Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thanks for having me here.  I recently transcribed my father's memoirs about his time in New York in the 1940s.  I never really thought of publishing them publicly, but a few people read them and suggested I should.  So after reading some tips from people such as David Gaughram, I put them on Amazon as Kindle and Paperback editions a couple of weeks ago.  After a few launch purchases by friends and people and organisations I specifically contacted about the book, sales have gone completely dead.  I know it's a good book to people interested in that era and genre - it's just a case of making the target audience aware of it.  It's never going to be a best seller but if I could get to 100 sales it would be nice!  So - not sure what I could do next?  Is it best to do targeted facebook advertising to people interested in New York history?  Or is Amazon Kindle advertising the best?  Or something else?  I'd be really grateful for any suggestions.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi mate, congrats on publishing the book!

Yes, advertising with either Facebook or AMS, or even both, is well worth doing. Some books will do well right out of the gate, but it's very very rare, most of us have to advertise to get word out there.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
572 Posts
For family memoirs it's worth asking what you're aiming for: people reading it, or making money.

Either way for any new release that's tailed off a bit, the answer is to make it free or marked down for a few days and promote that on the usual newsletters: Freebooksy, Ereader News Today, Robin Reads etc. A boost in free/discounted sales pushes you up the Amazon rankings and also nets you some reviews. In my experience doing promotional newsletter stuff is a better ROI than Facebook/AMS ads.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Well, you're dealing with what we're all dealing with. There are so many books being published every day it's easy to get swallowed up in that volume. So yeah, you gotta get the word out. Try different things. You can give AMS a shot (I've never done FB ads). Give that a while to see the results you get. Tweak your keywords as necesary. Use the "Search" box in the forum here to explore your questions. This link is a little dated (the prices have gone up) but it's still pretty relevant as a general guide. https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,236763.0.html And keep asking questions here and everywhere. You'll find your way.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
You have to learn how to make good ads, like the rest of us. There's really no other way to get the book in front of potential buyers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ShaneCarrow said:
For family memoirs it's worth asking what you're aiming for: people reading it, or making money
People reading it definitely. I'd prefer if it didn't make me any money - I'm content enough for money.

Not just family though. Anyone interested in New York and US history.

I really just wanted to know which the best next step to take is. I'll try the Freebooksy, Ereader News Today, Robin Reads that you mention.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gareth K Pengelly said:
Hi mate, congrats on publishing the book!

Yes, advertising with either Facebook or AMS, or even both, is well worth doing. Some books will do well right out of the gate, but it's very very rare, most of us have to advertise to get word out there.

Best of luck!
Thanks Gareth - maybe I should do FB for a week followed by AMS? Not sure if that's the best way?

With the FB ad - I presume it is best to target quite specifically - say selecting people 40+ in New York who are interested in history? Or should I let FB work that out itself?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] said:
Maybe try some Facebook readers' groups? It's free!

ETA: Sent you a private message with links. Your book looks very interesting, and I just bought it! :)
Thanks Lorri that means a lot to me - I do hope you enjoy it! I'll research the idea of second world war groups, and see what I come up with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts