Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have gone thru Percy, Sookie, Raines Benares, the Ingo series, The Walker Papers and Graceling just so you know what I like.
I hated Morganville Vamps, Tales of an Urban Werewolf and that other werewolf series set in Australia. To be honest, I prefer wizard, fairies and magic not set in our world.

Amazon makes it hard to find anything other than the top sellers and sorting the Kindle Fantasy by release date is soooo not helpful. I'm looking to find those really good books that are probably sitting 200 pages into the bestselling list. Just in case you need a couple that I've already found, lets trade.

Here are some of mine.
One part of society embraces magic and can only live in the light, the other part shuns magic and can only live in the darkness. Set in a Regency England type of society, this story came from a very different direction than I'd come across. I'm still on the fence, but fascinated. It may just degenerate into a Regency tale with some magic, but so far it hasn't.
Got this one for the cool cover. YA Fantasy and I enjoyed it. Slightly different take on fairies
I seem to have more luck with YA Fantasy these days. I probably won't spring for the sequel, but enjoyed this anyway.
This book cracked me up; another YA Fantasy

Okay, I showed you mine....

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
More in the lines with traditional fantasy:

Patricia Briggs, The Raven Duology:

And her Hurog Duology:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have not read much from the YA section. I know my brother is enjoying the Mortal Instruments series. I found as far as other world fantasy goes, stick to the fantasy section at your book store. Some of the better books/series I have found are:

George R. R. Martin does an excellent job with character development. This book has a lot of political intrigue and some pretty great action scenes too. That link takes you to a bundled book so you get the first and the second book in the series for the price of one. LONG books too, about 800 paper pages each.

These books you may love. They aren't all that well known. A friend of mine turned me on to them. Anne Bishop creates a world with these books that I don't think anyone else could ever even conceive of. It's quite literally amazing and twisted all at once. I very strongly recommend this series.

And then there is always Terry Goodkind, unfortunately only two of this series is on Kindle. Books 1 and 8 (I think.) But book 1 can work well as a stand alone novel, it's a full story and a very great epic fantasy. This book also nears 1000 paper pages so it will give a lot of entertainment for your money.

I hope this are of some help, My vote goes to the Black Jewels Trilogy if you can only afford to buy one. The content matter can be very adult though, so be warned.
-Cory

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Another good one, but needs kindlizing. :-\

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
cjpatrick said:

George R. R. Martin does an excellent job with character development. This book has a lot of political intrigue and some pretty great action scenes too. That link takes you to a bundled book so you get the first and the second book in the series for the price of one. LONG books too, about 800 paper pages each.
I unreservedly second the George RR Martin books. You absolutely can not go wrong with getting the 1st two books for $6.39.

FYI: Definitely for adults.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Here are a few of really good ones:

Couldn't get the cover image for this one. But an awesome read.

The Wayfarer Redemption: Book One

An epic fantasy written in the LOTR tradition.

A YA Book sort of in the Harry Potter Mold except it features a teenage witch instead of a boy-wizard. This is one of those cases where a first class book has been packaged in a second rate cover. As long as you don't judge this book by its cover and give it a chance, you'll be in for a big treat.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kevis Hendrickson said:
Here are a few of really good ones:

Couldn't get the cover image for this one. But an awesome read.

The Wayfarer Redemption: Book One

An epic fantasy written in the LOTR tradition.

A YA Book sort of in the Harry Potter Mold. This is one of those cases where a first class book has been packaged in a second rate cover. As long as you don't judge this book by its cover and give it a chance, you'll be in for a big treat.

I definately have spent too much time with my books. with the exception of Elfhunter, these are the only ones I haven't read. Thank you for the suggestions and I've got a couple more for Fantasy fans
The 1st two of a trilogy, I like the take on gypsies.
Not sure why these authors didn't continue down this line

You guys have any more?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I secon the Anne Bishop Black Jewels Trilogy (there are actually 6 or 7 of them now), And she also has a Fae series that is very good. The first one is Pillars of the World.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I guess this is now officially a Kindleboards challenge! I've read these already as well.
MAGreen said:
I secon the Anne Bishop Black Jewels Trilogy (there are actually 6 or 7 of them now), And she also has a Fae series that is very good. The first one is Pillars of the World.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Jesslyn said:
Okay, I guess this is now officially a Kindleboards challenge! I've read these already as well.
LOL, I'll dig through my collection later, see what I can come up with. I have a sneaking suspicion a number of them will be out of print or not available for the kindle yet.

But while we are at it have you read LE Modesitt's Recluce series? It is hit or miss on the kindle versions.

I'm also assuming you've read David Eddings stuff?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm also assuming you've read Stephen R Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books? Again no Kindle yet.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Riftwar Saga from Feist?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I recently read and Loved The Song of Albion Trilogy by Lawhead:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Dragonlance Chronicles by Weis & Hickman? IIRC it was one of their first series, great stuff:

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
anything by Jim Butcher:
His Furies of Calderon series is good and the Dresden Files series are hilarious!

Robin Hobb's Assassin series is great! 1st taste is currently free! too.....

Midwinter was a recent freebie that looked good but I couldn't finda link:

I really liked the Shadows series:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Chad Winters (#102) said:
I really liked the Shadows series:
Who would have thunk it, lol.

Good books, pleasantly surprised by them. Also ditto on Jim Butcher and Robin Hobb, but I'm thinking Jesslyn has probably read them?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I liked these:

(there is a Kindle version; just couldn't get it to show up in the link maker)

(also a Kindle version that wasn't showing up through link maker)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts