Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Have been lurking for a few days and  loving the site!  Thanks for all that post such great info!

Got my Kindle whos name is Leopardo, and his "skin" came today from DecalGirl but I am having a problem getting the "screensaver" to appear.

I have it loaded ...put it on the F drive when the USB is plugged in...but when I unplug and turn Leopardo on I got as far as the word " screensaver" appearing in the menu...but when I press on it ...Nothing Appears...

Any and all hints and insights will be so appreciated!

Muchos Gracias!
bb & Leopardo

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
There is a thread on changing the screensaver, over in the tricks and hints forum.

I think to have only the one show up (to match your skin) you only install the one picture.

L

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I was able to do it using this info:

Attach the Kindle to a computer using the USB cord.
Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , you should see a new drive called Kindle under My Computer. Go to that drive. (Or if you have an SD card in your Kindle, you can go to the SD drive.)
Create a new folder called “pictures” and a subfolder called “screensavers” under it. Make sure both folder names are all lowercase.
Copy your image files into the screensavers folder. Your pictures should be 600×800 pixels and black & white. I’ve only used .jpg files. (Note: I've used .png files as well)
After copying is complete & it is safe, remove the Kindle from the USB connection.
Go to your Home menu and press alt-z. This will create a new book called “screensavers” . Open it. You’ll see each of your pictures. You can advance through them with the prev. page and next page buttons. (Note: The new book will appear at the END of your book list)
While viewing your pictures, look at the bottom of the Kindle screen. If you see your battery indicator & Menu prompt, press alt-F to go into Full Screen mode.
On each photo, press alt-shift-0 (i.e., alt-shift-zero) . After a brief delay, you’ll get a message that your picture has been exported as screensaver. Click Close on the message.
Navigate to each of the pictures you want to use and repeat the above step.
When you’ve got all your pictures loaded, test them by going into & out of sleep mode. Alt-aA (i.e., alt-font size button) puts it to sleep & wakes it up again. Each time it sleeps, it should use a different image. If you see the same image all the time, relook at Step 3.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
p.s.,
if that is the only picture you put in, then that is all that will appear on the screen...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got as far as having the word screensaver show up

BUT when I then click on that no leopard spots...no nothing

And the leopard spots were all I put on there...

I hope someone can help Leopardo get his spots!

Thanks!
bb and Leopardo

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
did you make the two files, all labeled in lower case letters?
If so, maybe go back and reload the file and try again...?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
It's always frustrating when things don't work.  I love computers when they work and not so much when they don't.  : )
Usually I figure out that I've left some small step out...

Doublecheck that the folder called screensavers is INSIDE the folder called pictures; make sure your new screensaver image is inside the folder called screensavers.

If they are and it still won't work, I would suggest pouring a glass of wine or your other favorite calming beverage and then start over.

Hook your Kindle up via the USB, delete the folders you added already and then work through all the steps below, one at a time.  Print them out and check them off as you do them.

Here are the steps again: quoting Octochick's post, which I think quotes Leslie's FAQs:

1.Attach the Kindle to a computer using the USB cord.

2.Using Windows Explorer (or whatever you use to see individual files/folders) , you should see a new drive called Kindle under My Computer. Go to that drive. (Or if you have an SD card in your Kindle, you can go to the SD drive.)

3. Create a new folder called “pictures” and a subfolder called “screensavers” inside it. Make sure both folder names are all lowercase.

4. Copy your image files into the screensavers folder. Your pictures should be 600×800 pixels and black & white. I’ve only used .jpg files. (Note: I've used .png files as well)

5.After copying is complete & it is safe, remove the Kindle from the USB connection.

6. Go to your Home menu and press alt-z. This will create a new book called “screensavers” . Open it. You’ll see each of your pictures. You can advance through them with the prev. page and next page buttons. (Note: The new book will appear at the END of your book list) While viewing your pictures, look at the bottom of the Kindle screen. If you see your battery indicator & Menu prompt, press alt-F to go into Full Screen mode.

7.  On each photo, press alt-shift-0 (i.e., alt-shift-zero) . After a brief delay, you’ll get a message that your picture has been exported as screensaver. Click Close on the message.  Navigate to each of the pictures you want to use and repeat the above step.

8.  When you’ve got all your pictures loaded, test them by going into & out of sleep mode. Alt-aA (i.e., alt-font size button) puts it to sleep & wakes it up again. Each time it sleeps, it should use a different image. If you see the same image all the time, relook at Step 3.

As I say, usually I find I've left out some little step.  Sleeping on it and then starting over very methodically usually works for me with computer or quilting issues!

Let us know how it goes!!!

Betsy

Betsy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL....Don't ask me how or why or what...

But Leopardo now has his spots!!!

Thanks to each of you who so graciously shared our knowledge and your thoughts!

Muchos Gracias
bb and Leopardo (who is loving his spots!)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
My "screensaver" file has disappeared on my home screen any recommendations
This is the screensaver that came with your skin? Does your home screen have multiple pages? Have you paged through your home screen? Does the screensaver still appear when you push Alt-Aa?

Betsy

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
The screensaver that came with my skin is still working, but my other skin is arriving tomorrow and I am looking for my screensaver file..its not there.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Okay anyone. 

I've just received my decalgirl:  Monet's Waterlillies, but I cannot get it to work. I've reviewed all the stuff written here, but it always turns my brain to mush.  Did I say, I have a i-Mac.  Is this different.  I've created a file that the picture will not go in.  It's sitting on my mainbar line thingy.  It's also in some file that I can't seem to find right now. 

Any help will be much appreciated.

kathy

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Did I say, I have a i-Mac. Is this different.
No. It gets sent to you via email, and if you are using Mail, it will go into your downloads folder.

I've created a file that the picture will not go in. It's sitting on my mainbar line thingy.
What do you mean by file? What you received in your email is a .jpg file. Do you mean a folder? What is the mainbar line thingy? The Apple dock?

It's also in some file that I can't seem to find right now.
Unless you deleted the email, the name of the file is there. Find out what it is and then search for it. The .jpg should really be in your Downloads folder.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thank you Pigeon92

I have found the file.  Now the "my pictures" that is supposed to be in my kindle is not there.

Kathy

1 - 20 of 47 Posts