Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Kindle owner since July 08 and my husband took the plunge yesterday and ordered Kindle 2.  Amazon already zeroed my gift card balance before showing the remaining cost of his K2 to the one-click credit card.  How have other multiple-kindle accounts handled buying?  Also, I see the advantage to keeping them both on one account so we can "share" books, but does that mean he will start out with a 21 page Content Manager and 3 pages on the Home Screen of "my" books waiting to be read?  On the upside, does that mean any non-Amazon purchases he makes can be transferred to an SD card thru my K1?  I wish there was a way for them to be on the same account with different payment methods for each but I don't think this is an option. 

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Each book is transferred to each Kindle individually. My Kindle has eight pages of reading materials, my husband's has two.

Any NON-DRMd purchases he makes from other websites can be opened on your Kindle. If he purchases books with DRM on them, they will only open on his Kindle.

You can change your One-Click payment option prior to buying any Kindle books from Amazon. You need to log into your account, then choose Manage Your Kindle, the option to change the payment method is about midway down the screen.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Yes...to follow up on Pidgeon....Amazon will always draw from your gift certificate balance first, unless you choose otherwise. You can put different credit cards on the account but you need to select the desired one before you buy something to have the charge go to the right place. Do you have a credit card you share with your husband that you could put it on the account?

L

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info - I thought I understood the multiple k's on one account better than I apparently do.  I can see on the drop-down under one-click whether to send it to one kindle or the other when you make the initial purchase - so if we both want to read the book, we have to go to manage your kindle on-line to get it to the other?  And if we want to purchase with 2 different accounts (he wants to use a debit rather than credit card and I use coinstar e-certificates) we have to sign in differently but being on the same account will always take from my coinstar certificates first?  Making sure I understand this before his K arrives is making me feel dumb!  I have never bothered to have a separate log-in, it was just a "household" Amazon account under his name.  Live and learn. 

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Actually, the Content Manager will show the same list on both Kindles (if you show books at Amazon).  You can download them from there.  On K2, it is under "Archive" instead of "Content Manager", I understand.  You can either "push" the download of a book from your pc, or "pull" it from either Kindle.

If you use 2 different accounts, each Kindle can only see those Amazon books, and you cannot share.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
My mom and I share an account. My mom just sends me gift cards that I apply to the balance. If she puts in $25, I put in $25. I use my credit card (visa check card) on file to buy a gift card and then just apply it to my account.

BTW, Many coinstar machines also accept cash. He can always pull cash out of the ATM and use it to buy a certificate.

I have another suggestion. You can read more about it here at this thread:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1908.0.html

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again - I should have asked whether you can have two different payment methods (one for each kindle) on one account.  So, if both home pages are set to the Show Kindle Only sort, they only show the books downloaded to that specific Kindle but the Content Manager will have duplicate lists that lets you transfer to the second Kindle? In looking at my current Content Manager I see where books I have read a sent back to Amazon to get them off my homepage can be transferred back to Kindle but not specific to one or the other or both (I just thought all books purchased from one linked Kindle or the other automatically went to both).  Be patient with me, my brain is not usually this scrambled with a new process.  I don't think the purchases will really be a problem - like luvmy4brats says - we can both put coinstar certificates on the account.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
My daughter and I share an account and each have our own credit card on it. We just change the one click to the card we want to use. We like a lot of the same thing, but not all. You can download only what you want to your Kindle. Works out nicely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts