Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got my K1 last June and now with my K2, I've been using either a zip-lok bag or a Dry-Pak 9 x 12 bag to protect my Kindle from water and sand. I live in SW Florida for the winter and spend a lot of time by the pool when we are up North in the summer.

The bags have done their job but there was a problem with condensation building up in the bags on a hot day. Sometimes quite a bit of water formed so that I had to open the bag and dry it out, which defeats the purpose of having it sealed in a protective bag. I remedied this with handsful silica gel packs (the kind you get in new purses and packed with other products). They helped but never really got rid of the problem.

I found the product below and tested it yesterday when I spent most of the day on the beach on an 88 degree very sunny day. It is great! No sign of moisture at all. The product is made to dry out up to 3 cubic ft. of space, so it sure did the job in my little plastic bag. The cool thing is that it is "rechargeable". When the blue dot in the center turns pink, that means it is saturated and can be dried out with 2 hrs. in a 300 degree oven. They say it lasts forever and can be dried out indefinitely. Also, I thought it would be safer for children and pets than all those little silica gel bags sitting around. Only costs $5.99. I bought two, got a 10% discount and paid only $17.73 including the shipping. Well worth it for me. Thought you would all like to know about it too.

Here's a picture link to the product for you beach bumming, pool sitting, bathtubbing Kindlers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks for the info that's a great idea.  I'm in Houston and also spend lots of time at the pool and beach and thought I'd have to go back to paper books for those days.  Not anymore!

·
Registered
208 Posts
thanks so much.  I live on the coast and have a boat, pool and much humidity, this will help so much.  I had been using the little packs that come in shoes, but this will be so much easier.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WolfePrincess73 said:
Is there anyway to recharge it other than in the oven?
No, it has to dry out in the oven. I haven't done it yet as yesterday was the first time I used it. The outer casing is an aluminum colored metal and it looks like it would hold up in the oven very well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
thanks for the reminder.  i forgot i have two of those same silica gel cartridges and they've been in my oven many times with no problem but i haven't used mine in years.  if you ever have a water accident with your kindle or other electronic device quickly put it in a sealed bag with the cartridges to dry out the interior.  unfortunately the K2 doesn't have a removable battery so something might short.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts