Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Kindle last year for my parents but it was mainly for my dad who is a voracious reader and enjoys many of the same books I do.  We share an account, so this works out well for us.

My mom doesn't read much but the Kindle proved irresistible so my dad put a couple of books on the Kindle for her to read.

She has read The Red Tent and most of Barbara Walters' Audition on the Kindle.  She reads a few DTBs, but I am not sure of the titles.  With this limited info, does anyone have a recommendation for a really good Kindle book that I can download for her on Christmas?

Thanks,

Susan

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hiya Susan. I love Richard Paul Evans....his books are inspirational without being over the top. If she's not a big reader, his books may be good for her as I can chew through one in one sitting. I love The Gift though I was bawling like a baby at the end :(

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Susan,

Get her the three plums in one. The Stephanie Plum series are halarious and even those who don't read much will get a kick out of them. The first 3 together are $9 which is a savings over buying the first 3 seprately. There are now 14 and I have laughed my way through them all so has my mother and sister and all my trian friends.

Outlander series is a good romance/literature book. Which is really good... of course I got everyone to read it in my family too.

TheresaM

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Theresa - those both sound good.

Susan

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I checked out The Red Tent to see what your mother likes. Is it stories set in biblical times your mother likes or is the women's theme. I would recommend The Source, but the Kindle edition is no longer being offered.

If it's the women's theme, you might try these.

I haven't read either one, but both have been highly recommended on the Board.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone - those all sound great - I would be glad to have those in the library for me too.

I think she likes the women/relationship stuff.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Susan M said:
Thanks everyone - those all sound great - I would be glad to have those in the library for me too.

I think she likes the women/relationship stuff.
If she like women/relationship she might like the books by Karen Kingsbury. She has quite a few Kindle books.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
My MIL reads a lot of Debbie Macomber.  They are nice romance novels that are explicit sex and cuss word free.  She has quite a few for the Kindle.  It might be what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
bkworm8it said:
Get her the three plums in one. The Stephanie Plum series are halarious and even those who don't read much will get a kick out of them. The first 3 together are $9 which is a savings over buying the first 3 seprately. There are now 14 and I have laughed my way through them all so has my mother and sister and all my trian friends.
Thanks for posting this one. I bought book one last night. I was able to return it and get the bundle for $1.50 more. Can't beat that. :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
You'll enjoy the Plum books. Just a word of caution where you read them... My mom got kicked out of bed by my dad because she kept shaking the bed laughing so hard. He told her to go to another room to read.  ;D

TheresaM

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
bkworm8it said:
You'll enjoy the Plum books. Just a word of caution where you read them... My mom got kicked out of bed by my dad because she kept shaking the bed laughing so hard. He told her to go to another room to read. ;D

TheresaM
And never read them in public. People will look at you strangely.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
gertiekindle said:
And never read them in public. People will look at you strangely.
People look at you strangly when listening to an audio book while on the jogging track at the gym and you start laughing out loud!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Add me to the list recommending the Evanovich books!!  Grandma is such a scream...and was it book six or seven where she inherits the dog....one of the scenes with the dog almost had me on the floor it was so funny!!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Daisysmama said:
Add me to the list recommending the Evanovich books!! Grandma is such a scream...and was it book six or seven where she inherits the dog....one of the scenes with the dog almost had me on the floor it was so funny!!
I loved it when Steph fed the dog (Bob?) Chinese, or he probably stole it and ate it cartons and all. She rushed him over to Joyce's house and let him loose on Joyce's lawn. She's so creative with her revenge.

Just keep Grandma away from Stiva's. On second thought, don't keep her away from Stiva's. She always causes a funny scene.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I loved "The Friday Night Knitting Club" too ... another author she might like is Fanny Flagg (hilarious) -this time of year her "Red Bird Christmas" is a wonderful book to read.

Glynnis

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just keep Grandma away from Stiva's. On second thought, don't keep her away from Stiva's. She always causes a funny scene.
[/quote]

Its the explosions and property damage that really get me!

Katiekat

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I loved the Red Tent...One of my favorites...If she liked that I also loved  The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingslover.  It is in kindle format and is $4.95.  I know Bible is in the title but it's not about the bible.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't tend to like romances or 'chick lit' but these two books are great!:

The Notebook , the book and movie, always makes me cry!

Another book to movie. A young girl is forced into being a geisha. While she has lots of hardships she also finds an inner strength and true love.

You could make it a combo gift. Get her the kindle books and the dvds!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts