Kindle Forum banner

Need new authors to read

4K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  Betsy the Quilter 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I need you help.  I am running out of authors to read.  I will list below some of the authors I read.  I would like your opinion on what Author I should look at next.  I am mostly into Fiction - Murder Mystery, Medical, etc etc etc

David Baldacci, Vince Flynn, Joesphn Flynn, James Patterson, Harlan Coben, Joesph Finder, Richard Montanari, Charlie Huston, Brad Thor, Tess Gerristen, Michael Connelly, Karin Slaughter, Chelsea Cain,  John Sanford, Brad Metzler, Lisa Gardner.

TY :)

J

#2 ·
Here are a few off the top of my head.

Nelson DeMille, Fredrick Forsyth & Stephen Hunter.

#5 ·
You might take a look at Aimee and David Thurlo
Wife's tastes seem similar to yours and she enjoys these.
Another option might be Lisa Scottoline.

#6 ·
Boyd Morrison, no question. You can get all three of his books for $4.17 and each one is worth that alone. Sadly, he only has three works out not thirty. His books, especially The Ark and The Palmyra Impact, are as gripping page turners as anything out there. Any publisher that locks him in is going to have the next Patterson/Clancy/Grisham writing for them. Your author search will be running again in just a few days as you'll burn through his three in no time. Enjoy.

#7 ·
The early Cornwall (Kay Scarpetta) forensic mysteries are great (something changed in her writing with Black Notice and I haven't enjoyed them since). Another fairly new forensic mystery series is the Body Farm books by Jefferson Bass. The entire Kathy Reichs (Tempe Brennan) starting with Death Du Jour is my favorite forensic mystery series, even better than Cornwall IMHO.

#9 ·
crebel said:
The entire Kathy Reichs (Tempe Brennan) starting with Death Du Jour
Actually, Deja Dead is the first one, for those like me that are anal about starting with the first book of a series. :D

#11 ·
Leslie said:
Have you read any Patricia Cornwell? I think her most recent books are lousy, but the early ones, with the ME detective (blanking on her name) were good.

L
Kay Scarpetta. The early books are really good, I read them all last year or the year before. Like you said though, the recent ones were lousy & more noticeable when you read them back to back and notice errors & weird personality changes. The very last one, Scarpetta, was okay though and almost back to form. But that gives, what? about a dozen of early ones that are well worth reading.

#15 ·
For action type novels, I recommend- Clive Cussler (especially earlier than 5 years ago). Jack DuBrol; Michael DiMercurio (submarines), Richard Henrick (subs), Bart davis (subs), Patrick Robinson (naval thrillers);  Also, two older classic writers- James Clavell (Tai Pan, Noble House), and Wilbur Smith.

#17 ·
go to literature-map.com, when you put in the name of an author you like it brings up lots of authors with similar styles. the closer to your authors name, the more similar that author is supposed to be. some of their choices are interesting, and i'm not always sure that i would put them together, but any source for new authors is good to know. ;D

#22 ·
Robert B Parker?  His Spenser series and the Jesse Stone series are both excellent - haven't read the Sunny Parker series but it's supposed to be very good as well.

Sue Grafton - the Kinsey Milhone series.

Nancy Pickard - not as many books in her series but they were all good.

I highly suggest John D. McDonald's Travis McGee series, but they aren't on Kindle.  Fabulous books, though.

#26 ·
additional mystery/thriller authors to check out are:

Nick Stone - Max Mingus books. Has only pub two, the second came out last fall

Cody McFadyen - MC= Smoky Barrett, head of FBI's violent crimes unit in Los Angeles - has three books out.

George D. Shuman - MC=Sherry Moore - a blind women with the "ability to view the final living minutes of any dead body she encounters"

There is also Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. His new Reacher book is being released Tuesday, but for those who read in order, there is a serious back list of Reacher books. For me, after reading the first two, the rest of the series can be read out of order without being lost.

John Connolly has a series with Charlie "Bird" Parker as his MC. (Connolly also has a few standalones). The Parker series is very intense with a little supernatural.

Dennis Lehane's early Patrick an Angie books were great. Not a fan once he started writing stand alones like Mystic River and Shutter Island.

and one last suggestion is Michele Martinez. Mc= Federal Prosecutor Melanie Vargas. Set in Manhattan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.