Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts

I have not read this yet but I was told yesterday on Goodreads that it is HILARIOUS. I added to my read list immediately.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Jenny Lawson's memoir, 'Let's Pretend This Never Happened' made me laugh out loud. She's not for everyone but it's an account of her life growing up with a dad who's a taxidermist and just not fitting in. If you want to test drive some of her work, check out her blog at thebloggess.com.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Recommending humor, of all genres, is a tough thing. It's so profoundly and confusingly subjective. That said...

Kingsley Amis' Lucky Jim. Understated, very dry British humor.
Daniel Pinkwater's Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, The Worms of Kukulima, Fat Men from Space. Bizarre, gentle, dada-ist.
PG Wodehouse. Almost anything by him. Over the top, dry British humor.
Richard Powell's Don Quixote USA. He's kind of the American equivalent of Wodehouse, if that makes sense. Woody Allen loosely based his Bananas film on this book, but Powell is a million times funnier than Allen in my opinion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
kindlequeen said:
Jenny Lawson's memoir, 'Let's Pretend This Never Happened' made me laugh out loud. She's not for everyone but it's an account of her life growing up with a dad who's a taxidermist and just not fitting in. If you want to test drive some of her work, check out her blog at thebloggess.com.

I love this book! I love her blog. I agree she is not for everyone, because she does swear. A lot! :D (doesn't bother me, but may offend some) But, if you want 'laugh out loud' she does it.

Edited to add: Betsy, yr picture is spooky! ;D

·
Registered
678 Posts
I love fiction that makes me laugh and I always run to the store when Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore have a new release. Carl Hiaasen is a hoot as well. Tom Sharpe is also worth a look. Chuck Pahlaniuk (SP?) can alos be riotous (Choke had me in stitches).

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I'll second Lisa Lutz's Spellman series. Good writing and lots of humor. Along the lines of Stephanie Plum but with a bit more heart (and less Ranger).

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Humor is so personal, it's hard to make recommendations. But some that I enjoy:

Tim Dorsey's "Serge Storm" novels are like over-the-top Hiaasen about a serial killer who specializes in killing people even more despicable than himself (and in bizarre ways).

P. G. Wodehouse is the master of wry World-War-I-era British humor about the upper classes and their foibles. He gave us Jeeves the butler.

Peter DeVries is a mainstream humor novelist. Reuben, Reuben about a womanizing Dylan Thomas-esque poet was made into a film in 1983 starring Tom Conti as the poet and Kelly McGillis as the student who stirs his heart.

Those are three that come to mind offhand.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts