Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone... I'm new here, and I have a few questions concerning the Kindle 1...

Ok see I want to get a Kindle 1 and for the right price... Amazon is currently selling Kindle 1 under the refurbished deals for  $299.99... I was just wondering if I should buy it... Are the refurbished units like new? Has anyone from this board bought one? Please give me some reviews :) Also does the refurbished ones come with a 1 year warranty? Also how do I get the Square Trade Warranty for my Kindle 1 once I get it?

I also was thinking about getting a Kindle 1 on E Bay... If anyone knows any good and trusted sellers please post the links to them in this topic... Thanks in Advance! :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My first K1 ended up with freezing issues so it went back to amazon, they sent me back a refurb for replacement. It's worked better than the never before used original one.  Refurbished is just one that was returned for either an issue or someone changed their mind within the 30 day period and Amazon can not sell them for new.  I think they go through more tests then the first new ones that come out so they are better. Also from Amazon you still get a nice warranty if anything goes wrong.

Hope this helps, and welcome to kindleboards!!!!

theresam

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
MagicalWingLT said:
Hello everyone... I'm new here, and I have a few questions concerning the Kindle 1...

Ok see I want to get a Kindle 1 and for the right price... Amazon is currently selling Kindle 1 under the refurbished deals for $299.99... I was just wondering if I should buy it... Are the refurbished units like new? Has anyone from this board bought one? Please give me some reviews :) Also does the refurbished ones come with a 1 year warranty? Also how do I get the Square Trade Warranty for my Kindle 1 once I get it?

I also was thinking about getting a Kindle 1 on E Bay... If anyone knows any good and trusted sellers please post the links to them in this topic... Thanks in Advance! :)
Welcome. I'm not sure what the warranty or if you can get the Square Trade Warranty for it. The price sounds right for it. Also, you can watch the Buy, Sell and Trade section. There are K1s being posted there as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a K1 I am going to put on Ebay.  It's in excellent condition.  I've had it skinned.  Took the skin off it and no wear on it whatsoever.  I have all the original packaging.  The original case is new for it was never used.  I am in the process of resetting the screen saver.  If you want to barter for this one, it would save both of us time and heartache.  I can send you pics as well.  I'd be willing to sell it for $250 plus shipping.  I've upgraded to K2.  That's why I am selling it.  I can also leave on about 90 books.  Mostly mystery and chick lit books.

·
Registered
136 Posts
MagicalWingLT said:

Ok see I want to get a Kindle 1 and for the right price... Amazon is currently selling Kindle 1 under the refurbished deals for $299.99... I was just wondering if I should buy it... Are the refurbished units like new? Has anyone from this board bought one? Please give me some reviews :) Also does the refurbished ones come with a 1 year warranty? Also how do I get the Square Trade Warranty for my Kindle 1 once I get it?

I went up on Craigslist when K2 came out and got a K1 for $125. It is perfect and works great. Not sure if you could get that good a deal, but I wouldn't pay over $200 for a K1 - look around on Craigslist and Ebay. Any K1 will have a 1-year warranty from the time it was purchased, even if you buy it used, and any books on it will remain if owner doesn't remove them.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Teach142 said:
I have a K1 I am going to put on Ebay. It's in excellent condition. I've had it skinned. Took the skin off it and no wear on it whatsoever. I have all the original packaging. The original case is new for it was never used. I am in the process of resetting the screen saver. If you want to barter for this one, it would save both of us time and heartache. I can send you pics as well. I'd be willing to sell it for $250 plus shipping. I've upgraded to K2. That's why I am selling it. I can also leave on about 90 books. Mostly mystery and chick lit books.
This would be a good idea, you would get the benefit of a library as well.

FYI.. Teach, I thought of one other thing about the screensaver. I posted in the other thread.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now I'm just in the process of collecting some info... I can't buy one right now as I still have to save up some money... I'll be buying one sometime in June... And at that time when I get one I need a 1 year warranty for it...

EDIT: I tried CraigsList in my area for a Kindle 1... I only saw a few up on there for around $300.00... Also I don't trust CraigsList as there are many scams on that site... I fear that if I sent my payment I would never get my Kindle... Honestly I've been looking on E Bay, Amazon, and CraigsList for general pricing and it's around $300-350.00 for Kindle 1... I haven't seen any around $150.00 for Buy It Now Option on E Bay...

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
MagicalWingLT said:
Right now I'm just in the process of collecting some info... I can't buy one right now as I still have to save up some money... I'll be buying one sometime in June... And at that time when I get one I need a 1 year warranty for it...
Not sure you will be able to get a 1 year warranty. I'm not sure that is even offered with refurbs from Amazon.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
MagicalWingLT said:
Then it's kinda impossible for me to get a Kindle 1... I mean I don't want to pay around $150-$300 on the Kindle and then it breaks in a few months... I would be heartbroken if it happens...
I am not sure what Amazon's policy is. I think with square trade it has to be a new item. I just bought the square trade warranty with my new K2 and I don't think there was an option on for refrubs. There are a lot of K1s out there that are still under warranty, but most will end by November when they quit shipping new K1s. I would check with Amazon and see if they are going to offer a 1 year warranty for refurbs. I know how you feel. It might be better for you to wait and get the K2 so that you can get the 1 year warranty and then purchase an extended warranty with square trade or Amazon.

·
Registered
921 Posts
MagicalWingLT said:

EDIT: I tried CraigsList in my area for a Kindle 1... I only saw a few up on there for around $300.00... Also I don't trust CraigsList as there are many scams on that site... I fear that if I sent my payment I would never get my Kindle... Honestly I've been looking on E Bay, Amazon, and CraigsList for general pricing and it's around $300-350.00 for Kindle 1... I haven't seen any around $150.00 for Buy It Now Option on E Bay...
You may want to call Amazon and see what they say about the warranty. That way you get it right from the horse's mouth. Hope you find what you want.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For anyone interested...  I am selling my K1.  Upgrading to K2.  I haven't had one problem with it.  It is in excellent condition.  No wear.  I just called amazon and did a factory reset.  I am asking $250 plus shipping.  All original packaging and accessories(I even have the amazon box it was shipped in).  I'm even adding a screen saver.  Original cover is brand new as I used an M Edge.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking about getting the Kindle 2... But then I found out that the user can't replace the battery and that it costs around $80.00 or more for the replacement which is insane... It also doesn't have a SD Slot... And you can't jump to chapters that you want to read... You have to manually keep taping the Next Page button to get to the chapter... By then you'll have a low battery charge... If the chapter you want is near the end of a 400-500 page book...

·
Registered
921 Posts
If the chapter is numbered, all you have to do is type the number and hit the find and it will come up in the search.  Select the location and enter and your there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
MagicalWingLT said:

I was lucky and hit the window of opportunity right after K2 came out - there were lots of K1 owners wanting to sell and upgrade. Prices were $150-200.

The best is to use Craigslist locally so you can inspect the K1 before buying. I had a demo of the K1, and also looked at the seller and he seemed upstanding (his wife was an author who had a book on his Kindle).

I would not consider a used K1 for $300-350 - way overpriced. Get a K2 if you can spend that kind of money. Keep looking and good fortune may follow. You won't get a 1-year warranty with a used Kindle. Maybe some months, but no more.

·
Registered
136 Posts
kevin63 said:
If the chapter is numbered, all you have to do is type the number and hit the find and it will come up in the search. Select the location and enter and your there.
Could you explain this? Do you mean search for a # in search? Won't that search the entire Kindle and come up with hundreds of entries?

·
Registered
921 Posts
skanter said:
Could you explain this? Do you mean search for a # in search? Won't that search the entire Kindle and come up with hundreds of entries?
I did the search in the book that I had opened. I typed the number 2 in and it gave me three choices, one of them was chapter 2 of that book. I chose that one and it took me to that location.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts