Bake, stirring occasionally, for 2 1/2 hours. Make sure you scrape the bottom when you stir.
Add 3/4 cup of the reserved bean liquid, cover, and bake another 30 minutes. Remove the cover and bake, stirring once, until the sauce is thick and syrupy, another 10-15 minutes. Serve hot.

That is the basic recipe, but what I do is cook the great northern beans in my pressure cooker and then add them to the already mixed together sauce and then cook until the flavors are well blended, the sauce is thickened some and the beans are the perfect texture. You can substitute canned beans that are rinsed in an emergency, I don't like the texture of canned beans much though.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
My dad, who is not a cook, made baked beans last week.  They were the best ones I've had in a really long time.  He said he uses Splenda brown sugar.  He's diabetic.  I think we all had at least two helpings.  There were no leftovers. 
deb

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Neversleepsawink;) said:
Looks like you already got some good baked bean recipes....if ever stuck go to allrecipes.com. Type in the dish you want and then sort by average rating. Every item I've made from there has been a winner. :)
That was my next choice if y'all didn't come through for me. I've used them and I think it's cooks.com, and gotten great recipes. But I wanted something from a real person. ;D There was a great consensus here...

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rasputina said:
I use this recipe

All-American Baked Beans
Serves 10-12

1 pound dried navy or Great Northern beans
8 ounces slab or thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4" pieces
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 cups ketchup
6 tablespoons maple syrup
6 tablespoons dark molasses
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Rinse and pick through the beans. Soak them overnight in a large pot of water.
Rinse the soaked beans well under cold water and place them in a heavy saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, 45 minutes to an hour. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid.
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Place a 6-quart flameproof casserole or dutch oven over medium heat and saute bacon until slightly crisp and fat is rendered, about five minutes. Add the onions and garlic, cooking until it's wilted, about 5 minutes.
Add the brown sugar and stir over medium-low heat until it has dissolved, about five minutes. Stir in the ketchup, syrup, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Add the drained beans and mix well.
Cover and transfer to the oven. Bake, stirring occasionally, for 2 1/2 hours. Make sure you scrape the bottom when you stir.
Add 3/4 cup of the reserved bean liquid, cover, and bake another 30 minutes. Remove the cover and bake, stirring once, until the sauce is thick and syrupy, another 10-15 minutes. Serve hot.

That is the basic recipe, but what I do is cook the great northern beans in my pressure cooker and then add them to the already mixed together sauce and then cook until the flavors are well blended, the sauce is thickened some and the beans are the perfect texture. You can substitute canned beans that are rinsed in an emergency, I don't like the texture of canned beans much though.
Rasputina,

This sounds like a great recipe, I'm going to keep it!

But... I have to do a lot of stuff tonight because I'll be in the meeting tomorrow, so I'm keeping it as simple as possible. I am making chocolate chip cookies and potato salad tonight. And cutting up the relish tray stuff. And... anyway, anything with more than five steps won't do it for me tonight!

But I think I'm going to make these for the next family cookout and I'll let you know how they came out!

Betsy

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
That was my next choice if y'all didn't come through for me. I've used them and I think it's cooks.com, and gotten great recipes. But I wanted something from a real person. ;D There was a great consensus here...

Betsy
I totally understand....everyone here always has wonderful ideas. I love Kindleboards.com :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts