Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay, I'm so excited! I finally talked hubby into letting me buy a netbook. It's my first so I'm not sure how it'll compare to a regular laptop but I just needed something small I could write on, nothing fancy. I burn through laptops at a rate of about one per year so hopefully this little Acer will last me longer if I take good care of it. Got the warranty though, just in case.

Anybody else have a netbook? How do you like them? I thought I might have trouble with the keyboard being so small but maybe it'll just take some getting used to.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I haven't gotten one yet but I wanted one cause of the space saving and easy access to carrying it along on the go. I'm still wondering would it be to small because it's quit little but it is so cute I would like to hear from someone how they enjoy theirs first. :)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Netbooks are great.  I got one a couple of months ago, and it's much easier to port around than a full sized laptop.  Great if you happen to be a writer, or just need something light and portable to get online with, if you're going on a trip.  I use mine on my lunch breaks at work.  The only drawback is that I can't change my desktop background on mine.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Yay! I got a HP mini last year and love it. It's so much lighter (weighing half as much as 15 in) and the battery life is amazing.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Really like my Asus EeePc.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a pretty big netbook--12.1" screen, I think. It's got a 96% (I think) keyboard, which I don't like. With a full-sized keyboard, I feel like I'm reaching all the time. Which then bugs my wrists, and I hit the wrong keys, too. I've been on it for about 5 months now, and I'm still not used to the "big" keyboard. My last laptop/netbook was a fujitsu with something like an 85% of normal keyboard, which fit my hands better. And I have pretty big hands/ long fingers for a chick.

Battery-life-wise, not bad. Processor, not bad, memory... not the worst. If you're only using it for writing and checking your email, it'll work. Most (all?) don't have enough power to really take advantage of win7, and I get srsly laggy with more than three or four tabs open in Chrome at a time.

Oh, yeah, and if I want to make a Skype call, I have to shut down everything else, plug in, *and* set all power mgmt options to "super performance mode". YMMV. I admit to looking with lust at the MacAir, but it's too expensive for down here, and I'd kill it in a week. Kill the EEE, and I'm out $250, Mac? ZOMG, Dollarz.

Compared to the smexy fujitsu or mac, the cheap netbooks aren't much. But they work, mostly.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I've got a Dell Duo and where it does have it's quirks, it's been a nice buy. The keyboard is very nice and I don't have to worry about key popping off like on my previous laptop. I thought the screen difference would bother me and although I have very bad sight, it has been decent enough. Now that I look at all the lunky laptops, I'm so glad I decided on something more portable. How did I ever think 17 inched was portable?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
I bought an Acer Aspire One (10.1") two years ago after a thread here enabled me.  Haven't used it that much though, since I have a 17" laptop with dvd drive and I don't see the need to carry a computer with me when I go out.  It still works, but since I don't use it much, I have to update the Kaspersky anti-virus each time before I go online with it. 

If I can find the other KB thread, I'll post a link to it, but since it's old, it's good that we have a new netbook thread.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I was also enabled by the evil people here to get one of the Acer Aspire Ones and I love it.  It was really convenient for school and it lets me lay down and still have AIM and such going so I don't have to get up every time someone messages me.  I still don't type on it nearly as quickly or accurately as a normal keyboard, but it's not horrid.  Just don't expect to do anything too taxing with it.  I have managed to watch Netflix and Youtube and the like, but had issues trying to watch iTunes movies with it.  But still, mine is a year or so old and they are nice for the price and size.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
I have a Dell Mini 9 and it's all solid state so it's the one that gets thrown in the trailer when we go camping.  It also ends up in weird places around the house :)
I don't know if they make the 9 any more, but it definitely has a strange keyboard.  Even after having it almost 2 years, I still fumble-finger things because of the awkward placement of the apostrophe.  You can usually tell if I'm typing on the Mini - no contractions or possessives!
The 10" one had a more normal keyboard.

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I love my netbook. I have a Toshiba and I've had it about a year and a half. I had a laptop, but I hated how bulky it was. I write during my lunch hours at my day job, so I needed something I could easily carry around along with my purse, lunch bag, and water bottle. I have been SO much happier with my netbook. The battery lasts much longer than the laptop battery did and it's so light I can easily carry it along with the rest of my stuff.  :D

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've had a Toshiba netbook for nearly 2 years now - the main advantage for me is the lightness as I like to carry it with me on holiday etc. I don't often use it on battery power. My main issue is that if I get tempted to write a whole novel on it (which I have just done again - groan - I should know better) I end up with painful joints, ie wrists and shoulders, but I think this is because I can write on it in weird positions and not so much because of the small keyboard.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It all depends on your preferences. For me, I'm rather tall, and I have long arms and big hands, which just makes typing awful.

However my friend has one and she absolutely loves it, because it doesn't take up much space and she can reach all the keys easier. :)

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Love my Acer Aspire One.  It's a little tight on the keyboard, but it allows me to write on the bus and at lunch.

And I'm not a fan of the touchpad, so I use a mouse when there's space.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I love mine.  It is kind of my back up laptop.  It is so small and easy to carry.  yes, the keyboard will take some getting used to, but not as long as you might think.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I love the portability of my netbook, the battery life, the keyboard is great...but the freaking screen is just too small, and the older I get the smaller it gets... So, I never use it. I ought to, though...I'd feel more comfortable hauling it around on the motorcycle than my iPad.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts