Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm playing with the cover again before the paperback goes live. I need your advice. Which one do you prefer (the one with the character is a mock-up, so it's not completely cleaned up yet -- I'm just trying to take a straw poll before I buy any more artwork. Any preferences? Advice?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I got the images inserted into the post (yay!) but they're huge (sorry about that).

I don't mean to put obnoxiously huge graphics into my post, I just don't know how to scale them down.

Learning curve. Argh.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
So I downloaded your sample to get a feel for the book. The good news is that so far I love your writing, and bc of the sample I went ahead and bought the book; the less good news is that I don't think this cover art matches the narrative tone at all. It doesn't seem...as smart. Or as fun. I don't know if that makes sense? Also I don't mean to insult whoever did the art, but I'm trying to give you an honest assessment. If all I had to gone on was the cover (and that will probs be most people for a little while, right?), I dont think I would have clicked "Buy now." (But I'm glad I did!) This is probably the exact opposite of what you want to hear, but I would start from scratch.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I totally agree with Genevieve

Neither option really work for me but if I had to chose I'd go with the second option just because the girl is a completely different illustrating style and does not fit at all with the rest of the scene. Where she is smooth and crisp the rest of the scene is gritty and perhaps more hand drawn.

Also, the bright red of the title (and the font as well) don't add anything positive to the overall design or the layout of the cover.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yeah i support the above suggestions to start again.
Can the title be shorter ? For example "Aunt Tilly is dead " ? or " Aunt Tilly your Dead "
The present title is too long to me

Facebook started out as " The Facebook "  until the "the" was deleted.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think both these have their merits; the first one would get my vote, marginally, but you should probably think about paying a professional. Remember that many readers will, unfortunately, judge your book by its cover before they buy it.

Best wishes
Ian

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, all! I think the universe heard you, because today, I got a call from a friend I haven't heard from in awhile, and he's reading the book. He reminded me that he's a graphic artist and offered to do a cover for me. Thank goodness. Because I massively needed help!

I did the cover art myself, but I'm not an artist. Not even close. So this was the best I could do. I was trying to keep the occult/paranormal heart of the book and still make it fun, since that's the tone of the book. But, ummmm, yeah. You can see how well it didn't work! LOL!

However, my amateur cover art attempts aside, I'm so glad you're enjoying the book, Genevieve!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Sophrosyne said:
Thank you, all! I think the universe heard you, because today, I got a call from a friend I haven't heard from in awhile, and he's reading the book. He reminded me that he's a graphic artist and offered to do a cover for me. Thank goodness. Because I massively needed help!

I did the cover art myself, but I'm not an artist. Not even close. So this was the best I could do. I was trying to keep the occult/paranormal heart of the book and still make it fun, since that's the tone of the book. But, ummmm, yeah. You can see how well it didn't work! LOL!

However, my amateur cover art attempts aside, I'm so glad you're enjoying the book, Genevieve!
Hey, I'm glad you wrote it. Keep on keepin on, as they say.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Sophrosyne said:

Aw that's good. Maybe he can take your original ideas and work something up for you :)

·
Registered
901 Posts
ilyria_moon said:
I prefer the first one, but I'm not sure about the font type or the red title. The type works for your name.
I didn't read the sample, so I can't comment on how well it matches the content, as others have above.

If I were categorizing the book based SOLELY on the cover, I would assume young-adult fiction, with an audience of 12-16 years old. I wouldn't buy it because I want something more my speed as an adult.

If you really are aiming at the young-adult genre, I would go with the first cover. Having the girl in the scene makes it more interesting. But I also agree with Ilyria about the font color. I'm color-blind, and the red on the dim background (when you reduce the image to postage-stamp size) will all-but-vanish for me. It will also be hard to read on a black-and-white surface such as the kindle, even for non-color-blind people. Give the title a bit of a brighter hue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts