Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you're into fantasy I would suggest Piers Anthony's A Spell for Chameleon

Very light, full of puns young-adultish sort of reading.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
If you like mysteries, or more like comedic/bounty hunter, you can't miss with Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. You can get the first three books all in one.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the recommendations.  It looks like I might be finding some new answers.  Sci Fi and Mysteries are two of my favorite genres and A Red Bird Christmas looks great.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
imallbs said:
Thanks for the recommendations. It looks like I might be finding some new answers. Sci Fi and Mysteries are two of my favorite genres and A Red Bird Christmas looks great.
Enjoy and let us know what you think when you finish.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Two of the books that are currently free, Free Range Chickens by Simon Rich and The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death by Laurie Notaro are supposed to be funny. I haven't read either one but at a price of $0.00, if you don't like them, you haven't lost anything.

L

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
marianner said:
You may have already read this one (it's on the bargain book thread), but Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married by Marian Keyes is only $0.24, has 4 stars, and sounds like it would fit the bill for light reading.
Marion Keyes has written several of these novels, all based on the same group of sisters. They are fun reads.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Ahem. [Scuffs the dirt]. Since sci-fi is one of your genres, might I suggest Distant Cousin? OK, I wrote it, but quite a few members here have enjoyed it. You could try the sample for nothing. It's going to be a bookklub item early next year, I hear. You could ask other members, too. Linda Cannon-Mott liked it.

For that matter, In Her Name, by KreelanWarrior, also a member, comes well recommended.

Both are light, though I think his is heavier than mine, at least in dtb form.

Just a thought.

/////Al aka BrassMan

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
BrassMan said:
Ahem. [Scuffs the dirt]. Since sci-fi is one of your genres, might I suggest Distant Cousin? OK, I wrote it, but quite a few members here have enjoyed it. You could try the sample for nothing. It's going to be a bookklub item early next year, I hear. You could ask other members, too. Linda Cannon-Mott liked it.

For that matter, In Her Name, by KreelanWarrior, also a member, comes well recommended.

Both are light, though I think his is heavier than mine, at least in dtb form.

Just a thought.

/////Al aka BrassMan
Liked it, I loved it. It was a 5 star read for me and I can't wait to read KW's. Both of these guys have graciously agreed to lead bookklubs on their books. We are very excited! KW's starts in Feb and Al's in Mar. Join us!

Links to both books are in The Book Corner/ Bookclub Thread.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I've posted this before in another thread, but it fits here too. Even though it's a true story, it's also an extremely fun, light read.

Catch Me If You Can
By Frank W. Abagnale and Stan Redding

Price: $2.95

Description: In the space of five years, Frank Abagnale passed $2.5 million in fraudulent checks in every state and 26 foreign countries. He did it by pioneering implausible and brazen scams, such as impersonating a Pan Am pilot (puddle jumping around the world in the cockpit, even taking over the controls). He also played the role of a pediatrician and faked his way into the position of temporary resident supervisor at a hospital in Georgia. Posing as a lawyer, he conned his way into a position in a state attorney general's office, and he taught a semester of college-level sociology with a purloined degree from Columbia University.

The kicker is, he was actually a teenage high school dropout. Now an authority on counterfeiting and secure documents, Abagnale tells of his years of impersonations, swindles, and felonies with humor and the kind of confidence that enabled him to pull off his poseur performances. "Modesty is not one of my virtues. At the time, virtue was not one of my virtues," he writes.

Review Excerpt: I really enjoyed the movie, but I did not believe any of it. How could a 16 year old pull off all these scams posing successfully as an airline pilot, lawyer, doctor, and FBI agent. Only in Hollywood! I had to read the book to uncover the truth. To my amazement, almost nothing in the movie was dramatized. Frank Abagnale did it all. And, this even includes the acrobatic escape from a commercial plane as it lands.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like I've got some great reading ahead of me.  All these recommendations look great.  Thank you all for your suggestions.  I've started looking through the samples I've downloaded - I can't wait to get started. Thank you

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mikuto said:
If you're into fantasy I would suggest Piers Anthony's A Spell for Chameleon

Very light, full of puns young-adultish sort of reading.
I love his Xanthe series!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts