Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I don't actually have my Kindle yet, but I was hoping to start downloading books for it before it gets here (hopefully by the 20th). :)

I hope I don't sound too picky (I'm really open to anything!), but I really want real page-turners. Books that you really just can't put down.

I'm a bit shy to say that most of my favorite books are not literary classics nor artistic masterpieces or anything like that. Here are some of my faves:

1. Harry Potter series
2. The Other Side of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon
3. Tell Me Your Dreams by Sidney Sheldon
4. Memories of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon
5. Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren
6. The New New Thing by Michael Lewis

More criteria/preferences/other info:

1. Mysteries
2. Scary novels (although I've never read one)
3. Not really into sci-fi and fantasy (except for HP, of course)
4. I'm open to other genres that you recommend!
5. Preferably no sexual content
6. I'm 21, just about to graduate from college

Thanks in advance! And I'm sorry if my criteria is a bit too specific. It's just that I really want the first few books I read after my long reading hiatus (haven't really had a lot of time to read lately) to be great! :)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Melissa- Don't forget to check out the Free Book thread too. Even if you don't think they are your cup of tea, at least you will have books on your Kindle and you can check them out free of charge! You never know what may strike your fancy. Kindle has opened up new worlds for a lot of people here.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
This criteria puzzles me.

That being said, you might check out John Grisham.
She might be like my roommate, and previous roommate, who both go into PTSD mode when I mention the movie Gremlins. Some people just can't handle scary stuff.

That being said, I don't really have anything I can offer as a recommendation, since most of the things you said you were against are what I'm into.

Although you might want to read The Secret Garden or The Little Lame Prince if you haven't already. Both children's stories but very enjoyable and free to boot. (The descripions on Munseys are a little off though...)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Don't be shy about reading other than classics. Nora Roberts needs to send her kids to college, too, so buying her books is really a public service.

Nothing has ever replaced HP for me. It's in a class by itself.

As for mysteries, you can't go wrong with the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. The first three books in this series (14 at last count) are available under one title.

Hilarious, laugh out loud funny, minimal sex.

B

·
0 Posts
Mikuto said:
She might be like my roommate, and previous roommate, who both go into PTSD mode when I mention the movie Gremlins. Some people just can't handle scary stuff.
Yeah, but she's asking for scary books, despite never having read one. ???

·
Registered
788 Posts
Oh well then I misread things completely.

I suppose Stephen King should be recommended then? There's not a LOT of sex in most of his books....

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
How about classic scary, like Edgar Allen Poe? I remember the first time I read the Tell-Tale Heart. Yikes! No sex in that one...

L

B

·
0 Posts
Mikuto said:
Oh well then I misread things completely.

I suppose Stephen King should be recommended then? There's not a LOT of sex in most of his books....
But there's some in almost all of them. Because, you know, real people have sex.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Oh Edgar Allen Poe is wonderful. Personally I like The Masque of the Red Death and The Cask of Amontillado

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bacardi Jim said:
Yeah, but she's asking for scary books, despite never having read one. ???
Yeah, it is a genre that I do want to try out though. I don't see the harm in asking for a recommendation in a genre that I've never tried. :p

·
Registered
788 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
But there's some in almost all of them. Because, you know, real people have sex.
Well, yes. But apparently not everyone wants to read about it. (Baffling I know @[email protected])

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Melissa said:
Any in particular that you'd recommend? Perhaps one that is not too heavy on the legal side.
The Firm is his first second and his best. Unfortunately, none of John Grisham's books are available on the Kindle, just like there are no Harry Potters. The authors don't want ebooks out there for reasons that don't make alot of sense to me.

L

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gertiekindle said:
Don't be shy about reading other than classics. Nora Roberts needs to send her kids to college, too, so buying her books is really a public service.

Nothing has ever replaced HP for me. It's in a class by itself.

As for mysteries, you can't go wrong with the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. The first three books in this series (14 at last count) are available under one title.

Hilarious, laugh out loud funny, minimal sex.
Okay, this sounds interesting. I'll look into this series. I am a bit skeptical about books that have multiple novels in one, but I will definitely try at least one of these. Thank you! :)

B

·
0 Posts
^^^ I didn't realize there was no Grisham on Kindle.  It just seemed like a "safe" recommendation.  Sorry.  :-[

·
Registered
377 Posts
Leslie said:
The Firm is his first and his best. Unfortunately, none of John Grisham's books are available on the Kindle, just like there are no Harry Potters. The authors don't want ebooks out there for reasons that don't make alot of sense to me.

L
Actually, The Firm was his second book, but it was his first big hit. He wrote A Time to Kill first, but it wasn't very popular until after The Firm became such a hit.

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
Melissa, if you haven't already, go to the sticky thread called "Book Lovers Links"  (It's the bottom "pinned" thread in the Book Corner).  There are a ton of sites listed that have free books in multiple formats so you can start downloading them so they'll be ready when your Kindle comes.

I'd second Poe for scary without too much gore. . .it's psychological.  I'm thinking you want 'thriller' and not 'horror'.  You'll find classic gothics like Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights for free.  And some of the sites in the Book Lover thread lets you put in an author you've liked and find other books that you might also like.

Enjoy!

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Mikuto said:
Oh Edgar Allen Poe is wonderful. Personally I like The Masque of the Red Death and The Cask of Amontillado
I just checked my feedbooks catalog and both of these are there, along with The Tell-Tale Heart, The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar (another one of my favorites) and tons of other stuff written by Poe. Melissa, you can be kept busy for hours and they are all free!

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
sandypeach said:
Actually, The Firm was his second book, but it was his first big hit. He wrote A Time to Kill first, but it wasn't very popular until after The Firm became such a hit.
Yes, I stand corrected. I never remember A Time to Kill because I never managed to finish it!

L

1 - 20 of 40 Posts