Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having difficulty finding a book in Kindle form that she would enjoy. She is a hesitant reader but has enjoyed all of the Sarah Dessen books. She has no interest in Twilight and the sequels. The book needs to be a young adult or adult book. I am hoping that she might pick up more books in kindle form.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
If she likes suspense/scary books, she may like R. L. Stine.  His books can occasionally have some blood in them, though. 

·
Registered
795 Posts
You might try the 'Circle of Three' series by Isobel Bird. It centers around three high school girls who end up being best friends: one is a popular cheerleader type, one a funky artistic type who plays guitar and writes music, and one a real geek. There are 15 books in the series and they really need to be read in order but amazon labels them pretty clearly so you can tell which come first. They are well written and all on kindle. Among other things these books explore the values of pagan spirituality and the importance of being true to your own path whatever it may be, so if you have any problem with that you may not like them....but they are great teen books.

·
Registered
657 Posts
What genre does she like? If she likes scifi I would suggest:

If she likes urban fantasy try this series:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Some young adult books that I loved when I was younger that are along those lines are the Princess Diaries series (Meg Cabot), All-American Girl and its sequel Ready or Not (Meg Cabot), the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series (Ann Brashares), and the Sloppy Firsts series (Megan McCafferty). They are all available in Kindle format.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I fully agree with the Uglies series, what great books. They may be sci-fi in the traditional sense of the world but I feel that their more of a reflection on our society today. My 15 year old who has only read Twilight loved these books as well.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
InkHeart and its sequel InkSpell...supposed to be good. My best friends love them.
The Midnighters Series are good and very different

·
Registered
657 Posts
madrye said:
I fully agree with the Uglies series, what great books. They may be sci-fi in the traditional sense of the world but I feel that their more of a reflection on our society today. My 15 year old who has only read Twilight loved these books as well.
Yep it speaks against the Paris Hilton wannabe girls. While it has a moral that whats inside is more important than looks it is also a great story!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The Legend of Witch Bane is for young adults and adults. The reviews are amazing. I just started it and so far it's awesome. Quite a deal for $.99

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I've read these in the past two years, and loved them all.... There were more young adult books on my list, but they don't seem to be making it to the Kindle very quickly.....

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I wish I could put the covers on here. they look great and more appealling.

Michael Scott's The secrets of the immortal life of Nicholas Flamel - The Alchemyst, The Magician, and in April The Sorceress.
Sylvia

·
Registered
290 Posts
*WOW*

Thanks for those recommendations, pidgeon92 - I'm not a 14-year-old girl (not even close :(), but there are lot of books there that interest me.

My wallet, however, is putting you on "ignore" :D

·
Registered
599 Posts
Ooh, The Book of Dahlia is on my to-read list :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
This is a great young adult book - just get the mobipocket version. It's won tons of awards and is FREE. (creative commons license)

http://craphound.com/littlebrother/download/

What's Little Brother about?
Marcus, a.k.a "w1n5t0n," is only seventeen years old, but he figures he already knows how the system works-and how to work the system. Smart, fast, and wise to the ways of the networked world, he has no trouble outwitting his high school's intrusive but clumsy surveillance systems.

But his whole world changes when he and his friends find themselves caught in the aftermath of a major terrorist attack on San Francisco. In the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus and his crew are apprehended by the Department of Homeland Security and whisked away to a secret prison where they're mercilessly interrogated for days.

When the DHS finally releases them, Marcus discovers that his city has become a police state where every citizen is treated like a potential terrorist. He knows that no one will believe his story, which leaves him only one option: to take down the DHS himself.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
tlrowley said:
My wallet, however, is putting you on "ignore" :D
How rude!

;D

Not all of the books are Young Adult, but none of them are inappropriate for the age group. There were at least a dozen more that I really enjoyed that are not available for the Kindle yet.....

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
When I was 14 I started reading Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes. . . . also Jane Austen and the Bronte's. Oh, and Mary Stewart. . . .

Ann

1 - 20 of 36 Posts