Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I want to get the Creek Bed Maple in saddle for my kindle 1 (I got the garden of giverny skin), and my kindle 2 has the black and white fleur skin. Now I don't know if I should also get a black oberon cover (I'm thinking of the ROH cover). Do you guys think the oberon covers will look good in black? Give me some ideas please. Thanks!  ;D

PS

At first I didn't like the look of Oberon, but after some (a lot of  ;)) time browsing this forum and looking at the pictures, I started liking them. Not good, now I have to spend more money. Gotta start saving.  :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes, Oberon covers are gorgeous in basic black!

Below are two different Bold Celtic Knot in black:

Mine:

Fed's:

I know another member has the dragon in black, I'll see if I can find the photo.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Gwen10. I wonder if ROH would look good in black.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to mention that I'm planning on getting the large oberon journal for my kindle 2 (since I have the amazon w/ hinge cover). That's why I was wondering if ROH would look good in black. Sorry.  :)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I think the black oberons are probably the most elegant ones they make.  I have the smaller journal in Celtic Diamond in black, and the detail is much clearer than I'd expect for a dark cover.  I don't think you can go wrong in picking the ROH journal in that color.

But then again, you probably can't go wrong with any of them. ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
libros_lego said:
I forgot to mention that I'm planning on getting the large oberon journal for my kindle 2 (since I have the amazon w/ hinge cover). That's why I was wondering if ROH would look good in black. Sorry. :)
I would love to see ROH in black! I bet it would be gorgeous! Let us know if you order so we can look forward to pics! ;D

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know if this will help with black, but it's a trick I used when shopping for a checkbook cover. I downloaded the image of the cover design, which was in purple. Then I used my photo-editing software (iPhoto on the iMac in my case) and played around with the tint, saturation, etc., tools till I turned it into the red I wanted. Worked like a charm and gave me a great idea of what the cover looked like in that color. I tried it with green, too, but I don't know if black would just wipe out the design in the image.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I emailed Oberon and asked if they have a picture of a black ROH and this was their reply: "I’m afraid we don’t have a picture of the roof of heaven in black. I will say though that it’s a very graphically dense image and you wouldn’t be able to see much of the detail in black.  Thanks for contacting us. Becca"

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
WARNING--NOT AN ACTUAL PICTURE OF ROH IN BLACK! :)

I took the K2 image from their site, desaturated & added contrast until the black was at about the same density as my Celtic Diamond cover (in real life, incandescent light). It would probably be a bit darker in real life, there's only so much you can do with digital screens to reflect the full color spectrum, and the contrast/lighting on the professional image has probably tweaked significantly to show the detail. But I'm betting this wouldn't be too far off:

I haven't done a good closeup of Celtic Diamond at this point, but I can say that it's definitely a "graphically dense" cover as well, and the detail in black shows just fine, even though the tooling is much shallower than what's on my dragonfly pond cover (also shown).

(picture taken in filtered natural light)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much VictoriaP. Yes, I was also thinking of the black celtic diamond ever since I saw a picture of your journal. The black ROH actually looks good. Hmm... ???

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Vegas_Asian (Experiment#305) said:
I shouldn't have looked. its so tempting
I have that problem regularly in this place! :D I'm trying to decide on my next cover too, and none of this helps.

I do think Celtic Diamond in black is about as classic a cover as you're going to get while still sticking with Oberon. I think while ROH in black would certainly be more subtle than it is in say, purple or even saddle, it's going to show more of a creative, unique streak than the Celtic Diamond one does.

Which way you go, therefore, probably depends on your personality. I picked up the journal as a good deal on ebay to try & satisfy my need for more Oberon without buying another cover (didn't work, BTW), so I had no real say in color or design. But I do find it to be a much more elegant, sophisticated piece than my K2 cover. And black, of course, goes with everything!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.