Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you can't find this in any Bbuy but on advise of a friend who had returned the BW & bought this from amazon , he claimed it was a whiter background and darker fonts than the k4...so I bought one & he was right, really nice reader & it is whiter & fonts darker...yes it has buttons but an improvement , nice reader...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Amazon has some many different versions of the Kindle, it's easy for me to get them confused! But yes, I remember hearing that Amazon was going to make some updates to even their very cheapest "Kindle" devices. (And specifically, greater screen contrast.)

The only bad side to all this is that no matter how many Kindles I buy, Amazon keeps on introducing even newer and better models. It's getting hard to keep up with them all! :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess because it cheaper & doesn't have a light it gets over looked , my friend and I think the screen is the same as the BW as we both had it & returned it except this kindle does not have the light...

edited meant PW, was tired sorry :)

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I considered getting a new one for the supposed screen improvements, even though I already have a $69 ($79 when I bought it) Kindle.  But I succumbed to the inevitable and ordred a Paperwhite.  Will be weeks before I get it, though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thats pretty cheap, but if your going to be spending any real amount of time looking at it, you will probably want a backlight

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Cyanide5000 said:
Thats pretty cheap, but if your going to be spending any real amount of time looking at it, you will probably want a backlight
???

The whole point of the PaperWhite is that it is NOT backlit but FRONTlit and hence likely to cause less eye fatigue during extended use. But it does cost significantly more than that 'entry level' Kindle at $69. And, frankly, if money is an issue, I'd advise to go with the low price one -- realizing that if it's dark you're not going to be able to see the screen. If that's likely to be an issue, save a little longer and get the one that has built in lighting.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The Hooded Claw said:
I considered getting a new one for the supposed screen improvements, even though I already have a $69 ($79 when I bought it) Kindle. But I succumbed to the inevitable and ordred a Paperwhite. Will be weeks before I get it, though.
You keeping the old one for a back-up?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Cyanide5000 said:
I think it really depends on how much reading someone expects to do in lowlight conditions. The regular screen is fine in daylight and in normally lit rooms at night. I got the PW because I like to read a lot late at night after hubby has gone to bed, or in the car. The gently frontlit screen on the Paperwhite is perfect for me. I also have a K4 with a lighted cover; this also works well for me in those conditions.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I got the PW because I like to read a lot late at night after hubby has gone to bed, or in the car. I also have a K4 with a lighted cover; this also works well for me in those conditions.
Betsy
Betsy, was wondering, which ended up being less distracting to your hubby? The K4 with lighted cover or the PW?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
The PW, definitely.  Light level more controllable, points down from level of ereader instead of being up above the ereeader shining down.

Betsy

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
The Best Buy nearest to me has the black $69 kindle (for $69.99).  I was in there last night, but it was 5 minutes before the store closed, so I didn't buy it.  Staples has it too ($69).  I don't know why Best Buy charges extra 99 cents.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
mlewis78 said:
The Best Buy nearest to me has the black $69 kindle (for $69.99). I was in there last night, but it was 5 minutes before the store closed, so I didn't buy it. Staples has it too ($69). I don't know why Best Buy charges extra 99 cents.
Pretty sure they're not supposed to. :-\

And, seems to me I've been hearing lately that they're going to be adopting a 'price match' policy to try to stop people window shopping in their store and then buying on line.

I say if you want to buy it at the Best Buy, make them sell it to you for $69 and don't let them charge you the extra 99¢. :D

It could also be a misprint. :)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
The PW, definitely. Light level more controllable, points down from level of ereader instead of being up above the ereeader shining down.
Betsy
Good to note. For now, I use my lighted case upside down so that my light goes upward instead of down. I just change screen orientation accordingly. So far so good... Still haven't jumped on the PW train... maybe this Christmas. :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Brownskins said:
Good to note. For now, I use my lighted case upside down so that my light goes upward instead of down. I just change screen orientation accordingly. So far so good... Still haven't jumped on the PW train... maybe this Christmas. :)
As a reader, I don't have any issues with my (K3) lighted cover with the light pointing diagonally down toward the screen. It does have the potential to annoy my bed partner, so I have to be a little careful there. I don't seem to have any problems using it on airplanes, but for some reasons I was very conscious of it seeming bright and annoying to fellow passengers on a nighttime bus trip.

So if the PW that I will eventually have allows me to feel that I'm being more considerate of those around me, it will be one of its major benefits.

Veering back toward the thread topic, I would no longer buy any Kindle without a light built into the screen or the cover. Once you factor in the price of the respective covers, then, it reduce the price difference between the K5 and PW from $50 to $30.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Brownskins said:
Well, unless I'm visualizing something wrong, the light is still above the surface of the ereader shining down, with a gap of a couple inches between the light and the surface. :D I guess it would make it a bit easier to hide the light from the side.

Betsy

·
Registered
740 Posts
Brownskins said:
That's genius. Haha. I like a light coming up not down oddly. Great tip. Thanks. Just picked up a lighted case for my k4 . gonna see if this is a better night solution for reading than my new paperwhite which i like much better in the light than in the dark.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Betsy, this is how my K4 looks like upside down... he he he

The light is less distracting to my spouse who sleeps on my left. See normal orientation below. I know... it's just temporary, until I can buy a PW.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I bought the new $69 (black) kindle tonight at Best Buy. They still had the $69.99 price on it, so I asked them to sell it to me for $69, which is the Amazon price (and Staples on their website). They did it (had to run it past the sales person on the floor AND the cashier (the floor person explained to him how he could do this). I know it's standard sales procedure, but what a PIA that the sales person tried to sell me a warranty ("but what if you drop it!"), cover, and wall plug. She said "why don't you want a case?" I have three and I bought the wall plug with my KFHD.

Wow! The text is much blacker than it is on my K4(NT-Silver). The background is lighter, although when I hold the two kindles side by side the difference in the background looks slight.

I went to Staples yesterday. Their website has it "in stock" at my nearest location, which is a Staples copy express store. They only had the silver K4 for $79 on display and there was no one available to help me. All the workers were helping people at the check-out and copy area.

There were two reasons why I decided to buy it in a store. One is that the ATM gave me $300 :eek: instead of $40 on Saturday and I didn't want to mess around with depositing cash back into the machine. Can't order from Amazon with cash. Also, since my temp work is almost always last-minute call-up, I never know for sure if I will be home for delivery from UPS.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Received today, and it definitly has a whiter background and sharper fonts, and has nothing to do with the black bezel as I have put a skin on mine to cover the black. Will do a trade in for my silver one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts