Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my enabling friends!  I kind of dropped out of the accessories thread when the K2s came out, since I didn't have a K2 and that's mostly what was being talked about.  Well, now I have one, and I'm not sure what all is out there for it.  I have an Oberon (purple fairy) for my K1, but I'm thinking that I want something simpler (and cheaper) for the K2.  I searched on amazon, but it wasn't very helpful, since it seemed like K1 covers and random books came up first.  ???

So, what covers does everyone have for their K2?  Bonus points for pictures and if you can recommend a skin to go with it ;D

·
Registered
140 Posts
I currently have an M-edge Prodigy in Red. I have to say that I don't love it. I like the hinges, but the tab closure on mine isn't very secure. The tab doesn't stay put and the front cover slides open, leaving the right side of my Kindle exposed. It's hard to explain, but it drives me crazy! The huge ledge intended for the m-edge eluminator light is also an annoyance- it causes the spine to collapse when the cover is closed. Maybe I'll like the ledge more when (if?) M-edge releases their redesigned light. Suffice it to say that I'm looking for another cover, and wouldn't recommend the Prodigy right now!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Well, I'm not much help--cover #1 is an Oberon (which is, well, the same as what you had), #2 is an Amazon cover I tore apart & redid (not exactly simpler), and #3, on its way, is a Noreve.  Which is simpler, but isn't exactly going to save you any money unless you pick one up used.  :D

But--some insights, for what they're worth. 

I started with the Oberon for the same reasons everyone else gets them. You have one, so there's no reason to elaborate. For me, the Oberon is too heavy & a bit bulky feeling.

Went with the Amazon with the intent of redoing it--which was fun, but it's been too difficult to find the right materials to make one exactly the way I want it.  However, having gone with the hinge system for a couple of months, I've found that I REALLY like the floating look a lot.  However, though I think the hinge system is pretty clever, they didn't get it right on the K2--Amazon ended up adding magnets to the back panel of the DX & the back cover to keep the unit from cracking if it falls forward.  No such protection on the K2.

The Noreve's rail system has attracted me all along, I just didn't like the price tag or the interior "wallet" setup.  But after redoing an Amazon cover & realizing I still wasn't happy with what I had, I opted to take advantage of the current 15% off coupon and give it a try.  Now I'm not so patiently waiting for my new Sandy Vintage version to arrive.

I've also found that I'm happy enough reading without any cover at all for the most part--covers for me are added protection from rampaging schnauzers & crazy cats....and husbands who tend to set things on top of other things.  However, not one of them is light enough for me for dropping into my purse.  So I started looking at sleeves.  Tried the Octo (reviewed in the reviews section), the BorsaBella Naked Kindle Sleeve (like it, but not protective enough against impacts), and finally the new TrendyDigital Simplicity, which I love.  A review of that is also in the reviews section.  It's more compact & lightweight than any cover out there, rigid enough to protect, and it's in a fun faux croc finish.  I use it strictly for taking the K2 out of the house, and I have to admit I marvel at the lightness of it every time I pick it up.

Calypso's been through two skins--Monet's Garden at Giverny and Monet's Waterlilies.  I adore Waterlilies for it's tranquil look and haven't had a whole lot of urge to change it out again, but I do try to stay out of the skins thread.  LOL 

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VictoriaP said:
Went with the Amazon with the intent of redoing it--which was fun, but it's been too difficult to find the right materials to make one exactly the way I want it. However, having gone with the hinge system for a couple of months, I've found that I REALLY like the floating look a lot. However, though I think the hinge system is pretty clever, they didn't get it right on the K2--Amazon ended up adding magnets to the back panel of the DX & the back cover to keep the unit from cracking if it falls forward. No such protection on the K2.
I agree about the hinges. I actually do have the amazon cover now, but I also have a bad habit of picking it up upside down so that the Kindle swings forward when I try to open it, so I'm also afraid of cracking the plastic. Hmmm, maybe I could just add a couple of loops like the guy on T&T.....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
EGH.. wow that is pretty.. you should sell those.. I would totally buy one!

I love my Oberons.. they are my favorite but I do have a couple of the Medge platforms and executives.. I dont like the executives as well due to that space they leave for a light they can't seem to manufacturer.. Oberons hands down for me

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Patrizia said:
EGH.. wow that is pretty.. you should sell those.. I would totally buy one!

I love my Oberons.. they are my favorite but I do have a couple of the Medge platforms and executives.. I dont like the executives as well due to that space they leave for a light they can't seem to manufacturer.. Oberons hands down for me
Patrizia: I got mine from Sanveann who made one for me. She also made one for some one else. Check out her tutorial, and maybe if you ask nicely she will make one for you. She was great to work with! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
great I will that is gorgeous and sooo feminine!!  can you post inside photos too??

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
oh I don't have an amazon cover... but I love this.. I just emailed her.. I just love how feminine this looks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts