Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this cover. I thought it was just what I wanted for the first cover in a legal thriller series. But I can't see the next books in the series working with it. The gavel looks natural lying on top of the documents, but I can't see any other legal images (scales, courtroom pillars, Blind Lady Justice) working lying there. So I'm back to square one. My goal was to make the cover scream Legal Thriller genre. (I've made covers that missed genre by a country mile and am resolved not to do it again.) I'm planning on using template type font placement and the same fonts etc. But any suggestions for the theme? Thanks.

Font Poster Publication Book Guitar accessory

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Minor suggestion: include a little legal paper to the collage... the numbered kind of paper documents used in legal motions. The gavel, the lettering, and the grey template look good though.

·
Registered
Sea of Two Suns
216 Posts
I think it could use something more. The books blend in. Just some constructive criticism. Maybe lady justice in the background, one big book with the gavel on top rather than a spread of open books. Good luck with this!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Okay, instead of just having plain non specific books, papers, and a gavel how about adding some newspaper headlines about the case in the story, photos of the defendant, the victim, crime scene photos, etc. I could suggest more but you haven't mentioned what the books plot is. But what I'm saying is that, to me, what you have looks very antiseptic and generic legal thriller. There should be more elements specific to the story that your telling and what you have just says "legal thriller" without giving the potential reader any glimpses at what THIS "legal thriller" is about.

Dee

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, instead of just having plain non specific books, papers, and a gavel how about adding some newspaper headlines about the case in the story, photos of the defendant, the victim, crime scene photos, etc. I could suggest more but you haven't mentioned what the books plot is. But what I'm saying is that, to me, what you have looks very antiseptic and generic legal thriller. There should be more elements specific to the story that your telling and what you have just says "legal thriller" without giving the potential reader any glimpses at what THIS "legal thriller" is about.

Dee
Thanks Dee. I was after generic legal thriller and I guess I succeeded. I hear you about adding something to say about what this legal thriller is about.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm no expert, but I read and write in this genre and I think the cover is good, as is. As soon as I see the words "Lawyer," "thriller," and the gavel, I know exactly what I'm getting. You could do this same cover multiple times, just changing colors because every time I see it, it says legal thriller to me.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm no expert, but I read and write in this genre and I think the cover is good, as is. As soon as I see the words "Lawyer," "thriller," and the gavel, I know exactly what I'm getting. You could do this same cover multiple times, just changing colors because every time I see it, it says legal thriller to me.
Thanks cdk. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts