Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, most of my stories in my Daddy Substitute series are between 3,500 to 7,500 words.  Now I've hit Daddy Substitute 7 and it is a whopping 15,000+ words!  There's just a lot of story points to cover before it gets to the juicy piece where everything culminates for that specific chapter/episode.

My price pt is $2.99 for all of my stories except for the first one in the Daddy Substitute series. Now, as I sit here slogging away at the editing for this monster of a "short story" (Daddy Substitute 7), I am more and more tempted to set it at a higher price point.

Any thoughts???  Just a note, the series has moved more from erotica toward erotic romance and #7 represents that change the most to date.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I think you'd be pushing it to go higher than $2.99 for 15K words, but you can try and then drop it down if it doesn't work out.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AndreSanThomas said:
I think you'd be pushing it to go higher than $2.99 for 15K words, but you can try and then drop it down if it doesn't work out.
That's how I was feeling about it -- that I'd be pushing it a bit and would look kinda greedy. I know there are novels set permanently at 99 cents so I don't feel justified on that regard. But, given that it's 2 to 3 times as long as my other pieces and is taking longer to get out the door, it feels so tempting. Sigh...

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
If your readers accept paying $2.99 for 3-7k, then I don't imagine they would complain about paying $3.99 for twice as much. 

I also try to take the amount of erotic scenes into consideration when pricing.  I may write one story at 7k, and another at 12k, but if they both have only one erotic scene, with the 12k having more buildup, I may consider pricing them both the same.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
swolf said:
If your readers accept paying $2.99 for 3-7k, then I don't imagine they would complain about paying $3.99 for twice as much.

I also try to take the amount of erotic scenes into consideration when pricing. I may write one story at 7k, and another at 12k, but if they both have only one erotic scene, with the 12k having more buildup, I may consider pricing them both the same.
Yes, this story has a Lot of story to it with the erotica scene tucked in at the end. It's got some kink to it but as far as good ol' heat between the sheets go, it's a bit on the light side.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SEAN H. ROBERTSON said:
I agree with Andre. Way to go, Ada! I wish you a million new sales. ;D
Sigh... a million sales. *dreamy eyes*

I figured out how many sales per month I would need to be able to quite my day job. It's A Lot! But!!! A million sales would do it!

Thanks, Sean! ;D

·
Registered
73 Posts
"Mittens" is around 25k - I haven't seen any difference in pricing it at 99c vs $1.99, but my sales are low enough that there's a big error margin.

Personally I'm getting the vibe that people are tired of 99c low-quality books, and are starting to favour paying more for quality.  So by all means, raise prices; the 99c market is already overflowing. :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FeatherWatt said:
"Mittens" is around 25k - I haven't seen any difference in pricing it at 99c vs $1.99, but my sales are low enough that there's a big error margin.

Personally I'm getting the vibe that people are tired of 99c low-quality books, and are starting to favour paying more for quality. So by all means, raise prices; the 99c market is already overflowing. :)
I've "heard" many people on here say that they did better at the $2.99 price point than they did at the $0.99 price. I think it's for just the reason you stated -- people are associating the higher cost with greater chance to get quality. With erotica, it's already part of the genre expectation that the prices are common at $2.99 so I don't sweat pricing that high. I was considering going up to $3.99 with the 15,000+ word story.

I'd really recommend you trying out $2.99 and see how it works for you. Even if you get fewer sales, you will probably make more money since you'll be able to go with the 70% royalties instead of the 35% royalty rate.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I price my 6k shorts under my pen name at 2.99. If I broke 10k, you bet I'd charge more!  :p

As you probably know, erotica tends to command higher prices. You say yours is moving toward erom, but still. It's book 7. By now your readers are invested, and an extra dollar probably isn't going to break the bank for twice as much story. Actually,  I would mention that in your blurb. Mention that it's twice as long and readers are saving 2 bucks as opposed to it being broken up into two further installments.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I don't go above $2.99 unless I break 40K.

Most of my stories are 10-20K and $2.99.

The first story of each series is 4-6K and either free or 99 cents.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ada O'Flaherty said:
I'd really recommend you trying out $2.99 and see how it works for you. Even if you get fewer sales, you will probably make more money since you'll be able to go with the 70% royalties instead of the 35% royalty rate.
All right then, I just changed my price up to $2.99. We'll see what happens. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
You might just be pricing yourself out of the market if you go over 2.99 for a story that is still only 15k; plenty of lengthier erotica out there for 2.99

Of course, if you already have a dedicated audience who gladly pay that much for a story much shorter then you just might get away with it. :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hildred said:
I price my 6k shorts under my pen name at 2.99. If I broke 10k, you bet I'd charge more! :p

As you probably know, erotica tends to command higher prices. You say yours is moving toward erom, but still. It's book 7. By now your readers are invested, and an extra dollar probably isn't going to break the bank for twice as much story. Actually, I would mention that in your blurb. Mention that it's twice as long and readers are saving 2 bucks as opposed to it being broken up into two further installments.
I am definitely tempted. I think I will give it a try.

TexasGirl said:
I don't go above $2.99 unless I break 40K.

Most of my stories are 10-20K and $2.99.

The first story of each series is 4-6K and either free or 99 cents.
I do agree that erotica has set a in-genre price pt that runs higher. There could be more tolerance for it. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
S. Shine said:
You might just be pricing yourself out of the market if you go over 2.99 for a story that is still only 15k; plenty of lengthier erotica out there for 2.99

Of course, if you already have a dedicated audience who gladly pay that much for a story much shorter then you just might get away with it. :)
This is why I asked for guidance. I figured if I set it at $3.99 and only got a very few sales, I could alienate people when I drop the price. Of course, if they are like me, they don't exactly go back to a book and go hey.. I wonder what the price is now. So, maybe that part isn't something I should overly worry about.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
S. Shine said:

I'm of a similar mindset, charging $0.99 for under 10k, and $2.99 for 10k-20k.

However, I know some erotica authors who charge $2.99 at the low end and going up from there, and have reported making a crapload of money. So who knows what the right answer is?

·
Registered
728 Posts
swolf said:
I'm of a similar mindset, charging $0.99 for under 10k, and $2.99 for 10k-20k.

However, I know some erotica authors who charge $2.99 at the low end and going up from there, and have reported making a crapload of money. So who knows what the right answer is?
I think a lot of it has to do with niche and kink. The nichier and kinkier your works, the more you can usually charge without seeing a huge drop in sales.

Ada I would also try the 3.99 price point if you want to, and go from there. Perhaps you could drop the price on an earlier installment to compensate and see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts