Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a mini laptop (netbook) and was wondering who has one?  Do you like it?  What is good and bad about it?

Have you stuck your camera's memory card in there and tried viewing and editing pictures?  Was it good?  Bad? 

I know a couple of you have mentioned having one.  I'm leaning towards the Acer Aspire One, but I'm still looking.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We just got our kids each an Acer.  They love them and my daughter has loaded pictures onto her from her SD card.  I don't think there has been any editing going on. 

The computers are really cute, but I have to say the screen is too small for me to use for any amount of time.  That and the keys are smaller than normal or kind of squished together so I've had a hard time typing on it.  They can browse the internet without any problems and with a little tweaking my husband was able to install our son's Mindstorms onto his.  The screen resolution is low because of its size. 

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
nickih75 said:
The computers are really cute, but I have to say the screen is too small for me to use for any amount of time. That and the keys are smaller than normal or kind of squished together so I've had a hard time typing on it.
I got my grandson the Acer EEE for Christmas. As nickih said, the screen is too small and the keys are even too small for a 10 year old. The only way I can type on it is to hold my fingers almost straight up and I have to check to make sure I'm hitting shift instead of enter. Definitely can't type with any speed.

Because of the small screen size, I have to use 16 point type when working on a doc. Otherwise, the letters are very faded and broken, at least to these mature eyes.

It works very well and has the features we need, it just takes some adjusting.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a Dell mini (910?) that my husband got for me because he was always hogging the laptop we got a few months before.  Total suprise but I like it.  I only use it for surfing and photos so it doesn't have to do a lot of grinding thinking.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rivery said:
I have a Dell mini (910?) that my husband got for me because he was always hogging the laptop we got a few months before. Total suprise but I like it. I only use it for surfing and photos so it doesn't have to do a lot of grinding thinking.
I was also looking at the a Dell. How do your photos look? Does the lower screen resolution affect the pics?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a Dell Mini 9 and love it.  It's too small to use as a "regular" computer, but for traveling or use in a pinch it's great.

Sharyn

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I've been using my Acer Aspire One almost exclusively since the 1st.  Love it!  Almost all of the posting I've done on Kindleboards since then, including this one, have been on the Aspire. The keyboard is a bit squashed, at first I hit a lot of wrong keys but now I can type pretty quickly on it.  I don't find the screen resolution to be a problem.  For what it's worth, the screen is currently set at 1024x600, 32-bit.  Pictures and videos show well.  Some of the games I've downloaded from Real Arcade don't work well with the graphics settings/card, but I just move on to another one.

Betsy

·
Registered
192 Posts
My photos are for pleasure only.  They look good on the screen to me.  It makes it very easy to bring with me to show my photos, a lot easier to see than on the little screen on my camera.  The small keyboard took some getting accustom to.

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
I have a Sony Vaio. . .one of the small ones. . .one of the original mini-PC's I think.  Couple of years old.  It's cute.  :)

I think the keyboard is fine, though my husband who has bigger hands finds it cramped.  I've gotten the same comment from other big guys who've used it.  The screen is very clear, not huge, of course, but good resolution, and the footprint is small.  Fits in one of those portfolios that have a pad on one side and a pocket on the other.  It's a full computer, not a netbook.

Ann

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I've seen the Acer Aspire One...on G4's Attack of the Show tech review.

[flash=200,200]http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/videos/36201/Acer-Aspire-5735-Laptop-Review.html[/flash]

·
Registered
114 Posts
that review is for the Acer 5735, a 15" laptop, not the 9" netbook Acer Aspire One. 

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have a Dell Mini 9 and love it.  Great for travel and the pictures look fine, the screen is small so you don't notice the lack of resolution as much as you would on a bigger monitor.  :)  I do use a wireless mouse with it because I hate touch pads.  It goes through security at the airport with out notice.

·
Registered
325 Posts
We got an Acer Aspire One a few weeks ago. I'm not really sure why, because we each have a laptop already. However, my fiancé uses his main laptop at work, and uses the Acer to check mail while he's got things processing on the other computer. He said it's useful to take into meetings where he can still check e-mail, and it's a little more discreet and easier to carry.

I also think it will be good for when we travel so that we don't have to cart our laptops (both are 17" ones and fairly heavy). It seems to work fine for surfing and e-mails, but I doubt I'd even attempt to do photo editing or any other heavy work on it. I may also take it outside into the yard or use it in bed, because it's a lot lighter than the larger laptops. For $350, it seems like a reasonable expense for e-mail and surfing (considering it's about the same cost as a Kindle).

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Its not exactly a mini laptop at 12.1 inches and it isn't exactly cheap with 1000$ price tag, but I heard rumors that the HP is creating a 10in inch version of this:

My aunt has one and I love it. Touch screen is really nice, too. (I also use a wireless mouse. On this HP you can click with the stylus that comes with the laptop..or use you fingers) Since my brother broke my old laptop, I may be handing down the one I use now...so you never know what I'll get updated to next. If the 10in in much cheaper....maybe I'll upgrade when I get a job.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i have a dell mini, its great for just surfing the net checking email kinda stuff, 16g hard drive enough for the mini imho, add 2g memory an its super fast! my nephew just got the acer mini, for under $300, hp has a new mini also that looks nice

·
Registered
76 Posts
We just got the Acer Inspire. We both have laptops and a desktop that only gets used when the kids are home.
The Acer was pruchased for traveling. Never again am I going on a trip, deciding not to take laptop because it is
"heavy" and then listening to the whining that comes afterward. The Acer is perfect and I have a bag that it and
the Kindle fit in great. Like everyone says, it is not ideal for heavy everyday work applications but it will take care
of the leisure stuff just fine. I have small hands so I dont mind the keyboard or the screen but the other half has some
problems. I showed to my brother and let him play with it a while and he has since ordered one too.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I have large hands for a woman (as large as my husbands) and while it took a bit to get used to, I have no problems typing fairly quickly on the Aspire.  I concentrated on typing slowly and carefully at first and the speed and accuracy gradually came back.  But as I said, I've been using it exclusively for four weeks.  I wanted to make sure I could live with it as my only computer in San Diego.  And I've been doing some light photo editing with it.

Betsy

1 - 20 of 667 Posts