Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
I think it's a clever idea  (sort of, I agree with tensen above), but it doesn't seem to really invite reading. To the uninitiated, they might think it's about penguins or something. It also might be mistaken for a teacher's copy edition, and people scanning a list of books on Amazon or whatever will probably skim right past it. I'm not sure people in skim mode are in a frame of mind to put the puzzle together, simple as it is, so seems like they'd more likely just move along. It would be a fun gift idea for your reader friends out there, though.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I love the concept, but they should have done something like this:

Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently.
We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites.

G

·
Jonathan C. Gillespie said:
I love the concept, but they should have done something like this:

Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently.
We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites.
Agreed. And they should have cut the random penguin.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hahaha it took me a while to catch on. Hmmm, brain must be slow today!

Matthew

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I love it. It's aimed at people like me, who know instantly what the book this is, not for the Grade 10 student needing to find the book for a class project.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think it's brilliant.

But I'm familiar with both 1984 and Penguin Classics.

Agree that to the casual observer who is not familiar with either, not so good.

But this is probably not aimed at them.

It's clever. It made me smile. And want to buy the paperback.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
I like it, but I'm a fan of the book.  It fits in with the Penguin Classics cover, though I wonder why they didn't white out the title and author instead of blacking them out.  It would have fit even better with the Classics look!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
1984 is one of my top 5 favourite books.
It looks like this is meant to have a Penguin classics look, so there wasn't much they could do. In my opinion - nothing to see here.  

If they really wanted to be arty... they could have had almost nothing on the cover - just a black cover with the name. author and Penguin logo almost blacked out - but with a single speck of dust. You couldn't get more powerful imagery than that. Any 1984 fan would know what the book was and others might be intrigued enough to read it.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Dalya said:
Those are all ugly and I hate them.
I got all excited, hoping to see something cool and dystopian looking, and they give me this? Yuk. 1984 is only a passably readable book to me anyway, I get what they were doing. But wow. Would never make me want to give it another try or pick it up for "collecting". I mean, if I wanted to collect 1984, I'd get myself a first edition signed copy. Not a fugly Penguin Classic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts