Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long-time neighbors.  Wife has never worked outside the home, at least as long as we've known them.  I've seen him around more than usual lately and the wife just told me today that the husband lost his job, a really good job, too.  This whole mess with the economy.  They are really good people.  I hope this works out even better in the longrun for them, but for now it must be very scary.  :'(

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
My brother was laid off the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. It is a scary time, no doubt.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Scary times...one of the moms was in the PTA office today to tell us that she couldn't come to our holiday party because she couldn't afford to and talking about how she has to juggle the bills and can barely pay their mortgage. While I commiserated with bill juggling, I'm thankful that we don't have issues with paying our mortgage.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I hope everything works out...

This is so crazy - people are loosing jobs or getting their hours cut back (my workload has been cut some as we have clients having issues), yet my mom has been on mandatory overtime

·
Registered
509 Posts
I feel deeply for those planning retirement next year or soon after and have found the value of thier 401(k) funds slashed.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Teninx said:
I feel deeply for those planning retirement next year or soon after and have found the value of thier 401(k) funds slashed.
401(K): Another brilliant legacy of Jimmy Carter.

Oh, hello, there, Teninx. I didn't recognize you without your hat.

Oops, gotta run. I hear Bacardi Jim racing this direction.

·
Registered
509 Posts
In 2006 I rolled my 401(K) into a CD. I was reviled. The financial pros called me 'precipitous', 'misguided' and 'uninformed'. Well, I may be only gaining 4% (less when I roll over next year) interest but the principle is still intact.

·
Registered
788 Posts
My roomie watched her 401(k) drop by thousands of dollars every time she got a statement before rolling it over.

The recession started early in Michigan. I actually had to move to California to get a new job :(

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Teninx said:
Oh how I can relate to that one... hubby's plan was to retire early next year, leave Houston behind and move home to do contract computer support from home... not likely to happen now!

B

·
0 Posts
Luckily, I have a 403(b) though my job which has a fixed rate option. Moved a large chunk of money there.

I also feel blessed to have been led into my chosen career. As a nurse, it is unlikely that I will ever be without a job.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I was lucky enough to work for city government for 11 years with a defined pension plan.  Retirement at age 60, even if you worked another job.  Every time I went into a 401K, the market went down.  Not my fault this time.  I haven't been in a 401K in 10 years. 

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was laid off at the end of February after working for the company for almost 7 years. I was the last employee, how weird was that? I just now started a new job last week. Not been good since my husband is a stay at home dad. I call him my house-hubby. Odd jobs here and there got us through but more and more of our friends are getting laid off too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts