Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and new to the idea of self publishing. I've found the perfect image for my book cover. Yeah me! Unfortunately, I cannot decide on a font and color for the cover. I know I want to use a font such as "Kings Things Wrote", but every color I try seems to fade into the background. I'm at a loss here. Any ideas you can toss my way would be much appreciated.

Here is my loverly image for "My Soul to Keep"

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
What I do is use a gray box and put the print inside of that. Then it doesn't make any difference how complex the picture is since the print always stands out.

Look at these three book covers to see what I am talking about. You can see that the pictures have a lot of detail. If I had just printed across it, it would have been hard to see.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Can't really help you on the font issue, but just wanted to say welcome! :D

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
You'll need to keep your titling small and it could be white lined in the turquoise of the nails or turquoise lined in white. If you want another colour, plain red (100% of each of CMYK yellow and magenta) will do. The test isn't which you like best but which works at the Amazon thumbnail size.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
The problem is caused because your image is has such high contrast - both light and dark colours disappear depending on where you place the letters.

Turquoise looks quite good though:

White not bad either

I picked a colour from her nails, but you could combine that with some letters in the slightly different blue of the beads. May look very cool!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A gigantic thanks to each and every one of you! You guys are brilliant. I've always loved the idea of using turquoise, but could never seem to make it work. I have to say that David made it look gorgeous.

Ronnell, that purple is wicked! Just wish I knew how to do it.  :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have to agree, the turquoise color that David posted is a good fit. It would be great if you could combine David and Ronnel's idea.

And on a slightly off topic note

Franklin Eddy said:
What I do is use a gray box and put the print inside of that. Then it doesn't make any difference how complex the picture is since the print always stands out.

Look at these three book covers to see what I am talking about. You can see that the pictures have a lot of detail. If I had just printed across it, it would have been hard to see.

I would recommend against gray box technique. None of the covers give me any incentive to see what the books are about. Others might think differently but I would see about redoing them.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
On gray boxes.

kyrin said:
And on a slightly off topic note
Franklin Eddy said:

I would recommend against gray box technique. None of the covers give me any incentive to see what the books are about. Others might think differently but I would see about redoing them.
The only thing those gray boxes have going for them is that they unify the covers in an old-fashioned, telegraph strip paste-up style. I wonder if that is what Franklin wanted? It's definitely a style that can be used to enhance, say, a series of books set in a certain period.

If a gray overlay is to be used to reduce the interference of graphic detail with typographic comprehension, it should be diaphanous (pun intended) as in the sample on the left.

Notice that, though the grey overlay was successful (unobtrusive, aided instant comprehension), at the first opportunity, the title change, I got rid of it by redesigning to create a better background for the text from the natural coloring of the cover graphic, and at the same time grabbed the benefit of showing more bottom.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts