Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've made a couple of modifications to our registration procedures, to combat spam.

First, new members that register are now required to enter a valid email address, and must activate that registration by responding to an automatically-generated email.

Secondly, in order to complete the registration process, new members must answer some additional questions. These questions are easy for humans to answer, but difficult for spam-bots to answer.

This is a preventive action. Thankfully, our forums have not yet been hit by spammers, and we're going to do all we can to keep it that way.

None of this should affect any of you who have already registered. If you have problems or concerns, let me know.

- Harvey

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Good!  Kindleboards:  not got much spam in it!

spam spam spam spam. . . . .

Bloody Vikings!!

:)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
"Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam and spam!"
Vikings (singing): Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Now I am curious... this is just as bad as spoilers...
I can't resist them... and NOW, I am wondering... what questions??
Are they easy?? Are they hard?? Would I be able to answer them all??

aaarrrrgggg... lol obsess much?? lol

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Angela said:
Now I am curious... this is just as bad as spoilers...
I can't resist them... and NOW, I am wondering... what questions??
Are they easy?? Are they hard?? Would I be able to answer them all??

aaarrrrgggg... lol obsess much?? lol

I administer several forums like this and nasty boys post dirty pictures if you don't watch all the time. With a board this active that's very difficult without some method to make sure that a new member's legitimate.

Does that answer your question, Angela?

Jeff

·
Registered
25 Posts
No matter how hard you make the registration, you will get spammers.  It's just something you have to deal with.  I run several forums and no amount of "are you a human" questions will keep the determined spammer out.  Nowadays they have legions of people (usually in China) who get paid to register on forums on behalf of spammers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts