Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am constantly having to Google terms in some of my books because the majority of them are not in the included dictionary. Does anyone know of a better dictionary with look-up capabilities for my Kindle? Or can I edit an existing one to make it work? Thanks! Mona

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
No suggestions.... I honestly haven't tried it yet. I do, however, have a great dictionary for my iPhone, which I use constantly when I am reading "real"  ;) books. The only drawback was the price, $30. It's the American Heritage Dictionary, I haven't come across a word that has been missing yet. I love the iPhone dictionaries because they will pronounce the word, I never could figure out how to read the pronunciation symbols.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I use the lookup feature quite often and find it adequate for most words. You can also turn on whispernet and it will go online for you to do a lookup from different sources.

How are you finding the lookup dictionary inadequate?

I think it also has a great deal to do with specific books and if the words you are looking up are in fact common words or something made up by the author.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I use the lookup feature quite often and find it adequate for most words. You can also turn on whispernet and it will go online for you to do a lookup from different sources.
Oh, good suggestion! So far the dictionary has been fine for me, but this is a good hint to keep in mind.

L

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read a lot, 2-3 books a week. And I've found some books that use more technical terms come up with nothing found in the dictionary. I do use Google or the Wiktionary to define the terms, but would like a dictionary that is more complete that would perhaps contain some of these terms. I'm not reading technical manuals, just detective stories.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Oops, sorry! It's not the lookup feature that goes out to the web but the search feature.  :-[
If you need to look up something that's not in the dictionary, do a search with the search button and then it will give you all the books your word is in and other options to look it up with.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I have a electronic Franklin dictionary (as well as two other electronic dictionary) that I use and usually have with me when I have my kindle. I usually carry my kindle with my school stuff and among the things I carry to school is an electronic dictionary. Also stuffed one of my electronic dictionaries in my car. The only reasons I carry around my electronic dictionary around is for the hangman game, the spell check, encyclopedia and Thesarusus (also some features I wish the kindle had). I really wish that the Kindle had a thesarusus feature.

I recommend a electronic dictionary if you are like me and need a thesarusus from time to time and are a student. The prices vary from 20$ to a couple hundred dollars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts